coilover TTB with wheel wells?

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
okay, first off to show I'm serious and not just asking to waste your time... Here's examples of things I've built 100% myself in my garage.

(this photo was from a race this past sat)

483954_269230076538016_1356988523_n_zpsc854e026.jpg

My prerunner...

538315_872409168108_23707796_36019343_1431436756_n.jpg

So assume the fab work isn't an issue...

Here's my situation. I currently own a 91 expo that is in need of MAJOR mechanical love. Basically I bought a basket case for super cheap that had the parts I wanted to build a fun 4WD daily driver and decent crawler.

Here's what I currently own.

100_0484.jpg

100_0407.jpg

Looks sweet but TONS of gremlins... Enough that I'm not even going to bother fixing it. Rather I'm about 99% sure I'm just going to pick up this one this weekend.

3E73Jf3N25K15H45Mbccf314eef2d0d4a10ec.jpg

My parents checked it out today and gave me the heads up that it's really in great condition both mechanical and interior. I'll have it painted when all done after I get the fiberglass and stuff on so exterior is good enough. I had them look at it cause it was about 30 minutes from them but about 3 hours from me. They gave me the thumbs up so I'm heading down sat to look at it and probably bring it home. I trust my dad's evaluation of it.

I don't like the newer front clip that's on the white one I currently own though so I plan to keep the classic square setup and just run fiberglass fenders so I started looking around. That search led me to this picture.

timthumb.php

Now if you look closely, you can see that explorer is on coilovers but still has the inner fender wells in it!!! I would LOVE to do this on my new one! I'd heard this is VERY difficult to do though on the pass side cause of the heater box and stuff above the wheel well in the engine compartment. Does anyone know how true this is? Has anyone done this? Coilovers with keeping most of the wheel wells and only cutting out space for the shock and shock hoop? I'd like to keep them for ease, also keeps crap out of the engine compartment, keeps the fenders just bolt on, etc... I'm not looking for anything crazy here, you can see the first two trucks in my driveway. Those are crazy!!! I want this to just be a casual comfy DD and something I can pull into 4wd and go screw around with my jeep friends in.

Thoughts? Any leads to how much needs cut out? Is it possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool!

Do it!

Attachments

• benStillerDoIt1.jpg
    benStillerDoIt1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 577

I got my parents to check it out for me today cause it happens to be close to where they are and they gave me the thumbs up and said it's worth the drive. So.... If I come home after my 6 hour round trip drive on Sat with it, then trust me, I'm doing it! Project will be started in March if I pick it up!

And thanks for the links, definitely gave me some ideas! Shouldn't be too hard. :)

I was able to keep my inner fenders. Look at posts 404-405 and it shows both sides. Some holes where the 31's rubbed through when running the dunes in stock form and a few sections cut out for the Hoops-shocks-oil filter.

Link to pics of inner fenders in place. Posts 404-405

Back