• Register Today It's free!

cold engine starts but dies

Rickw

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
93 X starts great when cold but shuts down immediately. Have to continue to crank for 1-2 minutes before begins to run. After I get on the road and keep the engine warm the engine runs great. If I stop and wait for the engine to cool, about 1 hour, the problem comes back and it shuts down immediately. I have replaced the MAF sensor, EGT coolant sensor, plugs, plug wires, air filter, egr valve, cleaned throttle, PCV valve, Bimetal sensor, TPS, fuel pump, fuel filter, IAC valve and the problem continues. Had a garage look at it and the mechanic said it may be the engine computer, but he is not sure. There is no check engine light. The problem with replacing the computer is I can't return it if that is not the problem. So, I may be stuck with a computer and still have the problem. If I need the computer, where do you recommend I buy it? Thanks for helping, I am stranded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont know waht happened sry please delete

it sounds like it may be the computer..like its not giving it fuel for the cold start..i dont know all the terminology sorry..but someone else will be able to help u more

hope u get it fixed =)

Originally posted by Rickw
93 X starts great when cold but shuts down immediately. Have to continue to crank for 1-2 minutes before begins to run. After I get on the road and keep the engine warm the engine runs great. If I stop and wait for the engine to cool, about 1 hour, the problem comes back and it shuts down immediately. I have replaced the MAF sensor, EGT coolant sensor, plugs, plug wires, air filter, egr valve, cleaned throttle, PCV valve, Bimetal sensor, TPS, fuel pump, fuel filter, IAC valve and the problem continues. Had a garage look at it and the mechanic said it may be the engine computer, but he is not sure. There is no check engine light. The problem with replacing the computer is I can't return it if that is not the problem. So, I may be stuck with a computer and still have the problem. If I need the computer, where do you recommend I buy it? Thanks for helping, I am stranded.

Hmm. I would try replacing your intake manifold gaskets. It is possible that they leak when cold but when they warm up they expand and dont leak.

Have you checked your Fuel Pressure Regulator? They are a common problem on the Explorers. Pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator. If there's gas in the vacuum port, the regulator is shot.

Yes, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and I still have the problem. Thanks for your help.

elimate the intake leak, it should still idle when cold enless it was a really bad leak, also if the mechanic couldn't find that he shouldn't have his job. You said that the coolant temp sensor was changed? Did this mechanic do any voltage testing or did he just check for codes and sell you parts? You don't need to be buying parts if they work! Check first then order. You are trying to do this diagnose in the process of elimnation, usually this never works, spend an hour at a good equiped garage and have them probe all of your sensors to and from your pcm and elimnate the problem! IF the garage is good enough they shouldn't have to guess.
Good luck!!

Back