CB radio instal questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CB radio instal questions

Explorer_Dan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
I ordered a cb radio, firestik antenna, and everything to wire it up. My only issue is a good place to mount the antenna. I tried fabbing up a bracket to mount to one of the tail lights but I don't think it will work very well. I would prefer to not drill any extra holes, does anyone have any suggestions on where or how to mount it ? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go under the bumper under the taillight and screw into the rear trailer hitch setup?

Hey explorer dan! There are some clamp style mounts that will work perfectly for your setup! The cheaper ones are big and ugly. The smaller ones look pretty slick, LOTS of adjustability to get the antenna just the way you like it. I am running one on my liftgate and it looks sweet! I got it from a HAM shop near me. The only problem is, it's suuuper expensive like $100 ballpark. The only issue with where mine is set up is i can't open the back glass without swinging the antenna out of the way. For me it's not a problem i hardly use the glass anyways. Give me a few and ill get a picture up for you as well as what this thing is called. Another really nice thing about this setup is that it comes with the antenna cable and its REALLLY small, but fairly long. Should be exactly what you're looking for.

So I got fabbed up a mount at work. Just a piece of steel to bolt into my roof basket for now. The antenna sits way high off the vehicle now. I'll get pics up if I get on to my computer soon. Any suggestions on wiring? Ran mine to the battery through the grommet under the driver side of the dash and I get nasty interference.

It could be you dont a good enough ground plane for your antenna. Ive installed a few cbs for buddies and they wanted theirs mounted to roof racks, baskets ect. For whatever reason, you get a poor ground plane and it really screws with your swr and if it's really bad, can damage your radio. Think of swr like bounce back of your outgoing signal. If it's really high, you can get a lot of interferance to the point where you can hear ypur engine through the radio. Two options, change the mounting location, or run a ground wite from the antenna to a spot on the vehicle that brings your swr reading down to 1.5 or lower. The lower the better. 10 bucks or so gets you an swr meter. Look for em on amazon. Also, get a small coax jumper cable, you're gonna need it to hook up your swr meter.

Gimme a few minutes, and ill look for it. Don't remember the name, but it's made for HAM radios, just so happens they made one for coax cables as well

The name of the mount i use is
DIAMOND K400-3/8C2

Best money i spent on my cb. It'll run you about $80 but is worth every single penny. There is a little piece that screws on to the end of coax cable that'll allow you to hook it up to the cb. Make sure it's in there.

I got a Cobra 75wxst mounted in the overhead unit and a hood mount for the antenna. no problems at all. ~$100 for the CB and $40 for antenna mount and coax

Back