Check Engine Flashing

ChrisMN1234

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
All-

I recently bought a 2014 certified Explorer XLT with factory tow package at the local dealer. Everytime I tow our boat (the whole reason for buying it), the check engine light blinks when getting onto the expressway, we lose power and the air conditioning stops (only happens when towing).
Upon first bringing it to the dealer, they said nothing is wrong and gave it back. The second time we actually filmed the issue happening. This prompted them to replace some spark plugs and give it back. Now the issue is even worse and has nearly caused us to get into an accident while the family was heading to the lake.
Our dealer says to drive it in with the boat (over 30 miles of unsafe conditions) so they can give it a shot. Does this seem unreasonable to anyone else? Has anyone run into something similar and what did you do?

Ps- the car has also been in several other times with different varying issues that have been shrugged off by the dealer. Thoughts on how to approach?

Thanks!

-Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They weren't able to pull any codes, despite having the CEL flashing? Does it come on only when towing?

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
As 613GT500 inquired, does this only happen when towing? It would also helpful, not just for this time, if you would add the 'trim' level (XLT) to your profile so it always shows in the margin. Not all trims have the same features. There are threads about throttle body issues which are similar to what you are experiencing.
There was another member who had A/C cut off under power but didn't mention the Check Engine Light. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...rbo-4-cyl-no-a-c-when-its-hot-outside.446985/

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
As 613GT500 inquired, does this only happen when towing? It would also helpful, not just for this time, if you would add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it always shows in the margin. Not all trims have the same features, including engines. Do you have the factory tow package?

Peter
I updated the original post with the requested info :). Trim is XLT with factory tow package. They've pulled codes for a cylinder 1 and 5 misfire but claim they can't fix without me bringing the boat trailer with.

-Chris

I updated the original post with the requested info :). Trim is XLT with factory tow package. They've pulled codes for a cylinder 1 and 5 misfire but claim they can't fix without me bringing the boat trailer with.

-Chris
Time to visit another dealership. A misfire trouble code
is more than enough to warrant a repair.

I concur with 613GT500 dealership technician training level leaves too much off the table. Find a dealer that will do the right thing and fix ur car.

Sounds more like your motor or transmission is overheating. I'm thinking the latter actually.

If there is an engine issue, I believe it will go into "limp" mode.

If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine
will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled
cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine.
When this occurs the vehicle will still operate. However:
• The engine power will be limited.
• The air conditioning system will be disabled.

Peter

CORRECTION: On my '02 Explorer it was my O/D light that flashed when the solenoid in the transmission was bad, not the CEL light.

A flashing CEL that is giving a cylinder 1 and 5 misfire would not be transmission related. I'm thinking a bad coil pack as well and not just a spark plug. I've had bad coil packs on my audi and the same thing would result. Hard bucking, barely get it to move and CEL flashing.

If the CEL is flashing, it is a severe enough issue that you are not supposed to drive the vehicle (pull over and shut it off immediately).

A flashing CEL that is giving a cylinder 1 and 5 misfire would not be transmission related. I'm thinking a bad coil pack as well and not just a spark plug. I've had bad coil packs on my audi and the same thing would result. Hard bucking, barely get it to move and CEL flashing.

If the CEL is flashing, it is a severe enough issue that you are not supposed to drive the vehicle (pull over and shut it off immediately).

My bad, I semi glanced at the thread and did not read the misfire code that was pulled. The spark plugs and/or coil packs should be checked.

It should be noted that when I changed my spark plugs on my '02 way back when I replaced them with Motorcraft OEM plugs. I asked if they were pre-gaped and the parts store and Ford both said they were, unfortunately that was not the case. My engine ran horribly after replacing them and I had to take each one out, gap it to spec and reinstall each plug and then the engine ran normal again.

How much does boat and trailer weigh? Are you using tow mode ? If this occurs again maybe try taking it out of tow mode or put it in if not using it.

Tow mode changes shift points and allows engine braking, that's all that Ford tells you. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a different fuel map/tune used for this mode as well.

I've tried it both with tow mode and not using tow mode, same issue (the boat weighs 3k pounds).
Also forgot to mention that the vehicle has less than 25k miles and they are pushing back because "Ford doesn't let us replace parts under warranty unless we can also duplicate the problem." I find that to be garbage since they've verified the problem codes.

Does anyone have a contact at Ford?

-Chris

I've tried it both with tow mode and not using tow mode, same issue (the boat weighs 3k pounds).
Also forgot to mention that the vehicle has less than 25k miles and they are pushing back because "Ford doesn't let us replace parts under warranty unless we can also duplicate the problem." I find that to be garbage since they've verified the problem codes.

Does anyone have a contact at Ford?

-Chris

That's when you say you don't care what their internal "policy" is. The only thing you have to know is what is in your warranty documentation and that is what is legally binding.

Have you tried flooring it without towing?

My train of thought is entering expressway=more throttle=higher rpm=more air /fuel.

Could have starving of either one. Clogged air filter/clogged fuel filter or even fuel pump that can't keep up.

Chris, does this same issue exist when NOT towing?

Peter

Flashing Ck Eng light with misfire codes will disable the a/c compressor to prevent excessive damage as a result of misfires. That strategy is written into the PCM software P0301 P0305 would be misfire codes. EcoBoost engines need spark plugs changed sooner than the recommended interval due to plug wear and excessive gaps causing the misfires. Continued misfires can damage the ign coils as result of misfires. Misfire codes are considered emission faults and so covered by the warranty.

Not that you should have to do this, but I would get a Bluetooth OBD adapter (that can read MS-CAN) and Forscan Lite.

You can pull the DTC's from all modules including the PCM and related modules when the condition is happening. Forscan Lite will allow you to export the DTC's with freeze frame data. You could even email them to yourself when they occur.

Many dealers will ignore your data when you bring the vehicle in, but you have already said that it happens multiple times and they are unable to duplicate. Time to document the issue yourself and escalate. If nothing else, the freeze frame data should help a knowledgeable technician duplicate your situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are these coil on plug or do they use a coil pack? either way, cylinder 1 and 5 are "companion" cylinders, meaning they both fire at the same time on a waste spark system. Either an ignition control module ( if it is present) PCM or coilpack issue is my gut feeling.

You might escalate this to the ford customer service rep on board our forum. Good luck!

Back