D44/9" Swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D44/9" Swap

I got my donor vehicle home yesterday, It is a 78 f-150 with a 4" lift
I am going to the leave the axles full width. Intially I plan on putting a detroit locker in the 9 with yukon 4.56 gears and the 44 is getting a yukon 4.56's, ARB locker.
The Radius arm brackets from the f-150 will be bolted to explorers frame.
I would like to box and extend the radius arms with a heim joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jrgaylor said:
Phil- I did use the pressure washer on it earlier, it I got the X to clean then I would have to think about removing some dents :D

And to think I still detail my engine bay and drag the buffer out at least once or twice a season :confused:

The scratches almost didn't come out after the overgrown fire roads I found this past weekend. I must have been confused and thought I was in a different rig or on a 4 wheeler :eek:

4 hours later a coat of polishing compound, a coat of cleaner wax, a coat of scratch X, and a top layer of carnuba and it almost looks new. With the exception of a few big white "stripes". Of course I still have filthy tires, rims, and frame :rolleyes:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow I love where you put your ARB switches. I may steal that idea. Looking great.
Edit, also are those springs still on special? I gotta get rid of the stupidlift springs fast. They suck

TheRookie said:
Wow I love where you put your ARB switches. I may steal that idea. Looking great.
Edit, also are those springs still on special? I gotta get rid of the stupidlift springs fast. They suck

I would check their website quick, because they only had a limited number of them.

Finally I got my axles back :D :thumbsup:
Tomorrow afternoon I get to start removing the TTB setup so, you who are still running TTB buy my stuff I got up for sale in the thread in my sig.
I took one last flex shot the other day.

Attachments

• IM001095.JPG
    IM001095.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 318

I just found this thread Joe, and all I can say is.. WHOA. Your explorer is going to be crazy as soon as its finished. Cant wait to see it in action some day :thumbsup:

The TTB suspension is out of there and the 44 is under it now :thumbsup:

can i get your coil srings from your lift i want to put them on my rear axle as a three link.

brnbomr said:
can i get your coil srings from your lift i want to put them on my rear axle as a three link.

I have a sale pending on them right now but if it does not go through you can have them $80 plus shipping they have less than 500 miles on them.
Do you have any pics of your trac bar and steering set up if you have coils in trhe front

I got the front end fitted (tack welds) into place now,next step is to drill new bolt holes for the coilbuckets and box in the tubing (3/16 x 2 x 5 )I used to space out the coil buckets as well as run some stiffners up the back of the coil buckets.
Right now I have a drop pitman on but I am going to see how the stock pitman arm looks on there, so I can raise my trac bar mounting bracket
which is still requiring some fab work for stength.
I am using a stock explorer draglink.
I have not gained much if any lift from when I had my TTB suspension and when I am able to get 36's I will trim my fenders for clearance.
and you can see from the pics that the front driveshaft angles are good

Attachments

• IM001112.JPG
    IM001112.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 298
  • IM001113.JPG
    IM001113.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IM001114.JPG
    IM001114.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 298

more pics

Attachments

• IM001115.JPG
    IM001115.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 290
  • IM001116.JPG
    IM001116.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 368
  • IM001120.JPG
    IM001120.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 297

last pic for tonight

Attachments

• IM001118.JPG
    IM001118.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 270

Damn! Looks good. :thumbsup: :cool:

BTW, it looks like you have a dent on the side of your truck :p

One more thing. I can't believe I wanted to cut down the axle before! Now that I see more FW swaps, it hardly even sticks out compared to what I thought. :thumbsup:

bmxking5 said:
BTW, it looks like you have a dent on the side of your truck :p

when we get some decent weather I think I will try to buff it out :D :thumbsup:

I'll detail your truck for you if you'll come do my SAS. :D

Should I ever get concerned about body, I have a spare hood,hatch,both fenders,four doors, grill, and side glass :thumbsup:

Dang dude that is going to be one bad ride when your done.

let me know when your done and we can hit Elbe. I've been working on my rig a bit as of late as well :thumbsup:

dreamr said:
Hey Joe, will you take a few shots of your radius arm set-up and brackets. Please :D

I will once I have them full bolted inplace and correctly postioned.
Some of the spare parts I have would probably work for your swap (ie 4" coils,steering box and maybe a new trac-bar)

jrgaylor said:
I will once I have them full bolted inplace and correctly postioned.
Some of the spare parts I have would probably work for your swap (ie 4" coils,steering box and maybe a new trac-bar)

I could deffinately use the steering box when payday rolls around next Friday.
I am not sure if 4" coils will provide the lift I neeed to clear the engine crossmember, but then again that all depends on where I mount the buckets I suppose. Hmm If you still have the stuff come next weekend I'll drop a PM before we head out of town.

Back