Interior Dome Lights Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Dome Lights Not Working

vegastime

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
The interior dome lights of my Limited no longer seem to come off and on when I enter/exit, lock/unlock the vehicle. They will come on when I push the actual light. The button to the lower left of the headlight control does not turn on or off the lights, either.

Also, the lights under the side mirrors are no longer coming on, and the controls on the steering wheel are not illuminating.

My battery did die a couple days ago, as somehow I think I left it in accessory mode, and I lost some of the settings. Don't know if this could be a factor.

Anybody have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be, you might want to get the battery fully charged. If that persists I'd go to the dealer in case its something more than a drained battery, like a faulty battery or electrical issue. Heck you never know it could be the alternator damn, thinking about it if you left it in accessory mode you might have fried some wires. But I thought it automatically would shut off after 10 minutes or so exspecially if no key in it.

Not to worry you or anything, just get the battery fully charged and if no go. Go to the dealer or call roadside through FoMoCo and have them take it to the dealer. Of course if its not starting.

But I thought it automatically would shut off after 10 minutes or so exspecially if no key in it.
I inadvertantly left one of my map lights on one evening and the system shut it off. Only noticed it the next day when I started the Ex and the map light came back on.

BMS should turn the power off after 'x' amount of time.

I have no idea why it did not shut off after 10 minutes. I have had no problems with the battery, since.

I was hoping that maybe it was just a fuse, or something. Maybe we did something when we jump started it.

Guess will have to take it to the dealer next week.

I have no idea why it did not shut off after 10 minutes. I have had no problems with the battery, since.

I was hoping that maybe it was just a fuse, or something. Maybe we did something when we jump started it.

Guess will have to take it to the dealer next week.

I won't tell the dealer that your battery died. Let them run the diagnosis and figure it out

...Guess will have to take it to the dealer next week.
vegastime,
I can set up a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area by escalating this for you. I have your VIN from previous communications, so please PM me with your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer info. They’ll do what they can to get this taken care of for you.

Cory

I picked up the other day my dog on the airport at midnight and I noticed that none of my interior lights (other than the ones in front) light up when the doors are opened. Also when I touch the button on the light to turn them on they also don't work. Does anybody have a fuse box diagram I can see before having to go on the car? Maybe its as easy as a blown fuse. :navajo:

I picked up the other day my dog on the airport at midnight and I noticed that none of my interior lights (other than the ones in front) light up when the doors are opened. Also when I touch the button on the light to turn them on they also don't work. Does anybody have a fuse box diagram I can see before having to go on the car? Maybe its as easy as a blown fuse. :navajo:

It is in the manual...looks like it is in the driver's side fuse box which has a cover on it by the brake pedal, #4 (10A) which covers "interior demand lamps" or fuse 12 (15A) for "interior courtesy lamps". Numbering starts from top left and goes down

Dont have the manual but I'll look for it online. Thanks!

How do I get them to turn on when I open the doors? The manual just acknowledges that the overhead lights should come on when the doors are opened but does not explain how to turn this feature on. Mine do not come on.

Thats a good question mine automatically came on one day I had an issue getting the 2nd row lights to go out but later figured out my daughter had reached up and turned them on lol

How do I get them to turn on when I open the doors? The manual just acknowledges that the overhead lights should come on when the doors are opened but does not explain how to turn this feature on. Mine do not come on.
Welcome to the Forum dac.:wavey:
First let me suggest that you show which year and model you have by puttingthat info in your profile so it shows up in the left hand margin or fill in the Vehicle Specs. Some answers will depend upon that info.
The most common complaint on the forum about the interior lights is that there is no way to turn then OFF. To the best of my knowledge, there is no ON/OFF setting for them unless they have introduced that for the 2013's. They should automatically come ON when you open the door.
Can you turn the interior lights on manually?

Peter

First let me suggest that you show which year and model you have by puttingthat info in your profile so it shows up in the left hand margin or fill in the Vehicle Specs. Some answers will depend upon that info.
The most common complaint on the forum about the interior lights is that there is no way to turn then OFF. To the best of my knowledge, there is no ON/OFF setting for them unless they have introduced that for the 2013's. They should automatically come ON when you open the door.
Can you turn the front map/reading ligts on manually?

Peter

2013 is no different in regards to no way to stop lights from coming on. I have black electrical tape over the 2nd row lights.

Hi dac,

Hmm. Are you referring to the front row map lamps? I took a look at your vehicle's Owner's Manual, 2nd Printing (available for download here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Explorer). Have you tried depressing the edge of the lights, as indicated on page 77?

If that doesn't work, I'd mention this to your dealer the next time you have a service appointment. Additionally, I'm happy to assist by getting your concern escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest.

Can you turn the interior lights on manually?

Peter

2013 is no different in regards to no way to stop lights from coming on. I have black electrical tape over the 2nd row lights.

Thanks for adding to the conversation, everyone!

Crystal

Dome lights, Side mirror lights, controls on steering wheel not working

The interior dome lights of my Limited no longer seem to come off and on when I enter/exit, lock/unlock the vehicle. They will come on when I push the actual light. The button to the lower left of the headlight control does not turn on or off the lights, either.

Also, the lights under the side mirrors are no longer coming on, and the controls on the steering wheel are not illuminating.

My battery did die a couple days ago, as somehow I think I left it in accessory mode, and I lost some of the settings. Don't know if this could be a factor.

Anybody have any ideas?

I have the same problems as you. Did you get to fix it?

I have the same problems as you. Did you get to fix it?
Welcome to the Forum JavierF.:wavey:
Almost sounds like a blown fuse. Unfortunately the fuse panel is a pain in the a** to get to. I don't think it could have been put in a more inconvenient place. Leaving the accessory mode ON should not kill the battery. The battery saver program will shut it off, I believe, after 30 minutes.
Look in your Owner's Guide under Fuses. It sound like it could be fuse #12.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum JavierF.:wavey:
Almost sounds like a blown fuse. Unfortunately the fuse panel is a pain in the a** to get to. I don't think it could have been put in a more inconvenient place. Leaving the accessory mode ON should not kill the battery. The battery saver program will shut it off, I believe, after 30 minutes.
Look in your Owner's Guide under Fuses. It sound like it could be fuse #12.

Peter

Thank you peterk9. I already checked fuse #12 a few days ago and it was ok. Next time I will use a mirror... Right now my Explorer is at a Ford dealer and they say that this area is not getting any signal from the module.

Hi, JavierF & vegastime!
Any luck or info on your interior dome light issues? I also have the same issue on my '12 Ex LTD. Appreciate any assistance before getting with the dealer service dept. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, JavierF & vegastime!
Any luck or info on your interior dome light issues? I also have the same issue on my '12 Ex LTD. Appreciate any assistance before getting with the dealer service dept. Thanks.

Hi Return2GU08,

Going to the dealership is a great idea; you'll be in good hands and they'll get this concern resolved for you. I noticed that you live in Guam; if you need any additional assistance you can give our Asia Pacific group a call at +1 (313) 594-4857.

Crystal

Back