How to: - C4/D20 Swap in Progress | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: C4/D20 Swap in Progress

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
well, I started my tranny/t-case swap last sunday. its a Ford C4 auto 3-speed out of a 70s model Bronco that I rebuilt myself. I also installed a B&M Transpak Shift kit. The transfer case is a D20 out of the same Bronco and it has Twin Sticks. my buddy TJ came by the house with his tow rig and trailer and we trailer the Sploder to his place. while he went out to eat I stayed behind and started workin on her....

here's a quick breakdown of the progress so far....

Sunday::
Removed both front seats, pulled back the carpet to the back seats, unbolted the factory plate covering where the manual shifter would come up if I had a manual tranny. I then unbolted the d-shafts from both ends and drained the tranny. Also, the transfer case was dropped.
(removed broken pic links)

Monday::
TJ and I unbolted the tranny and started pullin it.... I"m glad I'm puttin in an older tranny, none of that crappy electical connection crap!! and yes, that's all we got done monday, it was a PITA pullin the tranny without droppin down the exhaust.

I will be back out there on Thursday, so I will post updates by just editing this post.... Lemme know what you think so far.

==Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dipstick enters into the transmission case through the case, and in a pan fill transmission, the dipstick enters into the tranny pan.

--Ryan

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

UPDATE::

It's Done!!!

I rolled it out tonight. and its done.... well.... ok, its driveable :roll:

There are a few problems that I need to address:
1) I need a new Dipstick Tube b/c this one leaks
2) It is not automatically shifting
3) It is not downshiftin to first when I come to a stop
4) It does not feel like its startin out in first gear
(I think 2-4 have to do with the valve body which may need rebuilt, b/c I over looked it in the original rebuildin stages *most looked-over part of a tranny rebuild*)

I LOVE the MegaShifter though. I will get some pictures up tomorrow when its light out. Thanks to all that helped me as I did this swap, I GREATLY appreciate it!

--Ryan

I thought this was a 3 speed?

Looking forward to seeing how it drives once you get it all straightened out.

looking forward to pics of the megashifter. Been thinking about getting one for the AOD and modding it for the A4LD.

:chug: :chug:

thought you needed to use a non-lockup converter from a C4 in this swap?

double check the vacume modulator on that tranny i have seen a couple leak, also if you want a bang per buck upgrade look at the art carr? reverse patern full manual valve body (good choice if you dont mind shifting every gear plus you get P-R-N-1-2-3).

what did you do with the speedo cable? does the factory explorer cable fit?

i am still trying to figure if i want a C4 or a ZF and 5.0... decisions decisions.

ok, to answer everybody's questions.....

JoshC:: yes, it is a 3speed
HotWheels:: is the c5 tc a lock up? I'm not sure... I"ll check into it, as far the speedo cable, yes the factory one worked, but theres some bugs in it that right now that I have to check into later this week.

I won't be able to work on it again until Thursday :( but I'll keep everybody updated on the breakin and the details I"m doin to finish up the interior.

--Ryan

Hotweels said:
thought you needed to use a non-lockup converter from a C4 in this swap?

Everything I've read says you use a C5 T/C in this swap and that's from 3 different forums.

:chug: :chug:

i had this chat a while back with a friend of mine who is a ford driveline tek just seem to remember him saying stay with the C4 parts as much as possible, from what i read about it just now the C4 converter will bolt to all the 2.8/2.9/4.0 flex plates (was surfin TRS tek forum) but there are some other issues that result in the converter not fully seating in the front of the tranny with certain flex plates.
the TRS tek also says there are 2 styles of C5 converter and one is no longer available, the new C5 converters are non lockup.

advance adapters V8 conversion info also says if you have a C5 and convert to a V8 you need a C4 valvebody and converter to prevent some issues with lockup but hey this is pretty shady ground yer walking on and a compleat write up on this swap does not exist as far as i know just bits and pieces of info.

but from what you have described i would double check the vacume modulator on the tranny... if it's anything like a C6 or a turbo 350 they wont shift down unless that modulator is doing it's job and they will shift up but it takes about 5000rpm.

i currently have a D20 J-shift on my work bench and a blown tranny in my X but am undecided on what to do..... your C4 swap is kinda inspiration to get my junk back on the trail :)

this will sound strange to you but this is a common thing actually. at least 75% of the people who have their c4 rebuilt have the same issues as you do. given 100 or so miles the usually start shifting like they should. i dont know why but its actually a common issue i hear about. glad to hear you got it moving under its own power again.

This is what I guy with an EB and C4 told me.... he said not to worry about unless I get around 300 miles on it and it still doesn't shift.

--Ryan

update::

I'm got about 80 miles on it so far.... and its still not shifting, and when I shift it, its Still REAL soft.... and at about 35 mph in first gear, it slips for the slightest second, same with when I shift into 3rd gear.... is this normal too?? other than that though, its doin great, I love having front wheel drive if I want it

--Ryan

INteresting, keep us posted. :)

thanks.... I REALLY need help with my problem.... but until then, I'm takin er wheelin fer the first time this Saturday.... trailerin it down, and gonna go have fun (haven't wheeled in about 4.5 months.

--Ryan

Your going wheeling in it and its not starting in 1st gear or shifting right?

410Fortune said:
Your going wheeling in it and its not starting in 1st gear or shifting right?

haha, it sounds stupid I know, but since all I do is rock crawl, and I can manually shift gears with my MegaShifter, I think she'll be ok.... b/c I'll be in 4lo the entire time and will only be in either Park, Reverse, or first gear (manually) . I think I'll be ok.
--ryan

OH I C so you have 1st gear if you use the shifter, hopefully your problems are jsut an adjustment then and not something internal

410Fortune said:
OH I C so you have 1st gear if you use the shifter, hopefully your problems are jsut an adjustment then and not something internal

yes, I can shift manually through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear on the shifter, but as soon as I put her into drive, it starts acting up..... I"m gonna double check the check ball under the tranny filter and see fi its there (its supposed to be, but I never remember seeing one, even when I first tore it down)

so how did this all turn out?

Hotweels said:
so how did this all turn out?

well, I've gotten away from the project. b/c when I took it out wheeling, I blew up the rear end, so I've started workin on my full width axles that will be swapped in there....

as far as the tranny, I haven't had the time to drop the valvebody and check the check ball, and vac mod. and such..... I'm hoping to get a chance later this summer (been VERY hectic laterly). and if I can't figure out this problem, I'm just gonna say screw it, take out the tranny and take it to a tranny shop and have them look at it.

Sorry for so long with no update, as far as pics, you can go to my cardomain site and check them out.... www.cardomain.com/id/carfreak146

--Ryan

I just placed a link to this thread in the "Useful Thread" forum. Congrats on an excellent swap. :thumbsup:

wow, thanks Rick..... This will keep me more inclined to updating for everybody.... I guess I need to get workin on it again.

--Ryan

Back