Chip switch wire routing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chip switch wire routing?

Hey all, I just recieved my Apten chip today, burned for 92 octane and another setting for nitrous, controllable by a switch.

My problem is that I have no idea how to route the wire for the switch. The area behind the computer seems to be packed pretty tight, and I'm not fond of the idea of removing the dash in order to install this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not familiar with the switch chips, but couldnt you just cut the wire and splice in a longer piece? then you could drill a hole in the firewall lower down under the dash, and around whatever is in the way.

just a thought; i dont know if itll work.

That's an idea, but...

1) That would require extra wire, which I don't have at 8pm right now (would have to drive to Home depot, which would require...um...starting the truck ;)

2) The wire comes from the chip, which is on the back of the computer, which means I don't know how I'd get it onto the engine side of the firewall...

Originally posted by AdamsGuitar
That's an idea, but...

1) That would require extra wire, which I don't have at 8pm right now (would have to drive to Home depot, which would require...um...starting the truck ;)

so re-hook up the battery and do it tomorrow.

Originally posted by AdamsGuitar

2) The wire comes from the chip, which is on the back of the computer, which means I don't know how I'd get it onto the engine side of the firewall...

couple options here. if you have a dremel, then you already know option #1 ;) if you dont have a dremel, then just run it from the back of the ecu where the chip goes, out of the front of that hole in the firewall, right along side of the ecu; wouldnt that work?...isnt there enough room to fit the wire?

oh, i just thought of something else. all the way in the back of the hole where you slide the ecu into, theres no "back" to that hole. if you fish the wire through there, try to pull it out of another hole into the engine bay, and go from there.

im just shooting ideas off the top of my head here, so dont kill me if you dont like 'em :) though im sure yuo want this thing installed tonight - i was the same way when i got all of my mods, heh, but sometimes you just have to be patient to do something right; it sucks, but its the easiest/best in the long run.

There should be enough room to run wire along the sides of the ECU back out to the engine bay. Then just run the wires along the firewall using the stock wire clips and some skinny conduit. Then go in through the factory grommet by the brake pedal. This will put the switch in a great location to install in or under the dash.

Great, thanks! That's what I'm doing now, I'm splicing about 6 feet of wire into the middle now, I'm hoping that will be long enough. I'm going to mount the switch in the little shelf under my CD player.

How much wire came with it?

about 3ft

You'll probably need about 12 ft.

Back