Calling the mod squad

EddieMoney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ranger sport 4x4 4dr
Greetings, I'm Eddie. I havent formally posted an introduction yet but I will soon.

You may have already read 410fortune's build thread. If not, go read it. Those who have, have a general idea of what's to come. I'm excited!!

None of the mods planned are totally original nor is the combination to the best of my knowledge. That was never the goal. But, I'm sure most here who have modded their truck have considered unique badges (emblems) myself included.

Do an extensive internet search and you'll find ranger shelby's, platinums, svts, lightenings, and just about anything mustang or F150 related. Then there are those who plastidiped, blacked out, body colored or used vintage badging.

The only ones I havent seen are ranger lariat, and 410fortune's idea of a ranger premier. While I like both of those it still feels like doing the same as everyone else.

I ordered a bunch of emblems and viewed hundreds more. I came up with a couple variations I liked and thought that solved the issue. But, I realized Itll be a big arts n crafts project and for the amount of work it will be individual and unique, but still just like everyone else's.

The factory appearance appeals to me. i also like sleepers. I know it will be hard to hide the rumble of the V8 or the 35" tires and lift. But that'll nag at pasers by and make them want to take a closer look. This is where the badging comes in to play. The right badges can give the appearance of a rare trim package, high performance, or luxury model that they've never heard of. Lol.

Real estate for badges is pretty limited unless you want to plaster them all over. A majority of the emblems available look cheap or are not to the right scale.

After all this, I had an epiphany. Why confine it to be a one off "ranger" when It can be anything.

Why not do something like this....
72_131501_290000000.jpg

Any thoughts? Everytime I look at it I think, who shot JR (Ewing) lol. Sacrilegious?

Here come the Pinto jokes...

Then again, I could just leave the emblems as they are....huh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:popcorn:

I've order my arts n craft supplies and I have a box full of emblems. I'm gonna put some together and post pics incase anyone want to share any thoughts

Following. Interested in what you come up with and use.

Most don't know the difference from a peach and a nectarine, and just call it a piece of fruit. Name it what ever gives you the feels, and add a trim package name of your own, like the Premier package.

90% of the public won't know what it is no matter what you do. So go crazy with it!

@gmanpaint

Thank you. Can I assume from your handle that you are a painter? If so I have a couple questions.

I am a professional painter by trade, but not in the automotive industry. My field is in Commercial/Residential with spray finishes being my area of expertise.

@MONMIX is our resident expert automotive painter around here. I'm sure he can help you.

I'm not doing anything too crazy. I bet you can help. I'll post the details this evening and you can decide if it's in your area of expertise.

I want to paint some emblems. I believe they are chromed plastic.

I have the grey ultrafine scotch pads to scuff. Bulldog plastic adhesion promoter, rustoleum matte black, and 2 cans of single stage vista blue thats hasn't arrived yet.
20190822_183924.jpg

I think you can see where I'm going with this but just in case. I'm trying to recreate this but in vista blue
41AwzbaZFNL._AC_SY400_.jpg

And heres a teaser of the box of emblems.
20190822_183619.jpg

What's the gloss on the vista blue?

Reason I ask is you have the matte black for the background color.

I would suggest a good final clear coating with uv protection over all of it. But... if you want 2 different glosses, that's not going to work too well.

I imagine all your paints are solvent based as well. If any are fast dry, they are a "hot" product. Plastics and hot paints don't play well. Acrylics work best.

The chrome plating on them is super thin, and can wrinkle with hot products. Test all your paints on something the same as your final product ahead of time, to see the reactions.

How are you planning to apply the two colors? Mask and spray each, one after the other? Spray black, then spray or brush the blue?

The vista blue is a single stage so my understanding is it doesnt require a clear coat. I didnt order any clear but I might. I believe I'm working with acrylic enamels, but yes I'm concerned about melting plastic and using the wrong kinds of paint. Live and learn I guess...

Heres my plan. Scuff it, clean with isopropyl n water. Once dry I'll hit it with a couple coats of plastic adhesion. Then I'll knock down any nibs and do a couple coats of the matte black. I'll let it completely cure over night so when I put on the tape it wont pull up the paint when I remove it. I'll lay the tape over the letters and cut them out with an exacto knife, then spray a couple coats of the blue and cross my fingers. Lol.

The emblem I want to experiment with only came in packs of 2. So I bought 2 packs so I have one to waste if need be.

I'm going to say you have messed around with automotive paints before using terms like "Nibs". Most don't know what that is. lol This is a good thing.
You got this covered for the most part.

The scuffing, cleaning, and de-greasing is a good idea. Same for the adhesion promoter. After the promoter, I would put on a primer coat, before the color topcoats tho. Not saying you have to use a primer, but it would work the best for the long haul. A final clear coat would also ensure the longevity of the paint job's aesthetics. When you clean them, you will be cleaning the clear, not the color paint. When something brushes against them, it's the clear that takes the damage.

I don't know what single stage your using. I only know of two part urethane single stage paint. In a normal HVLP automotive application, it doesn't need a clear coat. It gets it's shine from a good cut & buff, then a polish/wax. You said "Cans" of it, so I assume it's a two part spray can like Eastwood has.

Eastwood has some great two part paints in a spray can. From engine paint to detail paint, and clear coats with UV protection. These spray just like a spray gun, and are simple to use with a professional result. All that goodness in one package, does come with a premium tho. They are not cheap compared to everyday spray bombs. I know it's too late, as you already have the product, but check it out, and if what you have doesn't work out, this product will definitely work for your application.

Eastwood 2K Aerosol Paint - Automotive Aerosol Paint

Masking.... always the fun part. Masking detail work is an art form that takes patience, and skills. The people who make a living doing it are amazing to watch. I always remind people of this when they get frustrated masking. Doesn't matter how long it takes you, your day job pays the bills, not this stuff. Have a beer, take a break, come back later, and try again. But bring the beer too. Just in case.

Let the blue cure good and long before you pull tape, and be mindful of the edges, as paint tends to build up more there next to the tape. If you suspect the edges to have a thicker build, let it sit longer. A Hair dryer will also help by running it around the tape edges for a minute before you pull.

Well, that's all I got for you good sir. If you already knew all this stuff, awesome, go have one of those beers I told you to bring along, and git er done.

:chug:

@gmanpaint

Yes single stage is urethane. I saw the Eastwood when I was browsing but went with this instead. It should be here by the 27th.
Screenshot_20190823-201347_Samsung Internet.jpg

Stay tuned.......Lol

wicked cool!!

:popcorn:

The motivation for emblem arts n crafts is, the emblems are the only chrome on the truck. Everything else is blue or black. I'm not an artist by a long shot, the only thing I know how to do is color match. Lol. So if any artist think I should break up the blue and black I'm open for suggestions

Its here!!! Its here!!!
20190826_183345.jpg
20190826_183402.jpg

Now I just need to order a case of courage and a packet of determination. Lol. If anything jumps out at ya let me know, I can arrange them and snap a pic. I'll be attempting arts n crafts this weekend.

and to think I had to buy the whole truck to get the emblems! LOL
Can't wait to see what you come up with
Premier badge? Wowee!!

I lightly scuffed the emblems and a flash card, washed them with dawn, then a 50/50 water n alcohol mix. After drying I hung the emblems and applied 3 coats of plastic adhesion waiting 30min or more between coats. I'm new to this so I may have put it on too thick on the smaller emblems. It comes out of the can like wd40. Not much fan at all. I'm happy with the big emblem but the smaller 2 I'm going to let set overnight and try and smooth down the heavy spots before I prime them. I know itll be hard to see but everyone loves pictures!
20190831_150840.jpg
20190831_150911.jpg

The flash card was being a pain as well. The primer I started with ran out before I could get one good wet coat. When I went to get more the sun moved in and kinda cooked it. I tried to smooth it out and get one good wet coat. I'll let it set overnight as well. I'm painting this vista blue so I can visualize better.
20190831_150930.jpg

I need to get some sandpaper because the stuff I have now isnt cutting it.

3m sanding sponges work great for detailed stuff, and come in a lot of grits. Most big box stores sell them in the paint aisles.

You might have better luck laying them flat to spray. Place them on top of something, like small dowel rods to keep the edges off the base. No runs this way, and the paint mills will be the same overall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wet coat on the flash card laid flat with only one imperfection where it might not have been completely dry. I like it, I'll give it a lite scuff then another wet coat and proceed to the single stage vista blue.

The big black emblem looks good but the smaller 2 might not be plastic or the chrome coating may need to be completely removed. I tried to smoothe them out last night and most of the plastic adhesion cam off so I just removed it everywhere but the letters. I'm going to hit them all with the primer and see what sticks!!!

@gmanpaint
I'm using those 3m pads you referenced. I hung the emblems because it reduced the amount of flat surface for dust to settle. I dont have anywhere clean to paint. Im glad I stopped yesterday because I'm so impatient. I would have just kept layering the paints and it would have been a disaster.

Back