CV joint Mathmatical stand point second try | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV joint Mathmatical stand point second try

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
Taking some measuments of the suspension, i record:

driver side

l_52e0ac5557a44c7d9a89a67ea9f5973d.png

passenger side

l_39a1e5db9cbe4946a18e447e4d0ed942.png

My driver side torsion spring is blatantly sagging. The driver side ride height is a full inch lower than the passanger side.

I have a question on the maximum angle the CV joint can handle with out being damaged.

This is a picture of ride hight compared to the angel of the CV joint.

l_1a96a06438a941b588b9161525e2aa45.png

As the ride height goes up the cv angle gets smaller causeing there to be more strain on the joint.

So what if i do a TT lift. People have agreeed that 2 inches is the max but is it really?

There is the possibility that my car started out lower that everone elses. Lets say 1 inch lower. So i raise the car 2 inches using TT. I could still rasie the car 1 inch and be safe.

But what if my car started out 1 inch higher than everone elses. Maybe it was leveled in the past by a pervious owner. I rasie it 2 inches and now the angel of the CV joint cause lots of stress and it breakes.

If any one knows what a safe angel for the CV joint is, could you please post it? :) The 2 inch ruel dosen't seem like a rule that will always work.

Also, does any one know the stock ride height that a 1998 ford explorer v8 is supposed to have. I know it depends on tire size. But i am trying to get an idea of how worn out my passenger side torsion spring is.

....oh and were do i find a replacement torsion spring? Either a performance or new. I cant find anyone who has one

Somewhere on this site, from many many years ago, is the measurement system that Ford uses to set your torsion bar height. I'm thinking "Robert" may have posted it.

Its basically measurements similar to your diagrams. But with Ford tolerances and settings.

The shocks will limit the angle no matter what, as to keep it from being to extreme. The best thing to do (in my opinion) is start by raising the front end off the ground, measure the height of the top of the wheel to the top of the fender under full droop. Lower the truck back to the ground, let it settle, measure again. Now adjust the height equal on both sides, with a certain amount of down travel. With no adjustments on my sport trac, it had 2.5" of down travel (or droop) from ride height. I left it alone where it is. I would leave atleast (very minimum) 1.5-2" of droop to maintain a decent ride and keep from topping out of small bumps or dips. Leaving that amount of droop will leave the CV's at an angle that will be just fine.
The "2 inch rule" is really garbage, like you said. Maybe someone's rig has already sagged 2", now it is at factory height. Or maybe the truck is brand new with 2.5" of droop, you raise it 2" and have almost no droop left and get a crappy ride.
Measuring the control arm heights and frame heights isn't a reliable method (in my opinion again) because tires can wear unevenly, have different air pressure, different sizes, etc.

Back