Camber help post 3 1/2" lift install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camber help post 3 1/2" lift install

Boise Outlaw

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer EB
I used a set of rear leafs and front coils out of an 88 Ford F150 2wd and was able to lift my rig 3 1/2", however after turning my camber bushings all the way in I am still a little off. I had a base measurement of appx 51" in between tires at the lowest point before i lifted it, now I am at appx 49" so needing about 1" of adjustment outward on each side to get it back to alignment.

Just hoping for a recommendation on the correct camber bushings to install. Part #'s are especially helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I found with my James Duff Lift was that the springs sagged a little due to the weight of the front end, giving me negative camber. I corrected this by lifting the front coils with spacers (welded washers) until the camber was vertical again.

I don't know if you have drop brackets or not for your TTB, as they affect the camber almost directly, but in theory if you have a means of reducing your lift in front or bringing the pivot point of your Twin Traction Beams down you would see the camber move in a negative direction. There again, if you can get your camber slightly negative, you can always add a washer or two to kick the beams away from the bottom of the coil and put you back in tune.

But, to actually answer your question instead of rambling, I found this link useful http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349188

Hope this helps!

Did you get drop brackets for the traction beams? If not you may never get the camber close enough to not wear tires. 2" is about the limit to be able to get the ailgnment into spec without cut/turned beams or drop brackets

Did you get drop brackets for the traction beams? If not you may never get the camber close enough to not wear tires. 2" is about the limit to be able to get the ailgnment into spec without cut/turned beams or drop brackets

this is true. for that amount of lift you will need drop brackets and/or cut and turn your beams.

No drop brackets. I ended up using 3 1/2* camber bushings which improved it alot. Only a slight \--/ lean now, maybe a half degree or so off. If i notice an issue with irregular tire wear I'll just heat the springs and lower them til its corrected.

Back