• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

California Emissions System on PIU

GalpinFan1221

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Volvo XC90 R Design
Are all PIUs equipped with CA emissions or only in select states? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Can't say for sure but I would think it would meet CA emissions standards. I'm sure someone with an actual PIU would be able to answer that better, FYI, my 2017 Platinum which is not to be sold/registered in the U.S. has a label on it saying it meets EPA and California emissions.

Peter

GalpinFan1221

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Volvo XC90 R Design
Thanks. By the way my friend is also Canadian and has owned a Highlander too.

BatDoctor

Reaction score
City, State
Capitol City, NEVADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PIU
Callsign
KC7ARS
Mine was GSA vehicle and is not Commie-fornia compliant. It came form the Mid West.

thefranchise713

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
It depends how the vehicle is ordered. I believe specific states allow emergency vehicles exemptions for California emissions; including those that require it for new cars otherwise. Fairly confident Ford sells them both ways.

You may want to consult an attorney or your local Google-fu if you're feeling lucky. If you're considering a non-California emissions equipped PIU, check local laws if your state requires California emissions on new cars and what the exemptions are for new vs. used vehicles. In New York, last I looked you can bring in a used non-CA emissions vehicle under certain circumstances.