Body Lift in Progress...Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift in Progress...Help Please

tgfrench

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
I started my body lift today and all the prepwork went pretty smooth, except for removing 2 of the body mounts, so I am currently at a standstill.

Picture319.jpg

Picture369.jpg

Picture372.jpg

Picture370.jpg

I ran into trouble with the rear bolt on the passenger side. When I try to loosen it, the rubber spins with it.

Picture389.jpg

Picture394.jpg

Picture387.jpg

Picture388.jpg

My other problem is that I snapped the front drivers side bolt in the threaded section of the mounting location. Does anybody have any suggestions to fix this stuff.

Picture395.jpg

Picture393.jpg

Picture392.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PB Blaster FTW!!!!

used all my pb on my T/A

Get an angle grinder, grind/cut the heads off of the bolts, knock them down, and replace with a regular bolt/washer/nut setup.

dewalt-angle-grinder--7in.-8500-rpm-15-amp-model-d28474w.jpg

Does it matter if its a dewalt?

Clamp some large vice grips on it to keep it from spinning. that usually does the trick.

The head is the part that broke off. The spot it broke off at is a threaded area pictured, so the grinder wouldn't help. I tried using clamps and vice grips in the back but no luck. Will try again with that tomorrow with a clear head. Still unsure about what I will do in the front. Was thinking about drilling it out?

The head is the part that broke off. The spot it broke off at is a threaded area pictured, so the grinder wouldn't help. I tried using clamps and vice grips in the back but no luck. Will try again with that tomorrow with a clear head. Still unsure about what I will do in the front. Was thinking about drilling it out?

I'd say drill it out, but make sure whatever bolt/washer/nut you end up using actually fits. If you have something else to work on, I'd also say hit it with lots of PB (pick up another can! you never want to run out of that stuff) and wait a little while, and try again before you drill.

Body lift is done. with a clear mind i got those mounts taken care of in no time, however once i put the pucks in one side, there was torrential downpour. that was no fun

Any pics of the finished product?

pics coming soon....waiting on my shackles, damn things ended up being back ordered then I need to find some used 33's

i just got mine done too, the one on the very rear wouldnt come out so i just cut the head off, and it slid right out

but i cant undo the very front two from the bushing, the nut on top came off, so it could lift up but that's about it. I bought huge vise grips a huge monkey wrench and a huge clamp and used them all at the same time but it still couldn't hold it, im about ready to cut those ones off too

the very front two you can just fully drill out, as it is necessary to do so in order to install the kit bolts. the width is not thick enough for them with the treading in the way.

Nice work. Looks like rain made it a little more difficult. When I did mine it was 90+ degrees. I swear I drank over a gallon of water and pissed once.

Do it, Si!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lucky!! It was 103 here and i had no help :(

I had my father. Huge help. Wouldn't have gotten it done in a weekend without him. The heat was absolutely brutal, though. I can't imagine 103...

Back