Cape Cod! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cape Cod!

When Should We Go To Cape Cod?

• Total voters
Nice, John. From what I gather, Dunes' Edge accepts single-night stays, but provides ZERO extra parking. $38/night for 2 people with a $75 deposit and $14 per extra person.
Adventure Bound Camping also seems to offer single-night reservations for $32/night for 2 people, $12 per extra adult, $15 per extra camper's car, seemingly without a required deposit.
Coastal Acres (probably my 3rd choice of the 3) charges $27/night with a 3-night ($81) deposit and what seems like a minimum 3-night stay. They charge $14 for both an extra person (if more than 2) and an extra car (if more than 1).

I'd suggest Adventure-Bound since they seem to be the most flexible as far as the length of your stay, and they have room for extra vehicles. Plus you can reserve right on the site. The only trade-off seems to be it's the farthest from the ranger station.

Any other thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone looked into camping on the beach? Apparently they allow 100 vehicles per night on Race Point Beach, which both I and the gf thought would be awesome. A SCV permit is required (not really sure what that is, other than being 10 or 15 dollars more expensive)

SCV = Self Contained Vehicles, aka RV's. Otherwise the only way you're "allowed" to stay overnight is if you're fishing.

If we all share one site, the cost should be cheap for camping

Do we or can we get a group rate in one of these places? Have we gotton a true tally of all who is definetly going?

If we all share one site, the cost should be cheap for camping

All the sites I've looked at have set a maximum one tent per site, so unless we have a big tent it could get cozy :fart:

All the sites I've looked at have set a maximum one tent per site, so unless we have a big tent it could get cozy :fart:

I guess youve never seen Johns tent mansion:D

John, Issac, Dan & Myself all looked at camp sites last night. we are narrowing them down.

I have been busy with work and sports.. My oldest daughter is playing summer Softball and I need to check the schedule.. BTW I have added a bunch of stuff to the orv map... if you look close many points of interests have web links and photos... (some you may even recognize)

So when is the actual planned date for this trip?

Right now we're on for July 13-15 (Friday night thru Sunday morning).

Right now we're on for July 13-15 (Friday night thru Sunday morning).

I am still down for that. I was planning on arriving Friday afternoon & setting up. Maybe a lil tanning...:D

As mentioned in previous post beach access and Off-road access is very limited until August. As of right now over 80% of the Over Sand routes are closed (see the National Park Services web site's current access map below). The Red areas are closed while the Green are open..

Please note:
1) The Race Pt South access contains an area marked for Self contained vehicles only. This area is about 50% of the Green. While we can drive through these areas we cannot parK there.

2) The Coast Guard beach Over Sand route is only open for night fishing 6pm to 6am.

During out past trips in August 80% of the OSR (over sand routes) were open and we typically drove the entire route and hung out in the High head area where we could setup camp. If the beach access is restricted then all vehicles will be packed in the few open areas.

ORVMap.6.05.07.JPG

Hmm... maybe we better rethink the dates then. Getting packed with a hundred other tourists into that small area isn't my view of an ideal vacation. I've already taken the 14th/15th off work but I could see about switching that up.

Originally I had wanted to spread the dates so I didn't take too much work off at once (between the Jamboree and the beach trip), but personally IMO I'd rather have an expansive beach to build sandcastles :salute:

I make a motion to make the trip in August, so we can have more beach acess.

The intent of my earlier message was to let everyone know the closer we get to Aug the more open the beach areas and trails will become (which historically has been the case). Beach access and ORV trails can change daily so one weekend an area maybe closed, the next its opened and another area closed. :confused: From previous experience most people in addition to tailgating on the beach want to drive the full route (or as much as possible). I personally don't want to travel all the way to the Cape and be restricted to a crowded area. So if we keep July 14th and access is restricted what do we do?

While we can drive the night fishing spot after 6pm there is no air station on the access road (unless the beach access becomes open). So unless you bring your own OBA (on board air) then airing backup can take awhile since my oba takes about 10 - 15min per vehicle.

On a side note I finished rebuilding my front end... all new ball joints, bearings, axle and spindle seals, rotors, pads and a set of new Warn manual hubs. :cool: The alignment slightly pulls to the right, so I'm having it re-aligned tonight (lifetime alignment @ Firestone :thumbsup: )

While we can drive the night fishing spot after 6pm there is no air station on the access road (unless the beach access becomes open). So unless you bring your own OBA (on board air) then airing backup can take awhile since my oba takes about 10 - 15min per vehicle.

On a side note I finished rebuilding my front end... all new ball joints, bearings, axle and spindle seals, rotors, pads and a set of new Warn manual hubs. :cool: The alignment slightly pulls to the right, so I'm having it re-aligned tonight (lifetime alignment @ Firestone :thumbsup: )

Yikes, congrats of putting your truck back together... I had a quick look at it the other day and thats some scary (to me) stuff. Then again, anything past changing my own oil and sparkplugs is over my head.

I'm planning on bringing my salt water rods and possibly a grill for some fresh striper. With the way my luck has gone fishing this year, I'm probably going to bed hungry though. I will also have an OBA compressor, which fills the 31's in about 12 mins (just did a test run). Anyone know where I can score a cheap, folding shovel? Just tried Walmart, B19, NAPA, Advance AP, and am on my way to REI...

Although I'd ideally like to push the date back to when the beach is more fully open, I may head down regardless. I tried to get my shifts back in the hope that I could take a different weekend off down the line to no avail. I really don't want to waste $50 for a weeks pass to park in what has been called "a sandy parking lot" between rows of Suburbans and crying children, but at this point it may be my only weekend off of the summer (other than the jambo) and I'll take what I can get. :frospecta:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know where I can score a cheap, folding shovel? Just tried Walmart, B19, NAPA, Advance AP, and am on my way to REI...

Have you tried a military surplus store?:salute:

Back