Center console options for a 2019 Explorer Police Interceptor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center console options for a 2019 Explorer Police Interceptor?

Studly

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Police Interceptor
I just bought a 2019 PI Explorer. What's the best option for putting in a real center console? I've read that standard 2017 and up Explorer center consoles will fit the police version, but also have read that they are difficult to find in junk yards and/or are expensive. Are there any generic center consoles to put in there that will work almost as well and make better use of that space? All advice is appreciated for a new owner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My OCD couldn't take a civilian Explorer console, with the "PRNDL" lettering, extra holes, etc. The consoles that are optional in the Interceptor are harder to get.

I bought a console from Nenno Products. It bolts down to the floor plate. Tons of space, removable lower compartment and comfortable. Well pleased.

I went to the trouble of getting a civilian console out of a wrecked Explorer. Ordered 3D printed plugs for the shifter that I removed and the terrain control knob. Was funny watching the car wash guy try to press the gear select instead of using the gear select in the column, but other than that, it's been great. You'll never find an aftermarket console that fits better, in my opinion.

20230324_125842.jpg

I went to the trouble of getting a civilian console out of a wrecked Explorer. Ordered 3D printed plugs for the shifter that I removed and the terrain control knob. Was funny watching the car wash guy try to press the gear select instead of using the gear select in the column, but other than that, it's been great. You'll never find an aftermarket console that fits better, in my opinion.

View attachment 440295
Is there any additional steps to installing it? Do I have to take anything out to get it to fit into the interceptor?

Is there any additional steps to installing it? Do I have to take anything out to get it to fit into the interceptor?
Remove the metal baseplate. Save the bolts. Remove the center cross bar under the climate controls, you'll never make it fit with that in the way. None of the plugs will directly hook up to the civilian harness, you'll need to make your own. One of the 12volt plugs will plug into the front plug on its own, the other you'll need an extension. Whatever you don't need wired up, you'll need to tuck the harness plugs in the back and to the left is where I put mine. If you don't tuck those, the console will never fit correctly. Other than that, I'll bolt right up. You can remove the front seats to make it easier to install, but I managed by just moving the seats forward and backwards.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Remove the metal baseplate. Save the bolts. Remove the center cross bar under the climate controls, you'll never make it fit with that in the way. None of the plugs will directly hook up to the civilian harness, you'll need to make your own. One of the 12volt plugs will plug into the front plug on its own, the other you'll need an extension. Whatever you don't need wired up, you'll need to tuck the harness plugs in the back and to the left is where I put mine. If you don't tuck those, the console will never fit correctly. Other than that, I'll bolt right up. You can remove the front seats to make it easier to install, but I managed by just moving the seats forward and backwards.

Am I able to keep the factory plugs up front? I rarely carry passengers in the back. I was just hoping it'd be a bolt in type thing without doing anything else. I saw a 2016 PIU that had both available still up front.

Am I able to keep the factory plugs up front? I rarely carry passengers in the back. I was just hoping it'd be a bolt in type thing without doing anything else. I saw a 2016 PIU that had both available still up front.
That's the 12volt I'm talking about. One will plug in the back of the front plug. If you want to power all of them in the console, you'll need to make a custom harness.

That's the 12volt I'm talking about. One will plug in the back of the front plug. If you want to power all of them in the console, you'll need to make a custom harness.
Ok as long as I can keep the front 2 factory plugs, I don't care.

Thanks for the info. So you just took yours out of a regular Explorer base model? If I have a 2019 PIU will a stock console from any year in that generation of Explorer work in a 2019 PIU? And how long did it take you to install the console?

My OCD couldn't take a civilian Explorer console, with the "PRNDL" lettering, extra holes, etc. The consoles that are optional in the Interceptor are harder to get.

I bought a console from Nenno Products. It bolts down to the floor plate. Tons of space, removable lower compartment and comfortable. Well pleased.
Did you just order your console from Nenno directly? I wish there were more options of resellers so we could possibly order at a better price.

hey bro quick question, where did u get the 3d printed plugs?

hey bro quick question, where did u get the 3d printed plugs?
Got them off of a vendor on Etsy. Feel free to message me, I'll give you a link.

Thanks for the info. So you just took yours out of a regular Explorer base model? If I have a 2019 PIU will a stock console from any year in that generation of Explorer work in a 2019 PIU? And how long did it take you to install the console?
About an hour.

Back