Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The burden on Ford might be to just print a few pages of a ExplorerForum.com thread...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What makes you, or anyone think, that printing the manual "proves" something?

My limit is 2k according to all you die hards on this topic. Say my tow load comes in at 2,200 lbs. Ford has no capacity to come out and determine the two load. They can quote all they want but if someone has a certified tow hitch and quotes their vehicle capacity and states they never exceeded it, then what?

The burden on Ford might be to just print a few pages of a ExplorerForum.com thread...

What makes you, or anyone think, that printing the manual "proves" something?

My limit is 2k according to all you die hards on this topic. Say my tow load comes in at 2,200 lbs. Ford has no capacity to come out and determine the two load. They can quote all they want but if someone has a certified tow hitch and quotes their vehicle capacity and states they never exceeded it, then what?

I said nothing about printing the manual...

You are absolutely right, but the burden is still going to be on Ford to prove the weight, which is hard pressed if done periodically.

That said, these are the same people who sold me a car with no one in the dealership knowing that you could flat tow the Explore behind an RV.

Touche

I am in no way suggesting that people do or don't do a specific thing with their car. I am suggesting they make an informed decision (not just from me, but from all of us. ) Good healthy discussion can only do good things.

That is awesome, thank you so much for this. I will see if I can reach/see behind the bezel tonight and verify that the wiring Harness is there. If so I will most definitely go forward with this install.

If successful I will take pics and write up a little install guide :)

Cheers !

Alright, finally got a chance to look into this. Found the wire plugged into a "dummy" connector in the back of the Trim Bezel. Ordered just the button module this morning, once I install it and see that it works I will get the trim piece.

Being shipped from the states so won't get it until mid next week my dealership said, unfortunate since I'm towing my boat tomorrow would of been cool to test.

Cheers

Ford should be ashamed of themselves charging $570 for an option that's so easily activated with a $12 switch.

(yes, this is sarcasm...)

Are you not forgetting the other stuff includes with that $570. price?

You are absolutely right, but the burden is still going to be on Ford to prove the weight, which is hard pressed if done periodically.

Chances are Ford will never know that you towed more then 2,000lbs with a non tow package equipped Explorer.

The issue in my eyes is if you are towing more then what the Explorer is rated for, you are liable if you get into an accident and cause damage/harm. You better believe that if you are in a major accident, weight will be looked at if you are towing and to have a vehicle towing more then it is rated will put all liability on you.

Being on the RV forums and super duty forums, I read all the time about proper weight ratings and towing. This is the bigger concern over a warranty issue.

I understand and appreciate that. I know from reading, research, asking Ford, talking to Ford, etc, that the XLT Explorer with a Class III hitch can tow up to 3,500 lbs. It is not designed to do that on a consistent basis, hence the need for a tow package, but it can from time to time, safely. 3,500 lbs is also the limit, above which you are required to have trailer brakes.

So, I have the hitch, the trailer and will shortly put on the trans cooler, and have the transmission electronics. I also don't drive like some of these idiot 4x4 Ford F250's hauling an enclosed or lawn trailer, which you seem to see a lot of this time of the year.

Two things Mike:

1) I always get the tow package on my Explorer because I always have a couple of boats that I pull. But, I always get the tow package on the Ex my wife drives partly because I want to be able to tow with it if I need to (but never do). But, more importantly, I would do it even if we didn't pull a boat because I believe that a tow package, no matter what equipment it adds, adds longevity to a vehicle.

2) I've ruined a transmission pulling a load that was beyond the published tow capabilities before. It happened quit with little warning. I lived and learned at my own expense.

Does anyone see an issue just towing a small pop up camper with an explorer though without the tow package? They are usually right around that 2k mark +-200lbs (the one i was just looking at came in at around 1700 unloaded). I honestly will never have a need to tow more than that for the foreseeable future.

Alright, finally got a chance to look into this. Found the wire plugged into a "dummy" connector in the back of the Trim Bezel. Ordered just the button module this morning, once I install it and see that it works I will get the trim piece.

Being shipped from the states so won't get it until mid next week my dealership said, unfortunate since I'm towing my boat tomorrow would of been cool to test.

Cheers

Got the piece yesterday, plugged it in and worked like a charm ! I can confirm the tow button can be added to a 2012 XLT without power liftgate.

Cheers

Possibly useless info, but...

I think the original question regarded a 2011 without tow and I know some things are different. I have a 2013 Limited without the tow package. However, through the dash/steering wheel left side navigation buttons, I can turn tow/trailer sway on and off as well as set fuel economy calculations for normal or tow mode.
Also the coolant capacity is 12.7 quarts for the 2011 without tow and 13.5 with tow so we're talking less than a quart difference in cooling capacity. While I didn't look into the 2012, all '13 and later years have 13.5 quart radiators regardless of tow. I was unable to find anything that specifically indicated there WAS an oil cooler with tow package and WAS NOT one without tow.

What may be most revealing is Ford indicates that the towing capacity for all with the 3.5L is 2,000# "weight-carrying max trailer capacity" and a 200# tongue load... OR 5,000# "weight-distributing max trailer capacity" and a 500# tongue load. Also, the 5,000# capacity is only with a weight-distributing hitch.

Maybe those who tow understand what that actually means in real world towing language.
Again not sure this adds anything but chatter to the conversation...

You can tell a 2013 and 2014 Ex (I'm not positivie about 2011 and 2012s) with tow from the front because there's a cutout in the lower passenger side of the bumper for an air duct that runs to the oil cooler. Non-tow vehicles do not have the cutout and, presumably, the air duct or the additional oil cooler.

You can see the cutout location in this photo...

2013-Ford-Explorer-Limited-front-three-quarters-in-motion-2.jpg

Photo credit: Motortrend

The Sport models have them whether they have the 'tow package' or not. The air is funneled to the rear turbo for cooling.

Peter

The Sport models have them whether they have the 'tow package' or not. The air is funneled to the rear turbo for cooling.

Peter

Good point; I should have mentioned that.

You can tell a 2013 and 2014 Ex (I'm not positivie about 2011 and 2012s) with tow from the front because there's a cutout in the lower passenger side of the bumper for an air duct that runs to the oil cooler. Non-tow vehicles do not have the cutout and, presumably, the air duct or the additional oil cooler.

You can see the cutout location in this photo...

2013-Ford-Explorer-Limited-front-three-quarters-in-motion-2.jpg

Photo credit: Motortrend

All tow models (11-14) have that vent. My 11 has it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure I have that cutout on my 13 sport non tow package. Might not have the "duct" though. Have to look when I leave work today.

Back