Cle Elum Meet Sept. 9-10 | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cle Elum Meet Sept. 9-10

Thanks Joe, I'll call Miki Douglas at the Cle Elum Ranger Station tomorrow and try to get some details.

"Yesterday firefighters swept campgrounds and roads in Cooper River Drainage and advised residences and recreating public to leave the area. An area closure expected today. Closed all access into areas south of Waptus Lake. Implemented planning in coordination with County Sherrif for evacuations of summer homes. A Type 2 Incident Management Team has been ordered. "

The comment on the Pollalie report about sweeping the Cooper River drainage and the areas South of Waptus Lake are disconcerting, We want to be in the next valley to the East but they might not even let us up there :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I just called the Ranger Station and got the trail closure information off their recording as it sits now, where we want to be is still open.

The trails closed are;

You can look at the maps here; http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-orv/maps/map-west-2.pdf to see where those trails are (they're hiking trails).

We were planning on wheeling around Huckleberry Mtn and Hawkins Mtn, 6 miles from Waptus Lake.

I will still call Kim Larnen (09-852-1062) tomorrow to get updated information.

So itll be open for us then, i got to be honest im a bit concern about the level of wheeling this is going to be, I dont have a built truck like you and kev, and it sounds like the wheeling is ok for your truck but not a stocker, i say that because 2 pople have said well need to work on your trucks ( john and i)and the whole off camber discussion, im not trying to be a puss but i have plans for a build after this and dont wqant to be set back becuase the terrian was to much. CAn some please exsplain why we would need a welder and time to fix stockers.

You'll be fine. I seriousley doubt you'll end up with more than a couple marks on frame rails or scuffed sidewalls. Maybe a couple nicks on your rims if you pick a bad line in the rocky section.

All in all, you'll enjoy the weekend as long as the fires behave. :thumbsup: :cool:

:eek:

wow, a lot has been going on here....

Ok, fire wise, if we gotta leave we gotta leave, but it's worth a shot...

I reserve the right to pansy out if these trails get too rough. My explorer is a daily driver, not a rock crawler. I don't mind scrapes and scuffs, but much more and there will be issues. I was assured that this would be light duty off roading and rather scenic if anything... I'd like to keep it that way for my explorer and my wallets sake. ;)

Phil are you going to meet with Jon and I.

96ExplorerXL4x4 said:
:eek:

wow, a lot has been going on here....

Ok, fire wise, if we gotta leave we gotta leave, but it's worth a shot...

I reserve the right to pansy out if these trails get too rough. My explorer is a daily driver, not a rock crawler. I don't mind scrapes and scuffs, but much more and there will be issues. I was assured that this would be light duty off roading and rather scenic if anything... I'd like to keep it that way for my explorer and my wallets sake. ;)

I was afraid we may run into fire concerns, but have been keeping my fingers crossed.....................

And don't worry this is not all that hard of trails. Like Phil said expect to drag a frame rail and rub your hitch during stream crossing's. I do not expect to be doing any heavy recovery or damage repair, but we mention these things as it is always a possibility even on FS roads that a car can drive.

I've been up in this area a half dozen or more times with Phil and alone. I have yet to get stuck or do any serious damage. I do kinda worry about my front end do to a odd clunk .....but I have replaced everything but the CV's and it is still there so I actually kinda hope it breaks so I can find it :D

moose1 said:
I got to be honest im a bit concern about the level of wheeling this is going to be, I dont have a built truck like you and kev, and it sounds like the wheeling is ok for your truck but not a stocker, i say that because 2 pople have said well need to work on your trucks ( john and i)and the whole off camber discussion, im not trying to be a puss but i have plans for a build after this and dont wqant to be set back becuase the terrian was to much. CAn some please exsplain why we would need a welder and time to fix stockers.

Here's your explanation. Quit being such a PU$$Y. Being in the Navy you should be used to a little hazing of the new guy. You are going offroading and have to expect a little bit of problems. Any problems that arise, ie, breaks, getting stuck, etc... is half the fun and if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Besides, I am sure that anything that does happen can be fixed or remedied very quickly. Of course, you reserve the right to, as you say, puss out, but nobody is going to hold a gun to your head (arsoul isn't coming) and make you do anything you don't want to. I have seen a stock X with nothing more than larger than stock tires run trails at Moab, iuncluding Golden Crack with no thing more than a couple of scratches on the bumper. Anyway, I know your a noob to this so I'll forgive you, but there is no backing out until your there and see the ease of these trails. Look at the picture, the road is flat. Stay to the left, away from the cliff, and there won't be any problems. If you see me or albino get nervous, then it's time to worry. Sorry to get all pissy with ya, but relax, you'll be fine.
attachment.php

Albino 94LTD said:
You're going up the side of a mountian with a guy that has rolled 2 Explorers, A guy that would rather walk than drive and a guy that drove past THIS :eek: No worries:D :roll:
Get it right, Iv'e only rolled ONE(1) explorer, it just happened to roll TWICE(2) :D It was seperated by about 5 or 6 years though. :thumbsup:

jtsmith said:
I'd drive up that road right behind ya!!

keyword

behind

Lol, i trust you guys, besides if i roll my truck or destroy it kev will have to tow me home :D

No problem, if you roll, it should flatten out enough that I can put my Ex right on top of yours on the trailer. :D

If it flatens that much ill need the jaws of life to pull me out.

Winches and hi-lift jacks work just as well. A little slower, but still effective:D

Canceled!

This run is officially canceled :(

The Forest service has closed the Cle Elum Valley at the junction of the Cooper River road, 7 miles before where we were going to camp.

Sorry guys, I'm as bummed out as any of you are.

lets plan for some were else this weekend

dreamr said:
Have fun back in there.....it is pretty country and yes there are a couple falls though the lower one is dry this year :(

Follow that there FS road behind Kachess back in to the rock rabbit lakes for a nice camp area........ though......you just might have fun driving the little spur road that branches off from the main road to go to the Rock Rabbit's. Me I park and walk it, but it is doable in a vehicle, the gate keeper is just a bit intimidating ;)
Bryce??? how about here???

:(

I'm up for anywhere. Just let me know soon so I know whether or not to finish loading everything up or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what about rieters pit or somthing.

Back