Crawlin91's build thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crawlin91's build thread

My ranger
Plans 6" skyjacker suspension, 1 piece driveshaft swap, 8.8 TrueTrac swap, 4.56s, tube bumpers/sliders, 33's
99-1.jpg

1.jpg

fun stuff from the junkyard
kk.jpg

23.jpg

tear down
vv.jpg

ert.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

empty 8.8
556.jpg

8.8 with precision gear 4.56s and TrueTrac
1021082356.jpg

1021081734.jpg

geard d35 pig
gears.jpg

interior mod (sawzall and some twine)
b4.jpg

after.jpg

cheap exhaust mod Flowmaster 40
mfl2.jpg

mfl.jpg

new tires Mickey Thompson mtzs 33 12.5 15
tz.jpg

tz2.jpg

spring over swap stuff and Big F*'n diff cover:salute:
66.jpg

Simple20Swap20with20Shock20Brackets.jpg

5-1.jpg

looks like a sweet build. Suscribing. That pickup reminds me of my dad's ranger growing up.

subscribing... looks like tons of fun...

todays test fitment....I had to check it out.
25.jpg

check the *******ized ranger/sploder leaf packs....
***.jpg

I figured they would be too stiff along so got new fr34 leafs from skyjacker...also picked up soft coils and shocks
and while Im whoring, the parts runners used when my truck is on jackstands
u.jpg

build starts tomorrow. Starting with welding of perches and shock mounts to do make the explorer axle spring over.

Then yanking out the 2 piece driveshaft, carrier bearing and support beam to install a 98 fx4 single piece shaft in its place. (with 6" of lift there will be lots of vibration using the 2 piece) gotta stop by the drivetrain shop and get either a u joint or different sized flange to fit my Tcase. locating the last of what I need has been a beeotch. but will be damn well worth it.:D

also going to try and get the lift and regeared d35 warn hubs and new brakes under there this weekend. I will be taking apart alot of sh*t ive never even touched before so it should be fun.:confused:

new u conversion u joint and old t case flange for 1 piece driveshaft
1031081041.jpg

Ripped out the 7.5
1031081317.jpg

bolted up the 8.8 and set her on its weight to tack in the perches
1031081758.jpg

burn it home
1031081820.jpg

yanked the front end lift install started but not finished....
1101081652.jpg

Looks good man, keep us posted.

Curious: why go with a 1-piece driveshaft when the 2-piece minimizes the chances of bending the driveshaft's tube on obstacles?

Curious: why go with a 1-piece driveshaft when the 2-piece minimizes the chances of bending the driveshaft's tube on obstacles?

with 6" of lift I would have alot of vibration and I would have to lower my carrier bearing. and rather than guess and check to find the right pinion angles I just swapd in a 1 piece.

98 and up fx4's were all equipped with these driveshafts and are a bolt in swap.(unless you need different flanges), I got mine free from the same guy who sold me the used superlift. I used a conversion 1310-1330 ujoint with the front flange off of the original 2piece shaft. I just cut out the piece holding the carrier bearing completely (its not a strucural part of the frame) as well as shaving an inch or so off of the front 2/3 of the skidplate. Which you will have to do if lifting as the shaft will contact both when the rear droops. I was flexing her out last night and discovered more rubbing so I cut a little more off the skid today.

check the pic below you can see some of the "crossmember" as well as the trimming back to where im pointing
1119081544.jpg

with 6" of lift I would have alot of vibration and I would have to lower my carrier bearing. and rather than guess and check to find the right pinion angles I just swapd in a 1 piece.
Okay gotcha. :thumbsup:

Truck looks pretty clean inside and out for a 91:thumbsup:

I had a 1 piece driveshaft made when i did the first lift on my Ranger cause I was getting a bad vibration too.

almost there...........
1104081438.jpg

:salute::D
1106081435.jpg

1106081437.jpg

1106081436.jpg

lookin good

Thank you. It should be pretty capable now, not that I wasnt impressed with the off road performance of it in stock form(till the auto hubs blew). I gotta break in the gears and then I will be ready to wheel!

And thanks to everyone for making this site such a good reference, It helped alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yah when i got my ex the passenger side auto hub grenaded the first time i tried wheelin it.

Back