changing bolt pattern on a dana 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing bolt pattern on a dana 44

explorinitup

Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach, virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 5.0 on boost
ok so i picked up a 77 early bronco dana 44. soon will put in my explorer. my question is what do i need to switch from the 5x5 bolt pattern to 5x5.5. do i just need the rotor or the hole knuckle from a newer dana 44. and if so will a ttb knuckle work ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not entirely sure...but maybe able to swap out the knuckle with one for a Jeep with the spindle so then you can use the rotor for a jeep and the bolt pattern match up to the rear. Someone with experience with swaps will probably chime in...

ok so i picked up a 77 early bronco dana 44. soon will put in my explorer. my question is what do i need to switch from the 5x5 bolt pattern to 5x5.5. do i just need the rotor or the hole knuckle from a newer dana 44. and if so will a ttb knuckle work ??

The EB axle should already be 5x5.5, not 5x5.

No a TTB knuckle will not fit a solid D44.

The EB axle should already be 5x5.5, not 5x5.

No a TTB knuckle will not fit a solid D44.

I said the same thing. But its a ford axle. The radius arm brackets but I measured them. And low and behold 5x5

To the best of my knowledge you use adapters on the rear axle to match the 5.5 bolt pattern on front, and get different wheels.

i have looked in to it and to my knowledge it will widen to rear track wider than the front. my idea is to swop the front to 5x5.5 and get axles cut to fit my 8.8 and drill my rotors to the 5x5.5. i just dont want to use wheel adapters. i have found a knuckle and hub that is a 5x4.5 bolt pattern out of a early ram charger. but the bearing setup is garbage and they arnt locking hubs. any ideas

I said the same thing. But its a ford axle. The radius arm brackets but I measured them. And low and behold 5x5

So your trying to tell us that you have an EB D44 with a 5x5 bolt pattern?

i have looked in to it and to my knowledge it will widen to rear track wider than the front. my idea is to swop the front to 5x5.5 and get axles cut to fit my 8.8 and drill my rotors to the 5x5.5. i just dont want to use wheel adapters. i have found a knuckle and hub that is a 5x4.5 bolt pattern out of a early ram charger. but the bearing setup is garbage and they arnt locking hubs. any ideas

The truck in my signature has an eb front axle with a disc brake 8.8 rear, with adapters.
If it does track 1" wider in the rear it is not noticeable.

Back