• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Selection

vegasmax777

Reaction score
City, State
Big Spring,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer V8 XLT
rebuilding a 99 Stock with gt40P heads, comp valve job, trick flow spring upgrade. Any suggestions? This is a 100% daily street driver, keeping all the Explorer drive train and Stock EFI with a tune and Pats delete, no cats, shorties,duels, pump in tank, all accessories,4R70W w/jmod, 8.8 w/3:73. Want a cam suitable for stock convertor and A/C w/power brakes & Cruise control. All of this going into a 71 FB Mustang a nice car. Please your knowledgeable input, not guesses. What have you have experiences with. Keeping the stock rocker arms and roller lifters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to get much gain from a cam without changing the rockers.

I think you can swap out the mustang HO cam and stay stock but you mainly just lose low end torque for higher rpm gains.

is this a good idea? don't they capture a lot of carbon monoxide? i'm sure it'll sound pretty sweet though
We don’t condone removal or emission systems here 😊

But yea the sound would change.

I don't believe that they are required on a 1971 model year car. 1975 I think is when they became mandatory (?) Some did have them early before the requirement.
Not gospel, just thinking out loud...

I don't believe that they are required on a 1971 model year car. 1975 I think is when they became mandatory (?) Some did have them early before the requirement.
Not gospel, just thinking out loud...
Oh I didn’t know that. Heck yea then skip the cats lol

The primary cats are built into the Downpipes on the 5.0 along with the primary and secondary 02 sensors. You can use cheaters for the downstream 02 sensors but the upstream sensors should remain in place. Without primary cats or if they are hollow you will get catalyst efficiency codes once in a while. A simple tune can delete the downstream sensors

I have been running a similar setup
Comp cams XE264HR camshaft
Basically comp cams made this cam for us explorer gt40 dudes and the early bronco crowd. An efi friendly mild cam that works good in trucks with the explorer gt40 302

Actually in more then one truck now
Stock 1.6 stamped rockers and heads.
Headers
Comp cams energy hr cam with comp springs and valve seals, 6.3 pushrods
Works fantastic for mild 302 daily driver with breathing mods. It sounds awesome and makes a little more power, especially past 4200 rpm then a stock setup

I Love this cam the exhaust note makes it worth every penny

Cam selection and setup including measuring the valvetrain for pushrods is all covered in my 07 ranger
Build thread found in my sig

Think about the torque converter, as a little bit higher stall speed
with the low 1st. gear and the 3.73, will put you into the power band
of the XE264 off the line when nailed.

I copied this off the TCCoa site for your consideration as the 03 Merc or equivalent, looks
ideal for your app. It will "flash" off the line when needed but, one will enjoy
some "economy" or in other words, if you take off normal, it will act normal with
the lower stall speed.

[ATTACH=full]451699[/ATTACH]

Johnny Langton Discussion starter

3562 posts · Joined 2002

#1 · Jul 17, 2004
Application..............minimum stall speed....max stall speed

'98-up Mustang GT...2324...2737
'98-up Crown Vic....2024...2440
'99-up Police or handling package Crown Vic...2319...2750
'99-up 4.6L F150...2145...2505
'03 Marauder...2555...3011

Helpful info if you're looking at a particular trans for a replacement.

Back