Can you JUST replace the U-Joint on Lower Steering Shaft??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you JUST replace the U-Joint on Lower Steering Shaft???

Thanks for all the info
My shaft is not messing up yes just a torn boot

Seems the best way is a new power steering bellow Boot

$250 for a new old stock wow..found on eBay

I'm surprised that they still exist

This will be happening this weekend pull update as I go
When I had my rack removed I slip on a modified Tie rod boot. Every year, I grease the joint. Thanks you for the replacement joint infor!

It is unfortunate no one has answered your question, if the u joint only can be replaced.

I had asked a dealer if they had the rubber booth and they said "no" now after a few years the steering became "tight" took it to a mechanic and the steering moves easily now but has play in the steering lower U joint (and the steering wheel).

So I ask again for you, is there a way to only change out the U joint and not the whole shaft? If yes where to buy it. As the replacement is $350.
That $350 is too much for just a stock steering shaft. There are a couple three good brand makers of aftermarket performance steering shafts. I have bought a couple for my Lincoln projects, but those are an in stock part made for Mustangs.

You might contact them and see what they could make for the Explorer. I'll bet they can make something, and it will be more precise than the OEM part. It likely won't have a boot either, generally those are made for serious racing where regular service is common.

That $350 is too much for just a stock steering shaft. There are a couple three good brand makers of aftermarket performance steering shafts. I have bought a couple for my Lincoln projects, but those are an in stock part made for Mustangs.

You might contact them and see what they could make for the Explorer. I'll bet they can make something, and it will be more precise than the OEM part. It likely won't have a boot either, generally those are made for serious racing where regular service is common.
Who do you contact?

Search for Mustang steering shaft, that should pull up many links for buying the aftermarket options, from multiple brands. Flaming River is one top brand, Borgeson is another, and Maximum Motorsports also makes a select few. I got one for my Mark VII made by Borgeson IIRC, which was made for a 94-04 Mustang, it was more than most, about $320 and had a nice NVH(feature like a rag joint) built into it for street use. Most of those shafts are made with solid precise u-joints, larger than stock and strong, but again they don't come with any boots to protect the joints long term. Those could also be covered as others have suggested for the stock shafts, a generic bellows or a tire tube cut and zip tied over the joints.

Here are a couple of links that can give an idea of what aftermarket shafts are out there.

This is an Explorer shaft by Dorman, $257 with a good looking boot over the joint;

This is a search result on Summit for Mustang shafts;

This is one of those results, a universal shaft by Borgeson which includes boots over the slip joints, for $357 though;

Back