CALLING ALL NORTHERN CO GEARHEADS!! 4" lift project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CALLING ALL NORTHERN CO GEARHEADS!! 4" lift project

i think this is the right place for this thread.
As some know, ive been planning a 4" superlift on the old girl. well, its on its way, and ive finally found a garage! so, im extending an offer/request that anyone who finds themselves in fort collins in the next week (10-22 to 10-29ish) with some time to kill is invited to lend a hand. id like to pump this out in as little time as i can, so help is appreciated. ESPECIALLY if you know how to pull a torsion bar :thumbsup:.

Also, has anyone done a "how to" on the slf-k494? if not, i just might.

Heres the game plan.
-4" superlift part k494 97-01 explorer/mountaineer
-new ball joints
-new tie rod ends
-new CVs
-33" bfg mud terrains
-new rotors if i can $$$
-god knows what else ill run into

lastly, does anyone know where to get a front drive shaft that will work for that lift? superlift wants $400, which i dont want to part with.

Anyone interested, PM me or leave a reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats left you say?
-knuckles need to go in
-tie rod ends pulled
-cvs need to go back in
-wait for ford to mail me the torsion insulators (only found on 98-01 explorers, all mountaineers and early explorers have a different torsion key setup)
-wait for superlift to send my shock mount
-wait for my driveshaft to be made
-go to home depot and pick up random hardware superlift didnt include

:rolleyes: Its going to be a long night :rolleyes:

See ya around 6ish tonight

Make sure to put the d-shaft hardware into a zip loc baggy, you'd hate to loose those little guys

enjoy a cold one :thumbsup:

Repeat that about 12 times

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

jt- those are the critters. cept a little newer :) lol

So pissed off/frustrated. today had so many setbacks. nothing in is lining up in front, the brackets seem too big for everything, a seal is about a 32nd too big, i need a special order seal for the cvs, i have to get the ring out of the knuckles, and a tie rod end wont budge. in other words, i think i even back tracked tonight trying to get the stupid diff to fit, which it still doesnt. damn it all, i just want this to work.

ok so, looks like friday is going to be the last ooraa, knock on wood. everything is ready to put humpdy back together again. torsion insulators, u joint bolts, and shock mount will be here today or tomorrow. so far, brett said he should be there, tim will be there. any other takers? last call lol. the geometry is still a little out of wack though, which has me a wee bit on the concerned side.

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet :p::
:ttiwwp:

in all honesty, im suprised too lol. ill snap a couple today on my way to work so :p: lol

tbe2002 tim, dont know the other guy. going to town on it at 4 till i finish.

picture time everybody, gather round.

IM000987.jpg

knuckle and cv time!!
passenger
IM000986.jpg

driver
IM000984.jpg

IM000983.jpg

old parts pile (if its not a skid plate or sway bar, tire, or torsion bar, and you want it, let me know)
IM000985.jpg

my rabbit was getting jealous :rolleyes:
IM00990.jpg

next time you see her, she should be on her feet!!

jt-yes thats them. heres a new out of the box pic of them.
IM000991.jpg

Update?
If I knew you were wrenching on Friday, I would have stopped by
smilie_beer2.gif

This is off topic -- but I looked over some webcams today and I saw that some parts of CO had already received quite a bit of snow!?!?!? WTF!?! Some resorts even opened for the season today!!

Put the 4" lift project aside for a day and go get some powder run in ya newbs!

toypaseo-you missed out on wrenching with worsteiner lol.
izwack-its amazing! mountains have some, but most of the resort snow is artificial right now. already have a foot + back in my home town 2 weeks ago. just cold now.

IT IS FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to brett, nick, and tim. good company and good help. if you all ever need anything, let me know. and thanks to the forum for giving me the bug lol. id have pics but its, well, 2am. ill show you all once i get the tires tomorrow. gunna have them inspect it tomorrow when i get my alignment to make sure i dont die. a few clunks are normal... right? and as a side note, pb blaster smells like **** when it burns off your cats. wish me luck as i drive it back here and to get the alignment lol. im just glad this is done, one hell of an undertaking. pics up tomorrow :).

No problem jim, I wish I could have stayed longer and done more then just yesterday but glad to here you got it all together...Can't wait to see it on some new tires...(waiting for pics)

This is off topic -- but I looked over some webcams today and I saw that some parts of CO had already received quite a bit of snow!?!?!? WTF!?! Some resorts even opened for the season today!!

Arapaho Basin set a record for earliest opening this year... it was Friday Oct 12th I think.

Keystone and Copper Mountain opened yesterday. The rest of Summit County/Vail Valley is opening by Thanksgiving.

Put the 4" lift project aside for a day and go get some powder run in ya newbs!

That is exactly what I plan on doing tomorrow. I think Jeff (FlyBoyCoe) and I are heading up to go snowboarding at Keystone ~ maybe I'll bring the snowboarder chick that I picked up in line at Qdoba when I was on my way over to help Jim wrench on his truck ;)

Keystone and Copper Mountain opened yesterday.
Yeah Copper Mountain, thats the one I viewed through the webcam. I'm so jealous!

wow thats early for copper to open

That is exactly what I plan on doing tomorrow. I think Jeff (FlyBoyCoe) and I are heading up to go snowboarding at Keystone ~ maybe I'll bring the snowboarder chick that I picked up in line at Qdoba when I was on my way over to help Jim wrench on his truck ;)

Boarding with Brett today was a blast, although the amount of ski-able terrain was minimal, and it was crowded, AND the fact that Brett didn't deliver on the girls. Still a good time though. Probably make another run on the 21st.

jealous of the boarding, i need to get my lazy ass up there soon. pics are non existant now cuz my friggen alignment took a good 4+ hours yesterday at brakes plus, so i didnt have time to get them. theyll be on tomorrow after class and pics will follow.

one thing has me a little worried right now. theres like this weird grinding feel when im accelerating, or coasting when theres some engine breaking. is that the stock driveshaft preparing to die?

Back