• Register Today It's free!

Blower Motor not working!

zee1b

Reaction score
City, State
Central, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer 5.0 2wd
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0 and it is running great BUT the blower motor is not functioning. I assumed it was the motor so I went out and purchased a new one (now i have a spare!!).
What happens--- If I turn on the air conditioning it does engage the A/C clutch but still blows no air. I took a jumper and went straight to my battery (just for testing) and the blower motor fired up and spun with no problems. I do not know much about these systems and need to get this taken care of soon (getting warm down here in Florida). If anyone has experience with same type problem please let me know where to go with this. Is there a diagnostic or repair section for these that anyone has (would be greatly appreciated). What I am really looking for is wiring schematics and factory repair section OR a GURU that can tell me what is wrong.
Thanking You all in Advance, Chuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace the thing in the housing below the blower motor…plugs into the harness…can’t remember the name.

Blower motor resistor? Man my brain isn’t working today

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0 and it is running great BUT the blower motor is not functioning. I assumed it was the motor so I went out and purchased a new one (now i have a spare!!).
What happens--- If I turn on the air conditioning it does engage the A/C clutch but still blows no air. I took a jumper and went straight to my battery (just for testing) and the blower motor fired up and spun with no problems. I do not know much about these systems and need to get this taken care of soon (getting warm down here in Florida). If anyone has experience with same type problem please let me know where to go with this. Is there a diagnostic or repair section for these that anyone has (would be greatly appreciated). What I am really looking for is wiring schematics and factory repair section OR a GURU that can tell me what is wrong.
Thanking You all in Advance, Chuck
The most common is a failure of the speed controller - a.k.a "resistor". There are two different versions, depending on the type of climate control. Is yours automatic with the digital display (EATC) or manual? If you don't want to throw any more parts at the problem, and would prefer to do a step-by-step diagnosis, post the type of your system and we can provide that. Better yet - search the forum, because those issues have been discussed hundreds of times.

Attachments

• air-conditioning-manual-a-c-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 46

The most common is a failure of the speed controller - a.k.a "resistor". There are two different versions, depending on the type of climate control. Is yours automatic with the digital display (EATC) or manual? If you don't want to throw any more parts at the problem, and would prefer to do a step-by-step diagnosis, post the type of your system and we can provide that. Better yet - search the forum, because those issues have been discussed hundreds of times.
Thank you for getting back to me. I most definitely do not want to throw parts at it. It is the EATC style so that is the step by step diagnosis that i would need. Thank You. I looked in the forum but could not locate anything for testing it.

Thank you for getting back to me. I most definitely do not want to throw parts at it. It is the EATC style so that is the step by step diagnosis that i would need. Thank You. I looked in the forum but could not locate anything for testing it.
In general, it will help you to realize that the motor receives 12V power and the speed regulation is on the ground side of its connection.
Hopefully, someone will chime in with the details from a 1996 manual. If not, I can provide those for my 1998 - in the hope that they are identical. To get you started, unplug the blower motor connector and turn the AC on. You should see 12V on one of the two wires (probably pink-white). If confirmed, the problem is in the speed control module or (less likely) the EATC module. If there is no power there, find the blower motor relay in the power distribution box under the hood (at position 9 in my 1998) and temporarily replace with the starter relay (position 6 in my 1998) - your driver's manual will identify those. Don't replace with the PCM relay, which probably looks identical as well - this will disable everything. If replacing the relay solved the problem get a new one and enjoy your AC. Otherwise let us know what you found and we'll take it from there.

In general, it will help you to realize that the motor receives 12V power and the speed regulation is on the ground side of its connection.
Hopefully, someone will chime in with the details from a 1996 manual. If not, I can provide those for my 1998 - in the hope that they are identical. To get you started, unplug the blower motor connector and turn the AC on. You should see 12V on one of the two wires (probably pink-white). If confirmed, the problem is in the speed control module or (less likely) the EATC module. If there is no power there, find the blower motor relay in the power distribution box under the hood (at position 9 in my 1998) and temporarily replace with the starter relay (position 6 in my 1998) - your driver's manual will identify those. Don't replace with the PCM relay, which probably looks identical as well - this will disable everything. If replacing the relay solved the problem get a new one and enjoy your AC. Otherwise let us know what you found and we'll take it from there.
Thank You. I ran into this @ dropbox lastnight 1996-2001 ford explorer.pdf I was able to download it in a format for free with no need to sign up. It shows a LOT of stuff and even diagnostic test for the EATC This weekend is going to full of electrical testing.

Thank You. I ran into this @ dropbox lastnight 1996-2001 ford explorer.pdf I was able to download it in a format for free with no need to sign up. It shows a LOT of stuff and even diagnostic test for the EATC This weekend is going to full of electrical testing.
If anyone needs this and cannot download it from dropbox I saved it as a PDF file on my puter. Feel free to message me if you need it. Peace

Well I was doing the tests per the book and looked down to locate the blower motor resistor (on blower housing) and all that was there was an empty hole!!! The guy i purchased it from had bypassed the resistor in an attempt to get it running but couldn't so he wired it to a key on 12V.
I installed a new blower motor resistor and pigtail (gone!) and nothing!!! Pulled the air cleaner housing off to check the relay only to find it corroded. I replace the relay and now the blower works!!! The only thing that it wont do is shut off with the off button on the EATC but for today I will take this as a win!! Thank You all. Peace

@zee1b Not an Explorer, but on my '03 Durango, and on the same-gen Dakota and Durango I rebuilt it from, the resistors' full-speed wire had melted and separated from the blower motor. I imagine people run their A/C's a lot harder in FL than most places, so be warned that if it needed to be red-necked together once, that the factory setup is going to fail again. I took some higher-gage wire (more resistance) and spliced it back together, and it hasn't given me any issue since. Red-neck jobs for life.

But that's also coming from a guy who refuses to use the A/C unless my ma is along for the ride... Windows FTW!

@zee1b Not an Explorer, but on my '03 Durango, and on the same-gen Dakota and Durango I rebuilt it from, the resistors' full-speed wire had melted and separated from the blower motor. I imagine people run their A/C's a lot harder in FL than most places, so be warned that if it needed to be red-necked together once, that the factory setup is going to fail again. I took some higher-gage wire (more resistance) and spliced it back together, and it hasn't given me any issue since. Red-neck jobs for life.

But that's also coming from a guy who refuses to use the A/C unless my ma is along for the ride... Windows FTW!
We appreciate your advice, but our Explorers are a bit different from you Durango. For one thing, the blower speed control module is not attached to the blower, but inserted into the air plenum.

Now that you have the new eatc resistor in place a new fan motor and a new relay, run the eatc self diagnostics and do a reset

Good job thus far!

We appreciate your advice, but our Explorers are a bit different from you Durango. For one thing, the blower speed control module is not attached to the blower, but inserted into the air plenum.
How true. Incidentally, I've never had any issue with my Explorer's A/C, but the Durango's has been both replaced and torn apart and rigged several times. I'm just saying, depending on why the previous owner of @zee1b 's Ex decided to rig it instead of replace it, the easy way of preventing any further issue with the speed control module (a.k.a. resistor), since he'd have it taken apart any way, would be to beef up the wiring.

And last I checked, the resistor is connected to the blower motor. If it wasn't on the same circuit, changing the amount of resistance on the circuit would not affect the blower speed... study up on electronics, my guy.

Good afternoon, my son has a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport trac and the AC has stopped working. Fan does not blow on any speed, nor in any location (floor, face vents, defrost) for neither heat nor AC. However, the rear seat vents and fan speed controls do work. I was thinking it was the fan motor that is shot, but when I get under the dash and glove box to remove it and go buy a new one, I find that the blower (assuming this is where it is located) is encased in a black box/container/case, that I can not figure out how to get into. Any advice?

^ Welcome to the forum!

The blower motor should be mounted on the passenger side of the firewall, in the engine compartment. From the engine compartment view it looks similar to the picture below.

Unplug the connector to it and measure for voltage (12V+ on full speed). If it's not getting power, the blower probably isn't the problem but you can still pull it and apply 12V to see if it works, or even 18V won't hurt it for a few seconds long test, if you happened to have that voltage, cordless tool battery lying around.

blower.jpg

^ Welcome to the forum!

The blower motor should be mounted on the passenger side of the firewall, in the engine compartment. From the engine compartment view it looks similar to the picture below.

Unplug the connector to it and measure for voltage (12V+ on full speed). If it's not getting power, the blower probably isn't the problem but you can still pull it and apply 12V to see if it works, or even 18V won't hurt it for a few seconds long test, if you happened to have that voltage, cordless tool battery lying around.

So the thing is, when I take the glove box out and look under the dash in the passenger floor, I see a big black case that for the life of me I can not figure out how to get into. I maybe shouldn't have done this, but I did pry it apart at the seam and it doesn't look like to me it has a fan motor in it...like the blade type...what I see looks more like a coil...and that is only from what I can see in the crack. Here is a couple of pics of what I see from looking straight into the glove box hole as well as an underneath pic.

Bottom view.jpg glove box view.jpg

Has to be the evaporator/heater coil box with the blend door. Seal it back up (HVAC aluminum duct tape if nothing else), you don't need to be in there for a non-working fan.

You won't see the fan blade cage (squirrel cage type blower) till you pull the motor off the firewall. Here are more pics of the motor and blade assembly:

In your first picture I can vaguely make out that there's a part # on it, you can internet search that # to see what it is.

Has to be the evaporator/heater coil box with the blend door. Seal it back up (HVAC aluminum duct tape if nothing else), you don't need to be in there for a non-working fan.

You won't see the fan blade cage (squirrel cage type blower) till you pull the motor off the firewall. Here are more pics of the motor and blade assembly:

In your first picture I can vaguely make out that there's a part # on it, you can internet search that # to see what it is.
Ok so that fan motor is 4 to 6 inches across right? There is no room in there around that danged box that something like that could fit. Where else do I look for it? I guess take the control panel off and start chasing wires?

Okay I did more research. Either one of these two:

1) The fan aka blower is mounted on the passenger side of the firewall, accessed from the engine bay, under the hood. See also the pic in post #15, Blower Motor not working!

-OR-

2) The fan aka blower is mounted on the bottom of that box you popped open.

#1 is shown in this video:

#2 is shown in this video:

I think the confusion on this is coming from your '02 Sport Trac having it in the location of the 2nd gen explorers (#1) not 3rd gen (#2).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) The fan aka blower is mounted on the passenger side of the firewall, accessed from the engine bay, under the hood. See also the pic in post #15, Blower Motor not working!

-OR-

I think the confusion on this is coming from your '02 Sport having it in the location of the 2nd gen explorers (#1) not 3rd gen (#2).

@ J

-OR-

I think the confusion on this is coming from your '02 Sport having it in the location of the 2nd gen explorers (#1) not 3rd gen (#2).

Thank you so much! The first video was exactly the location of it. My son and I pulled it and the old resistor out, ran in to Napa and picked up new and now it is all back together and working again. I really appreciate your time to assist me on this. Have a great weekend!

Back