Cobra's Killed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cobra's Killed

For the holiday season I was lucky enough to take out both my driver's side OEM 2003 Cobra Wheels. Anyone here had any bad experiences running mustang rims on an X due to the additional weight of our trucks? They were very low mile takeoffs measuring 17x9 of course with Toyo Proxy S/T 275/55/r17, which is a pretty beefy tire! Any input appreciated because now I have to buy two new rims regardless and don't want this to become habit..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wouldn't trust a car rim on a truck, not to mention a sports car rim. I'd want some gigantic sidewalls if i were you.

How the hell did you manage to destroy 2 wheels? That seems to be quite an acomplishment. Mustang wheels should be no problem on an Explorer. The only one's I'd personally shy away from are the lightweight wheels like the Steeda Ultralite's. Less weight generally means less strength. I've seen lots of X's on here with mustang wheels and no issues like this. I've also seen Panther platform cars (similar weight to our trucks) run mustang wheels and never have a problem.

I have Saleen Wheels on my X. No problems. I bought them from a member here, that had them on his X.

As a matter of fact, the Saleen Explorers ran the same rims that were put on the Mustangs. Except they ran 255/55-18's on the Explorers.

I would have NO PROBLEMS running a GOOD rim on a truck or SUV...

Good luck,

Ryan

It wasn't your normal pothole! It was where two forms meet and one was chipped off exposing a nice "curb" at 55mph. Wasn't shaped like this \/, but more like this |/. Guess it just one of those things you have no controls over! For now I will buy 2 of the '03 Cobra anny's in grey and run the standard '03 cobra on the passenger side, twoface Exploder. Thanks Guys

damn cobra wheels would look sweet on my 04....

Back