How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I can't wait to swap my awd to 4wd manual shift. I am buying this 'neer from my daughter. She bought an 04 v6. I get the 2000 5.0 . I am a huge 5.0 and have had 5.0 'stangs since 1983. I now live in snow climate and will appreciate a 4wd. Heck awd will also be a help just not as desireable.
See Ya
Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats, have fun with the mounty

As far as I have read it probably doesn't make a difference whether you use a rear driveshaft from a standard suspension Expedition or an adjustable suspension. But whichever one you do use write down or remember which one. Apparently they are the same length, size, etc. but they use different U-Joints.

these write ups are straight from the O'Reillys website and are for Spicer U-Joints fitting a 2000 5.4 Expedition 4x4.

Rear Driveshaft
At Transfer Case Or At Rear Axle
4 Wheel Drive
With Adjustable Suspension
Greasable
Bearing Cap Diameter (In): 1.188 X 1.188 Inch
Greaseable: Yes
Length (In): 3.625 X 3.625 Inch
Snap Ring Type: External
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

Rear Driveshaft
At Transfer Case Or At Rear Axle
4 Wheel Drive
Standard Suspension
Greasable
Bearing Cap Diameter (In): 1.062 X 1.062 Inch
Greaseable: Yes
Length (In): 3.625 X 3.625 Inch
Snap Ring Type: External
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

If this is old news, please feel free to delete the post. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I told the guys at the salvage yard it didn't matter which suspension it was from and now I would like to put some sturdy Spicers in it and don't know which size to get without first pulling the driveshaft, pulling the old u-joints out and measuring them.

LUV this thread ! I have a 98,when did the VSS come into use ? THANX !

Just to add a little to this thread , my 97 sport with the 5.0 swap now has a functional 4406 electric shift! I just got it done today , gas tank is in stock position , had to trim the front edge maybe 3/16 off the lip , and the front mount got chopped up and redesigned , my friend shortened the rear drive shaft for me and I reinstalled the original v6 GEM , I'll add pics and put this in my build thread for Vader soon as I get elite status again

Just to add a little to this thread , my 97 sport with the 5.0 swap now has a functional 4406 electric shift! I just got it done today , gas tank is in stock position , had to trim the front edge maybe 3/16 off the lip , and the front mount got chopped up and redesigned , my friend shortened the rear drive shaft for me and I reinstalled the original v6 GEM , I'll add pics and put this in my build thread for Vader soon as I get elite status again

Excellent, great project there.

LUV this thread ! I have a 98,when did the VSS come into use ? THANX !

The VSS is on all of them, but changed locations on models in different years. The Explorers had the VSS on the transmission before 1998, 98 up has it on the rear diff. Bigger Ford trucks have it moved in 1999, the 98 Lincoln transfer case I have has it in it.

I'm in the middle of installing the BW4406, haven't put the transfer case in place yet, but looking at where the locating pin on the t-case is and the bolt pattern on the back of the transmission, it looks like the transfer case will end up mounting almost vertical, with the front output underneath the transmission instead of to the driver's side. The only mention of the locating pin I've been able to find is in the original post where he says to make sure the pin is there. If I need to I'll remove the pin altogether, but I just find it weird that no one else has had this issue, so I thought I'd mention it. Or maybe my eyes are just deceiving me. I'll report back when I get it installed.

Lol it just looks like that , but I can tell you its best to lift it in place vertically, get it on the shaft then rotate it up until the dowel pin goes in ,

Exactly wht delexploder said, lift in space vertically, then rotate. I ratchet strapped the exhaust over to the passenger side to clear it

How easily do your rear driveshafts slip into the back of the transfer case? I've installed mine I think 3 times, and every time it takes like 10 minutes of heavy hitting with a dead blow hammer to get it in. When I had the 2wd transmission and driveshaft it just slid in and out no problem. I haven't driven the truck yet since doing the conversion so maybe the suspension cycling and plunging the driveshaft slip yoke will help loosen things up?

Yes, something must be buggered with the splines, with the driveshaft splines I'll bet.

I recently completed this swap on two 2000 Mountaineers and wanted to share a few things I found.

For the front stamped fuel tank bracket that needs to be modified to clear the 4406, there was also a cast iron version that does not need to be modified. It will bolt right in and provide lots of clearance to the 4406. From my junkyard experience, they are harder to find than the stamped brackets.

I was able to install the t-case without modifying the floor boards. By removing the center section of the transmission cross-member and lowering the back of the transmission, I was able to bolt the t-case on then raise it back into position.

Does anyone know if this would work on a 3rd gen with the single speed awd just like you're replacing here?
Thank you

Does anyone know if this would work on a 3rd gen with the single speed awd just like you're replacing here?
Thank you

You can use the optional transfer case that 3rd gen's came with for 4WD. The BW4406 has a different bolt pattern than your transmissions. Starting in 2002, the transmissions had the same bolt pattern as the transfer cases available, AWD or 4WD, but changed from prior patterns. Here's the front part of your transfer case, which is a BW4410 if it's AWD;

BW4410.JPG

You can use the optional transfer case that 3rd gen's came with for 4WD. The BW4406 has a different bolt pattern than your transmissions. Starting in 2002, the transmissions had the same bolt pattern as the transfer cases available, AWD or 4WD, but changed from prior patterns. Here's the front part of your transfer case, which is a BW4410 if it's AWD;

View attachment 150406

Ah, thank you, is there anything additional I need to do to put in the 4x4 case?

It should be similar to the wiring and module items that have to be done with the 2nd gen's. Hunt more and see if others here have done it. The TC will be the straight forward part, adding the electrical control system will take more time and research.

Did this swap over the weekend, and while I had a much easier job because of my 3" body lift, it was still pretty tough.

Great write-up - I never would have tried this without all the details you all put up here. I must say I am shocked how much better this thing ('01 mounty) drives now. I almost rolled through a stop sign because the lack of front-end drag is so drastic.

The reason I did this swap was because my front diff is eating itself alive, and I wanted to be able to unhook it to work on it, and the gas mileage and low range make it a no brainer.

I would add that doing this in a driveway is basically impossible... I only accomplished it though pure willpower. I see no way to use a jack to lift it into position (without maybe a trans jack, special bracketry, and really tall jack stands). So my note here would be that you should be prepared to balance the beast on the tip of the front-end output housing, and magically shove it up onto the trans output shaft. This is not easy. What I mean by that is it's very difficult. If I did it again, I would remove the exhaust or gas tank.

Other notes, I used a ratchet strap to pull the exhaust out of the way, and had to unstrap and lower the tank to get the bracket back on. Also, bent most of the gas tank flange down around the corner.

Anyway, I'm very sore today but very happy I did this. Still no front driveshaft or shifter... but I'll get to that. All who've done this get major props from this wuss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did this swap over the weekend, and while I had a much easier job because of my 3" body lift, it was still pretty tough.

.... All who've done this get major props from this wuss.

Well done, congrats. I'm aiming at doing it this Winter, and my strength isn't what it used to be. So I hope to jack the hell out of it and not rely on my arms as much. I have a cheap scissors trans jack, I'm about to test that now on my 5R55E trans of my 99 truck.

Back