Colorado Summer Run 2005 July 22-24 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Summer Run 2005 July 22-24

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thelgord said:
I recently moved to Clifton, CO (next to GJ for those that have never heard of it) from Idaho. Having said that, what is the (in)famous 21 road? is it north or south of town? From the way it has been described on this thread sounds bad, and probably too much for my stock X and my inexperiance, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

As for the trip everyone is planning, I will be in school for the summer, but if i can make I will, but I can't garuntee that at this time.

I'm here in Junction. P.M. me if you want to go see what 21 road is all about.

Jamie you forgot part of this:
You know why GJ is so windy dont you?
Cuz UTAH SUCKS!!!

Its supposed to say: Cuz Utah Sucks and Denver Blows!!!! :p

alrighty, Moab is done, let's get this thing rolling....
How about doing Holy Cross (very difficult 9/10), Wheeler Lake (difficult 8-9/10), and then for an easy one, Mosquito Pass (moderate 5-6/10)?
I'm taking suggestions!!

Other trails in the area that would be scenic:
McCallister Gulch
Ptarmigan Pass
Hagerman Pass
Mt. Lincoln
Mt. Bross

If that sounds good and most people approve of that, I'll start a sign up thread with more information.

for sure it would be great if it were close to wyo!

Is he kidding??

Does anyone have a place where we could leave our trailer and the Pumpkin for a few days while we site see using our camper? Count us in for this run. :exporange :thumbsup:

I'm still not sure if I can be there... if I am there it'll be just as a spectator :( but it looks like lots of fun, those are some great trails.
Rick, if you leave your keys, you can leave your Explorer at my place :).

If we end up running Holy Cross (I hope we do) It might be a good idea to hit the trail kinda early. Last year on this same weekend, there was a buttload of rigs on the trail around noon. There were two broke Jeeps blocking the upper part of the trail for a few hours....................I counted 47 rigs waiting on the trail.

How's Saturday the 23rd at 7:00 am sound for meeting at the Holy Cross trailhead? Or is that too early? (I'm a morning person :D )

Me, my brother & my buddy Jason are gonna stay in a motel in Leadville rather than camp but we'd like to hang out with the campers wherever you'll be camping at.

We're all bringing our rigs on trailers incase something unfortunate happens. If someone breaks something & I don't, I'll be happy to tow your rig home (as long as it's in Colorado) to help out.

Here's a couple pics of Jason's X we put together about 5 weeks ago. Locked at both ends, 37" Iroks.

jason4.jpg

jason6.jpg

Well if those that know the area/trails better than I do think I can do Wheeler... I'm up for that and Mosquito pass...

Bummed to hear that those who are camping may be few :( Me and my buddies had fun at Chinaman's. Thanks for taking over some of the sign-up / admin duties Ryan. Are you camping or hoteling this one?

Now to get off my butt and go visit the shops to have my sliders (I, know... it's about bloody time already... I've been talkin bout it for 2 years!!) figured.. :D :D

So who is all going on this run? Is there a list of participants?

tenikiwon yes yes Will be camping both weekends
mrboyle maybe maybe
rino351 yes no
Becker69 yes maybe
climbnkd2 yes no Planning on camping.
offroader_69_me yes maybe
Warrlord yes no I'll be there
techieman33 maybe maybe Hope to go, would be camping
mixer314 yes yes
Premier maybe maybe Want to come, but wont know untill a later date.
dukebigdog yes no I am in
Rick yes yes We're in. Coming with the Pumpkin and RV.

Argh I hate this part, how about "I want to be there, work permitting and truck being ready (ie emissions stickers on plates)"

Rubicon or Colorado?

Rubicon or Colorado?

Rubicon or Colorado?

This is a tough one!

rino351 said:
alrighty, Moab is done, let's get this thing rolling....
How about doing Holy Cross (very difficult 9/10), Wheeler Lake (difficult 8-9/10), and then for an easy one, Mosquito Pass (moderate 5-6/10)?
I'm taking suggestions!!

Other trails in the area that would be scenic:
McCallister Gulch
Ptarmigan Pass
Hagerman Pass
Mt. Lincoln
Mt. Bross

If that sounds good and most people approve of that, I'll start a sign up thread with more information.

For those of you that are new to this thread and don't feel like reading thru all the previous posts, let me comment on this trail list;

I negotiated the Mosquito, Ptarmigan and Hagerman Pass trails with a stock (rental) 2003 Mounty (5.0 AWD) in September of '03. The running boards ended up getting chipped on the Ptarmigan Pass trail (it wasn't MY truck........). If the truck had about two more inches of ground clearance, that wouldn't have happened. I did have to get out and eyeball a few places on the Ptarmigan & Mosquito Pass trails but never got stuck anywhere. I would think that an Ex on 31s would clear the two places that chipped the 'boards. There are all sorts of side trails to explore especially in the Camp Hale area.

There are two excellent books that I mention way back at the beginning of the thread. Charles Wells is the author and they should be available thru Amazon or Borders. Without them, my trip wouldn't have been as good/fun.

Unfortunately, I will not be making this trip. I had planned to visit my sister and bother-in-law (in Evergreen), ride motorcycles with them and wheel some. They will be out of town on a cruise in late July so we rescheduled for Labor Day weekend.

Have fun and keep an eye out for thunderstorms!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I really want to come to this, it has been a few years since I have wheeled the trails in the area. I will be in Texas the 16th but I would definately try to come the 22nd. I would most likely be staying in a hotel, dont know where yet. Got the ignition switch fixed, fixed my power steering leak and started buying supplies to make my rear bumper today. The Explorer should be ready to go.

Back