body lift question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

body lift question?

van_redbone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 AWD
I looking for help on how to do a body lift on a 1997 Ford Explorer...I already have purchased the PA-853, but I was curious to know if there was a "how to" thread out there somewhere. I searched this forum as well as the internet in general and couldn't find anything relatively good. I read over the directions that came with the kit for the Ranger, but I wasn't sure that I needed to do everything it said. I have talked to a few people on this forum and they said that I would have to trim a bracket on the raidator support, and another mentioned something else (can't remember exactly what his advice was).
Basically, if there is a "how to" thread out there would someone PM it to me, and if not, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the oreilly's here I picked up a accessory catalog that was there right when you walk in and shows how to do a body lift on a ranger but I think it would aslo help you.

At the oreilly's here I picked up a accessory catalog that was there right when you walk in and shows how to do a body lift on a ranger but I think it would aslo help you.

do you know that name of the catalog?

I read the link above, and for the most part have been able to follow it. I have a few questions though. Where do I find the following items?

"Find the tranny shift cable and remove it from any clips. "

"4WD models-Disconnect the motor cable and leave it for now. If there is a strap holding it, remove the strap. "

"There is a sheet metal cover on the inside of the drivers side frame rail. You will see it from the engine compartment. Check to see if you have to remove it and unhook some brake lines."

Thanks!

I have a 97 Expl. XLT and have looked everywhere for a body lift. what is the PA-853??? who makes that. - And, if I can find an answer to your search for better instructions I'll send them to ya. thanks

I have a 97 Expl. XLT and have looked everywhere for a body lift. what is the PA-853??? who makes that. - And, if I can find an answer to your search for better instructions I'll send them to ya. thanks

it's for a 95 -97 ford ranger you can find them on Google shopping, or i got mine off e-bay! PA= Performance Accessories brand.

Like the guy before this thread mentioned, it is the Performance Accessories body lift, part number 853. It is used on the 95-97 Ford Rangers, but can be used on the 95-97 Explorers as well. The instructions are a little different, so that is why I have tried to follow others directions. The directions in some of the other forums that I have read are pretty simple to follow, but as you see I have had just a few questions (which I still haven't figured out yet)...

Does the kit have every thing you need? I meen like i know on some vehicles if you go with a 3 inch lift you need an extension for the steering and the shift cable for the transmision.

Does the kit have every thing you need? I meen like i know on some vehicles if you go with a 3 inch lift you need an extension for the steering and the shift cable for the transmision.

I have read that you can use the steering extension from the kit, and I have also read that you can't. I plan on attempting to use it. Hope it wont :roll: . As for the shift cable, I believe you just have to disconnect it from any mounting clips.

ok i was curios about it my self Cause i know the explorer is based off the ranger but i wasnt sure if every thing in the kit was interchangable. I have been thinking about ordering one in a few months but want to make sure every thing will work.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to hold the body mounts in place while twisting the bolt? I have removed seven of the ten mounts, but three of the body mounts are turning as I turn the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Anyone have a suggestion on how to hold the body mounts in place while twisting the bolt? I have removed seven of the ten mounts, but three of the body mounts are turning as I turn the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Channel lock/pipe wrench.

So hows it going are you finished with it yet? ALso did you happen to take pics?

So hows it going are you finished with it yet? ALso did you happen to take pics?

Not finished yet...school and work are hectic. I haven't taken any pics thus far, but if you have any questions as to the location of something I would be more than glad to help.

Ok cool. I have been really thinking about diong this along with a TT and shackle lift. I just want to get all my information before I start in on any thing lol.

Does any one sell a bumper bracket for the explorer or do you have to fabricate your own>?

Ok cool. I have been really thinking about diong this along with a TT and shackle lift. I just want to get all my information before I start in on any thing lol.

Does any one sell a bumper bracket for the explorer or do you have to fabricate your own>?

I could be wrong but I think that you can buy the rear bumper bracket from Performance Accessories, but you will have to fab a new front one. There are dimension for the one for the front on the forum somewhere (do a search), and also the part number for the rear bumper bracket is on here somewhere as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok cool thanks

Back