Camshaft Synchronizer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Synchronizer

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
My daughter's 2000 5.0 Mountaineer has started making a chirping noise. At first I was thinking it was a idler or tensioner pulley bearing, but using my stethoscope, I've tracked the chirp down to the cam synchronizer. I've read up on changing this thing, and think I know how to go about it. I'm not a big Dorman fan and I've read about the poor quality and smaller roll pin on the cam gear, but the price is 1/3 of what the Motorcraft part costs on RockAuto.

This truck has 215,000 miles on it and is starting to show it's age (uses a little oil, leaks a little oil, leaks water on to the driver's side front floor, but I can't figure from where). It still runs and drives well and gets her to/from work, so I'd like to keep it going as long as I can.

Two questions:
1. How long can this thing continue chirping and how big of a deal is it? She currently drives about 150 miles a week and on any given drive it might chirp, or it might not. Should I have her stop driving it until I get around to changing the cam synchronizer?

2. According to RA the Dorman part is a "favorite"... Who votes for the Dorman and who votes that I buy the Motorcraft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Cam synchro could make noise for a while. I drove mine for a few weeks with it chirping. I've had to replace mine twice (Napa dorman parts) but the second time there was a cam code no chirp noise. I just warranty mine through napa so I don't mind using Dorman but I would suggest purchasing the Motorcraft part if you plan on keeping it for a few more years.

Dorman only if you replace the roll pin. If you want a quality direct drop in piece Motorcraft. I bought a Dorman and then tossed it in the trash when it was brand new and bought the Motorcraft after I read the horror stories (didn't do my research and couldn't return it). The Dormans have a rep of lasting 500-2000 miles and snapping the roll pin. When that snaps you lose oil pressure and you know what happens when you lose that. :)

I replaced one in November of 2014 with a Richporter FD40S for a 2000 5.0. At the time they were ~$30. No issues, looked at the roll pin and it looked similar to the Motorcraft I pulled out. It comes with the alignment tool. I have had no issues. I think some folks have tried lubricating the existing one and stopped the chirp, at least temporarily as you probably have read.

Dorman only if you replace the roll pin. If you want a quality direct drop in piece Motorcraft. I bought a Dorman and then tossed it in the trash when it was brand new and bought the Motorcraft after I read the horror stories (didn't do my research and couldn't return it). The Dormans have a rep of lasting 500-2000 miles and snapping the roll pin. When that snaps you lose oil pressure and you know what happens when you lose that. :)

I don't think that is a problem anymore. Guess what gets installed when you take you car to almost any indy shop with that issue?

I'm sure there would be a ton of backlash by now.

In looking at alternatives to Motorcraft, I see descriptions that say "with step-on plug and "w/o step-on plug". What is this referring to? I also noticed that the Motorcraft part doesn't even include the sensor piece.

Also, can the sensor part be removed (to squirt some oil on the synchronizer) w/out needing to realign anything. I would assume so.

In looking at alternatives to Motorcraft, I see descriptions that say "with step-on plug and "w/o step-on plug". What is this referring to? I also noticed that the Motorcraft part doesn't even include the sensor piece.

Also, can the sensor part be removed (to squirt some oil on the synchronizer) w/out needing to realign anything. I would assume so.

It refers to the connector. The plug will have a "shelf" in it. You likely have a step plug, all of my 5.0 have them.

Yes.Use a syringe and some Trans fluid, maybe some marvel oil if you have it. Just a dab will do ya. Try to get it under the rotating part in the center--of course. Try to use just a little, you may see it drip through to the block. I think there is a weep hole in the casing

I don't think that is a problem anymore. Guess what gets installed when you take you car to almost any indy shop with that issue?

I'm sure there would be a ton of backlash by now.

I'd still replace the roll pin. I compared it to the Motorcraft one I got and it was a joke. Also IIRC My Motorcraft one did come with a sensor as well as the tool. I got it off Rockauto for 100 bucks or something around there.

Yes.Use a syringe and some Trans fluid, maybe some marvel oil if you have it. Just a dab will do ya. Try to get it under the rotating part in the center--of course. Try to use just a little, you may see it drip through to the block. I think there is a weep hole in the casing

So today I decided to try oiling the cam synchronizer by removing the sensor (2 tiny 7/32 bolts and it came right off). Then I took a syringe that I'd saved from when I had my wisdom teeth pulled 20+ years ago, sucked up some ATF and squired it around the center part of the synchronizer. I actually have a can of Marvel Mystery Oil I think I bought in the 60's (I never throw anything potentially useful away... LOL) and have yet to open, but the ATF was handy so that's what I used. I put the sensor back on and fired the engine and no more chirping. I have no idea how long the silence will last, but it's pretty easy to do and I don't feel like messing with the synchronizer right now. I figure if it will get me a month before re-oiling it I can limp it along until springtime.

Thanks for the tip.

Back