CALLING ALL NORTHERN CO GEARHEADS!! 4" lift project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CALLING ALL NORTHERN CO GEARHEADS!! 4" lift project

i think this is the right place for this thread.
As some know, ive been planning a 4" superlift on the old girl. well, its on its way, and ive finally found a garage! so, im extending an offer/request that anyone who finds themselves in fort collins in the next week (10-22 to 10-29ish) with some time to kill is invited to lend a hand. id like to pump this out in as little time as i can, so help is appreciated. ESPECIALLY if you know how to pull a torsion bar :thumbsup:.

Also, has anyone done a "how to" on the slf-k494? if not, i just might.

Heres the game plan.
-4" superlift part k494 97-01 explorer/mountaineer
-new ball joints
-new tie rod ends
-new CVs
-33" bfg mud terrains
-new rotors if i can $$$
-god knows what else ill run into

lastly, does anyone know where to get a front drive shaft that will work for that lift? superlift wants $400, which i dont want to part with.

Anyone interested, PM me or leave a reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you guys doing any work tomorrow/today? (Sunday?)
I might be able to come up and play. Test out the highway on my new tires :D (And I can supply my own wrenches)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got my some of my senior pictures done with today...So thats out of the way, and I don't work till 5 pm morrow...

Do you guys have any idea of when the wrenching will begin tomorrow(sunday) cause I am more likely to make it tomorrow then today...(would anything need to be brought?)

p.s. does anyone have an idea wtf these are??

IM000978.jpg

Those are bumpstop extensions- one for each side. One is shorter than the other- the short one goes on the passenger side where the strap for the diff is.

thanks mountaineergreen! i was way to tired to work on it at all tonight, but ill be there all day tomorrow into the afternoon in hopes of getting most the front done. if i get some helping hands, should be able to knock the whole front out. im planning on 10am to about 8pm again.

that would be a bit of a hike :confused: haha! thanks though:thumbsup:

ok so today (monday), will be the undoing of the front. gunna crank up here soon. be there all day, so feel free to drop by.

brett- so i talked to fort collins 4x4 and superlift. they said the brake stuff in back in unnecessary. and the shock? yeah, theyre mailing me a new mount for the top of the shock. not a new shock. that should be fun to change.

ok so today (monday), will be the undoing of the front. gunna crank up here soon. be there all day, so feel free to drop by.

brett- so i talked to fort collins 4x4 and superlift. they said the brake stuff in back in unnecessary. and the shock? yeah, theyre mailing me a new mount for the top of the shock. not a new shock. that should be fun to change.

How in Sam Hill are you supposed to change the flattened mount piece on the top of the shock?

What are you supposed to do in the back, bend the bracket down?

I've got class till 5:15 today, I can help you out tonight if you want ~ I'm going to try to break my record of pulling the diff in 45 min ;) (Sorry, I didn't get back into FoCo until after midnight last night)

Told ya they were bumpstop extensions :p:

haha ya ill give ya that one! well with homework and a event (roomie's girl's car acting up) i only was able to put in a couple hours today. got the front end ripped out, made a torsion puller for $5, and got sick of fighting with the lower ball joints so called it a night. all thats left is the diff and part of the passenger side. now, i hate to sound desperate but i am lol. i want this done. PLEASE HELP!! if i have 3 even 2 people on it tomorrow it will be done, and my friend can have his garage back. cranking up about 2:15. best way to get a hold of me is contact one of the first few posters and get my phone number. im not a beggar, but this is a rare time that im beggin for a helping hand. thanks fellas.

ps. he said treat the shock eye like a ball joint and just hammer it out into a socket. i think ima make them do it lol.

Forgot I had a test tomorrow... been studying for that ~ its hard making time during the day

I have to work until around 4-5 tomorrow but then I can help ya. I'll give you a call

no worries man, my days are jammed as well which is dragging this project out. good luck on the test:thumbsup: ill be under the ol' girl wrenchin away haha.

I would offer my meager assistance, but my schedule is 6am-2:30pm(?) , then back at 9:30pm to 6am(?).

I might stop by to say hello, and drop off some "cold beverages". Anything you prefer to sip while wrenching?

good to meet people on here too! um, ask hokie, i think he'll be giving a hand.

well ill be over there and away from my computer till later, so give a ring if youre planning on stopping by!

We made some headway today... got everything tore out of the front end and got the front diff hung on the drop brackets. If it is replaceable or wears out on the front end, Jim is replacing it lol

The damn lower ball joints were a PITA to get out... we figured it out though :hammer:

Hey Jim, remember how I said I thought I was laying in the puddle of spilled gear oil? Turns out, not only was I laying in it, but the back of my head got soaked in it. I had to shampoo my hair about 12 times, 2-3 of those were with Palmolive dish soap :eek: That is nasty, nasty stuff!

I think we can knock it out tomorrow evening ~ another helping hand would definitely be a plus

I think by that point, it's better to just shave the head...

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I was going to run the Superlift kit, until I got on here and everybody told me to just TT/shackle it. Altho my 2" lift was $70. That 4" is about $2k (new).

haha the back of my shirt was covered in that stuff. never liked that shirt anyways i guess lol. an incinerator might get the lovely odor out, cant say much for the shirt afterwards. i think the hair thing has got me beat though, 101 uses for palmolive haha. im pretty anxious myself about her. yeah, my card damn near ignited when he swiped it for this thing.

ok update. as brett said the front is gutted (kinda erie lookin haha). got the lca's back on with the drop brackets. one is sitting kinda crooked though, i hope it fixes itself after a couple hundred miles. upper control arms back in. damn that drivers side bolt, i was close to just putting the bolt in the other way lol. whats left you say?
-knuckles need to go in
-tie rod ends pulled
-cvs need to go back in
-wait for ford to mail me the torsion insulators (only found on 98-01 explorers, all mountaineers and early explorers have a different torsion key setup)
-wait for superlift to send my shock mount
-wait for my driveshaft to be made
-go to home depot and pick up random hardware superlift didnt include
-enjoy a cold one :thumbsup:

haha the back of my shirt was covered in that stuff. never liked that shirt anyways i guess lol. an incinerator might get the lovely odor out, cant say much for the shirt afterwards. i think the hair thing has got me beat though, 101 uses for palmolive haha. im pretty anxious myself about her. yeah, my card damn near ignited when he swiped it for this thing.

ok update. as brett said the front is gutted (kinda erie lookin haha). got the lca's back on with the drop brackets. one is sitting kinda crooked though, i hope it fixes itself after a couple hundred miles. upper control arms back in. damn that drivers side bolt, i was close to just putting the bolt in the other way lol. whats left you say?
-knuckles need to go in
-tie rod ends pulled
-cvs need to go back in
-wait for ford to mail me the torsion insulators (only found on 98-01 explorers, all mountaineers and early explorers have a different torsion key setup)
-wait for superlift to send my shock mount
-wait for my driveshaft to be made
-go to home depot and pick up random hardware superlift didnt include
-enjoy a cold one :thumbsup:

please show me a picture of this torsion key isolator?

sure! ill post it as soon as i get it. i can give you a ford part number if you want.... is it an isolator or an insulator?

Back