• Register Today It's free!

cheaper parts from Rover

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1998 4.0
Hi
Has anybody noticed how cheap the engine parts/gaskets are when bought from Land Rover and not Ford? As its the Ford V6 SOHC used in the Land Rover LR3/LR4...

Just difficult to match up the part numbers for a novice like me, I am looking for the upper oil pan gasket and front timing cover gaskets....from what I have found out the upper oil pan gasket is part number ROVER 1025228 which is for
DISCOVERY 3 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol 2004 - 2009 Upper
DISCOVERY 4 LR4 4.0 V6 Petrol 2010 - 2012

Anyone know if this would be the exact same gasket for a 1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC?

In Europe its difficult to not end up paying through the nose for these parts and waiting weeks for them to be shipped, maybe this is a good alternative for Europeans for price and availability....the shipping costs from usa and import tax makes parts more than double the usa price...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder what parts from TVR are like?

Land Rover cheap? The Last Land Rover I had was not cheap haha. It was a complete pile of **** for one, so always needed parts but it was anything but cheap. That surprises me that it's cheaper through them.

Land Rover cheap? The Last Land Rover I had was not cheap haha. It was a complete pile of **** for one, so always needed parts but it was anything but cheap. That surprises me that it's cheaper through them.

well it seems to be cheaper for some parts, like gaskets etc, but not sure if its cheaper for usa owners, just the shipping and import tax to Europe as the explorer parts are not stocked in UK and 3 week delay sucks and puts 100% on the price

anyway you can check yourself, some examples on a new thread in the UK Explorers forum, I think they are genuine ford parts rebadged Land Rover so should not be compared to Chinese ebay prices...although I may be wrong!

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3486186#post3486186

Ah well being overseas definitely changes things. But I'm still surprised there is that big of a difference in cost. Maybe try going on rockauto and typing in the manufacturer part number to cross reference it?

Ah well being overseas definitely changes things. But I'm still surprised there is that big of a difference in cost. Maybe try going on rockauto and typing in the manufacturer part number to cross reference it?

these examples are for you yanky boys amusement :), if I was to buy any of these prices I would have to add another 100% for shipping and import tax

now everybody can have a genuine part rebuild at 4x cheaper courtesy of the Brits :) (or Indians whoever owns LR these days...)

actually feel a bit sick at the prices I was paying before.....*******S! :)

A friend of mine had a Land Rover and a single lug nut was $26 and they wanted $1,500 for a battery cable. Gaskets might be cheaper, but most LR parts are crazy expensive.

Lol, Here in Canada its cheaper for me to order parts from the US even with the current horrible exchange and shipping rather than buy them from our local Stealership.

Lol, Here in Canada its cheaper for me to order parts from the US even with the current horrible exchange and shipping rather than buy them from our local Stealership.

Same in Australia.

you know what I think it is? maybe Land Rover just want to dump their stock or they are taking the piss outta Ford by saying, here, this is what your crappy parts are really worth lol, or maybe all the LR3's have had so many problems with the Ford engine they want to keep some loyalty by making the repairs cheap on this model?

does seem strange that LR parts are normally so expensive but just not with this Land Rover badged Ford.

Back