CHP Screwed Me, Hit and Run Case! Need Legal Advice ASAP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHP Screwed Me, Hit and Run Case! Need Legal Advice ASAP!!!

I was involved in an attempted hit and run accident and the CHP officer who wrote the report did not include the fact that I had to chase the other driver. Luckily for me, the other driver took the course where I could eventually catch up to her due to a toll plaza.

Once there, the CHP took almost an hour to respond and then the officer generated a generic report to where none of the "CHASE" scenario was included. I did submit a supplemental to the report and the officer informed me that the supplemental will be added to the original report.

The legal counsel I hired (actually it's the paralegal!) is now refusing to work with me saying that the case is too "complicated" and that if I wanted to continue this case, that "I" need to do the legwork and have the CHP amend the report (which I have already done by submitting the supplement).

My question is this, why is the law office refusing to help me? Can anyone please give me any potential leads as to how to continue with my claim? I am injured from the accident and haven't been able to work in my trade because of it. Please advice, thanks in advance!

EDIT: My insurance sent me a letter stating that I was 0% at fault based on their investigation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I'm not sure how we can better help with the "Legal Advice" than your Legal Representatives can..:dunno:

...But I will offer my own .02 as just some guy from an online Forum and from having a similar incident with a drunk driver broadsiding me at high freeway speed many, many, years ago..It might take a couple reads for it to sink in..;)

..The CHP Officer actually did you a favor by not including the "Chase" in the report.

..I am assuming you have no credited training in high speed pursuit, you are not a professionally paid race or stunt driver, nor have even taken a course from a driving Academy..If you had, the court would be harder on you for having known better.

..The first thing a Judge will do will be to go after you first for endangering the lives of the other drivers on the road...No if's, and's, or but's...A "Chase" by a civilian is a :nono:

...Now if you were asked about how you caught up to the suspect and you were in the frame of mind that you followed the suspect, while although it was hard to do considering you were staying within the posted speed limit, while dealing with the road and weather conditions, time of day, amount of traffic, and still making proper lane changes, you get the idea.

..What you are representing in the "Chase" now becomes more important than what you think your case is actually about.

...In short, although the other person may have hit your vehicle and ran, you escalated the situation and put other peoples lives in considerable danger without any thought or concern other than your own..

..Those are the very words I myself heard just before they said we have a better case against you with your very own testimony than we do against the other guy...;)

..I myself would listen to your Legal Representatives and do as they ask and recommend..:salute:

IN my state leaving the scene of an accident of over 500 damage or causing an injury ( both in your case) is a crime. If they did not charge you with this you probably got another favor. You can't go risking every other life out there just to make sure you get paid for your damage-

Yeah, I don't think you have realized that you are also guilty of leaving the scene of an accident. I think this is basically in the hands of your insurance company at this point.

The paralegal did not take the case because you were in the wrong by chasing after her. This would have caused embarrassment to there law firm, with no chance of winning the case. I agree with the others, you should be glad the CHP officer did not include the chase in his report. Do like I do, put a GoPro in your car, and it will give you all the evidence you need if this ever happens again.

I agree with the above, but I also say good on you for catching the H&R driver! I hate-hate-hate people that do hit and runs, it's not as bad as drunk drivers but close...

What type of report was taken?
Was it a crime report, or a collision report?
Did the investigating officer determine that there was, in fact a hit and run?
I don't really understand, what is an "attempted hit and run"?
How does the report impact your ability to work, or get medical treatment since you have insurance?
If you are talking about getting a civil suit filed, find another attorney who will take your case. There are plenty of ambulance chasers in the bay area, I am sure you can find another one.
The CHP Officer is not going to amend a report just because you filed a supplemental. The fact that you chased down the other party involved has nothing to do with how the collision occurred. If you think you are going to get more money because the other party did not immediately stop, that is a civil matter. The CHP only investigates the collision to determine who is at fault, and if any criminal charges are warranted. If there was, in the officers opinion, a crime committed, he would submit the investigation to the district attorney's office for prosecution. The CHP has nothing at all to do with insurance companies or damage claims. They can't give you the kind of "help" you are requesting as they are not attorneys.

mksu where in the bay area u at

What type of report was taken?
Was it a crime report, or a collision report?
Did the investigating officer determine that there was, in fact a hit and run?
I don't really understand, what is an "attempted hit and run"?
How does the report impact your ability to work, or get medical treatment since you have insurance?
If you are talking about getting a civil suit filed, find another attorney who will take your case. There are plenty of ambulance chasers in the bay area, I am sure you can find another one.
The CHP Officer is not going to amend a report just because you filed a supplemental. The fact that you chased down the other party involved has nothing to do with how the collision occurred. If you think you are going to get more money because the other party did not immediately stop, that is a civil matter. The CHP only investigates the collision to determine who is at fault, and if any criminal charges are warranted. If there was, in the officers opinion, a crime committed, he would submit the investigation to the district attorney's office for prosecution. The CHP has nothing at all to do with insurance companies or damage claims. They can't give you the kind of "help" you are requesting as they are not attorneys.

You covered most of what I was thinking myself.
In South Carolina and most states (yes I know California is different) the accident report covers only the accident not any subsequent activity such as "the chase". Unless it was a component of the accident itself, and the chase after the accident was NOT a component but an after the fact occurrence. The incident report covers any crime that may have occurred. Yes you went after the person but depending on how you slice that pie, your actions did not necessarily meet the intent of the law in reference to leaving the scene of an accident. You were and are a victim of a crime. Do I think that chasing someone in that state of mind and being injured was the best decision? No. Do I think you deserve extra money because they ran? No. Are you entitled to compensation? Yes. Unless a paralegal is licensed in California to practice law without a supervising attorney then you need an Attorney. An Insurance Company will not pay extra in most cases for someone that leaves the scene, juries may/will award that.
Unfortunately there are three sides to every story, yours, mine, and the truth. Not accusing you of lying but we only know your side. Judging by the paralegal stepping down, there is more to this.
Also by you stating Attempted Hit & Run I am guessing you used attempted only because you caught them? It is a Hit & Run, if it was attempted only they would not have struck you. Unless they did not strike you and your avoidance of the accident caused your injury, at which point I would not have written it as an accident.
Once the accident report is done, it becomes a civil issue. Both insurance companies will fight to protect their interests, which is their money not you.
I am not an LEO in California and I did not work the collision so my opinion does not have much weight.
Get a Lawyer.

Back