Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I really don't think this is true. Having looked on the parts site I don't really see different trannies. I see differences based on build date and year which is obviously to be expected but not multiple variations like you report.

The tranny has a flash built into the ECU for towing that is accessed with the tow button. This changes shift patterns to ease strain on the tranny and the button can be easily added as stated in this thread.

The oil cooler is really the main part I would want. Though if you watch temps and change oil religiously this is not a huge concern. I have a sport so I had one no matter what.

It is true. The non-tow transmission is 44J. The Transmission included with the tow package is 44C. You'll sometimes see the transmission included with the tow package as '6 Speed Selectshift Automatic (TR-CG)'. The non-tow transmission doesn't have the '(TR-CG)' designation.

But, I've got the factory tow package on all my vehicles so I'm not at risk. I'm simply trying to help by pointing out something that is very important.

There's plenty of Ford Reps on this forum that can address this, hopefully before someone messes up a perfectly fine and functioning transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is true. The non-tow transmission is 44J. The Transmission included with the tow package is 44C. You'll sometimes see the transmission included with the tow package as '6 Speed Selectshift Automatic (TR-CG)'. The non-tow transmission doesn't have the '(TR-CG)' designation.

But, I've got the factory tow package on all my vehicles so I'm not at risk. I'm simply trying to help by pointing out something that is very important.

There's plenty of Ford Reps on this forum that can address this, hopefully before someone messes up a perfectly fine and functioning transmission.

the difference is the manual mode in the transmission. This has been bothing me all day. The TR-CG trans has the select shift vs. the other does not. The tranny however is the same but you gain the ability to manually shift with the tow package. So yes different I guess but not the internals or the ability to tow different weights.

the difference is the manual mode in the transmission. This has been bothing me all day. The TR-CG trans has the select shift vs. the other does not. The tranny however is the same but you gain the ability to manually shift with the tow package. So yes different I guess but not the internals or the ability to tow different weights.

I really don't know what the internal differneces are but the non-tow 44J transmission is also called a Selectshift transmission.

I do notice that the Sport, regardless of whether it has factory tow or not, has the TR-CG transmission.

Same Transmission

Without any doubt, people will agree and disagree, even if they are both looking at the same thing.

I went to Ford yesterday to research this on my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. In short, at least on the 2011 model, (I cannot vouch for any other), there is NO difference in the transmissions between the model with the tow package and without.

I understand and appreciate Rubberhead's comments and am certainly not saying he is incorrect, simply that on the first year these vehicles came out, 2011, there is no difference, meaning installing that new switch WILL provide you the tow mode on the transmission. I just finished the install on my Ex and it does in fact work.

What I DO NOT have, however, is an auxiliary oil and/or transmission cooler and am going to look into that, more transmission then oil.

Being involved in the Police program I can tell you first hand, not opinion or hearsay, that the tow transmission is significantly different than the non-tow.

Interceptor transmission is a tow version with different programming.

The gears inside are heavier duty, different size, different composition, different tensile strength.

The Power Transfer Unit is liquid & air cooled as compared to air cooled in the non tow.

Other than the Sport you would get the oil cooler as well. I looked at adding it a while back to my non-tow 2011 Explorer, it is possible to add the parts.

There is also a larger tow package radiator that comes with the tow package, people often forget about this.

This is no different than the EcoBoost 3.5 V6 in the Explorer Sport is not the same as the one in the F150, and neither of those two are the same as the new police Interceptor EcoBoost V6. Completely different pistons, rings, valves, almost everything internal in the engine.

That comes from some very bright people at Ford engineering, not the internet

[MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION]

If your reply was prompted by my post, I certainly respect and understand what you are saying. I simply am trying to clear up some misconception by some of the posts here, specifically in regard to the 2011 Base, XLT and Limited, that that model's transmission is the same.

There has been some discussion about adding the tow switch, which I have done, to get a "pseudo" tow mode, but it is certainly NOT the same as having the tow package and no one should think it does.

I occasionally two a few items, very rarely, and find it a pain in the behind to have to rest my hand on the shifter, in manual mode, and shift accordingly. At the very least, the two haul button will change my shift points and lock out the overdrive, which serves only as a "helper". I am not naive to think I have the tow package and no one else should think so either.

Not prompted at all, just trying to add to the clarification process for people who may not understand the differences.

[MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION]

If your reply was prompted by my post, I certainly respect and understand what you are saying. I simply am trying to clear up some misconception by some of the posts here, specifically in regard to the 2011 Base, XLT and Limited, that that model's transmission is the same.

There has been some discussion about adding the tow switch, which I have done, to get a "pseudo" tow mode, but it is certainly NOT the same as having the tow package and no one should think it does.

I occasionally two a few items, very rarely, and find it a pain in the behind to have to rest my hand on the shifter, in manual mode, and shift accordingly. At the very least, the two haul button will change my shift points and lock out the overdrive, which serves only as a "helper". I am not naive to think I have the tow package and no one else should think so either.
Unless you are in a Sport.
In a Sport, there is no difference across the board minus the tow button, the hitch, and the harness.

Well, so far my investment is not too bad. I did not get the tow package but wish I did. The hitch I added early on. The switch I added last week and works like a charm.

Tuesday Cottman Transmission is putting on a transmission cooler for me. I think for the 3 or 4 times a hear I haul about 2300 lbs, I should be good to go.

Towing with after market hitch

Hey Everyone!

New member here. I just bought a 2013 Explorer Xlt. The dealer and I had a misunderstanding about the towing package. He said it was on there and I didn't think much about it. However, after finalizing everything I went to check it out and there's nothing there :mad: I spoke to my salesman and they refunded me $600 since they said they made a mistake. I appreciate this as they didn't have to do anything.

I'm looking at some aftermarket curt hitches that are rated for 4000 lbs, but I'm assuming the towing capacity of the vehicle is only 2,000lbs now since it doesn't "technically" have the towing package, though it has trailer sway control.

If I add the factory ford hitch, would I be ok to tow more than 2,000? Anyone tow more than 2,000 with an aftermarket hitch? I'm assuming the majority of the issue is transmission/oil temperature which I could monitor on my own via obdII if I had to. I can also shift manually to keep it from hunting to keep temps down. Most of the time i'll be hauling a small trailer with grass clippings, some lumber or trim all under 1,000lbs, but occasionally I'd like to maybe tow a pop up camper (2,000lbs +- 300lbs) and maybe a 17.5 Aluminum boat with a 125hp.

Any thoughts, opinions and/or ideas on this? I'm looking forward to being a contributing member on this forum! I should mention is has the select shift transmission which I believe has the tranny cooler in it. The dealer listing states it has an aux tranny cooler.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum orangesoda123.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with tthis one on basically the same issue.

Peter

Hey Everyone!

New member here. I just bought a 2013 Explorer Xlt. The dealer and I had a misunderstanding about the towing package. He said it was on there and I didn't think much about it. However, after finalizing everything I went to check it out and there's nothing there :mad: I spoke to my salesman and they refunded me $600 since they said they made a mistake. I appreciate this as they didn't have to do anything.

I'm looking at some aftermarket curt hitches that are rated for 4000 lbs, but I'm assuming the towing capacity of the vehicle is only 2,000lbs now since it doesn't "technically" have the towing package, though it has trailer sway control.

If I add the factory ford hitch, would I be ok to tow more than 2,000? Anyone tow more than 2,000 with an aftermarket hitch? I'm assuming the majority of the issue is transmission/oil temperature which I could monitor on my own via obdII if I had to. I can also shift manually to keep it from hunting to keep temps down. Most of the time i'll be hauling a small trailer with grass clippings, some lumber or trim all under 1,000lbs, but occasionally I'd like to maybe tow a pop up camper (2,000lbs +- 300lbs) and maybe a 17.5 Aluminum boat with a 125hp.

Any thoughts, opinions and/or ideas on this? I'm looking forward to being a contributing member on this forum! I should mention is has the select shift transmission which I believe has the tranny cooler in it. The dealer listing states it has an aux tranny cooler.

Thanks!
The gist of it (you can get all opinions from reading this thread) is:
You can probably get away with towing more, but you've got some other differences. On the XLT, the tow model has a different transmission, a transmission cooler, an oil cooler, and tow mode button (in addition to sway control). The suspension is the same, so you should be capable there.
Now, if you do choose to tow over 2,000 lbs and something gets torn up on your Ex, then don't count on it being covered under warranty.

I think the dealer owes you a 'new' 2013 with towing.

The components of towing: hitch-differential-transmission-engine-cooling-etc all form a chain with the towing capacity being driven by the weakest link in that chain.

It's easy to add a hitch with enough capacity and, I think, we all agree that the engine and differential ratios are the same for factory tow and non-tow Explorers with the naturally aspirated 3.5L engine.

However, the point was made that the transmissions are different unless you have a Sport. Not knowing whether the transmission was the factor that limited the non-tow Explorers to 2,000 lbs or not - you're taking a big, big, expensive risk if you exceed the 2,000 lbs of the non-tow Explorer.

Everyone is saying that the XLT has a different transmission. I am not saying it doesn't, but the 2011 model XLT, which I know is not what you have, does not have a different transmission. It would benefit you to not follow what everyone is saying about that here but thoroughly investigate that yourself to put your mind at ease.

That said, I am adding a transmission cooler to my arrangement, $200. locally. I might do an oil cooler but I am more concerned about the transmission.

I added a curt and wiring harness and have easily towed up to 2,000 lbs w/o any noticeable differences or issues. I am not putting a 6x12 enclosed which has a lot more wind drag. That and my trike would be right at 2,500 and I don't see issues as I might do that three times a year.

The last thing to throw in is that you can also purchase through eBay the secondary switch that pops in next to the hatch lift and it will give you a tow mode on the vehicle. Mine definitely does.

No one is saying the XLT has a different transmission.

A lot of people are saying that a non-factory tow XLT, Limited or Base has a different transmission than a XLT, Limited or Base with a factory tow package.

That is not accurate. What I was alluding to, for example, is there is no difference in transmissions within the spectrum of the 2011 Explorer. The base, the XLT, the limited, with the 3.5, whether factory equipped tow package or not, all have the exact same transmission and I did take the time to research this.

Now, that said, and I did post this earlier, I do not know if they made changes in later years but simply the 2011's all use the same transmission with this engine.

That said, I believe you, and a few others, contradict some of this information so who is the other person to believe, you, me, someone else? If it were me, on something this important, I'd take the time to go look into it personally.

That is not accurate. What I was alluding to, for example, is there is no difference in transmissions within the spectrum of the 2011 Explorer. The base, the XLT, the limited, with the 3.5, whether factory equipped tow package or not, all have the exact same transmission and I did take the time to research this.

Now, that said, and I did post this earlier, I do not know if they made changes in later years but simply the 2011's all use the same transmission with this engine.

That said, I believe you, and a few others, contradict some of this information so who is the other person to believe, you, me, someone else? If it were me, on something this important, I'd take the time to go look into it personally.
In any case... the fact remains that Ford will likely not warranty any damage incurred while towing more than 2,000 lbs. (As stated in their towing guide)

I would not go that far.

First, the towing, per page 264 of the manual differentiates the towing limit to the hitch, with a class I being 2,000 lbs and a class III being 5,000 lbs. for FWD Explorers with the 3.5l. Now that said, there has been a length, and IMHO, rather boring and benign discussion here about what constitutes a class I and class III hitch. The manual does not differentiate and you can purchase a proper hitch that attaches to the vehicle frame which qualifies as a class III. Would I tow that much, no, not with an Explorer.

So, that said, the discussion is what is Ford going to do. What can they prove? How would they prove it? It would be a difficult proposition at best.

If I knew how to tow, and I do, and I towed properly, I could likely pull 3,000lbs all day long and not do any damage to the Ford. I do think that would be a push, however, but once in a blue moon if you had to? Sure, I don't think it would hurt a properly maintained vehicle.

Everyone here has their opinion, right or wrong. I would hope that anyone towing a heavy weight with their Explorer, which may not have a towing package, would know without even asking they are pushing a vehicle not designed for it and taking a risk. On the other hand, I think any one of these vehicles in a crisis could handle it but not long term.

I think if you put a good quality, Curt for example, Class III rated hitch on your Explorer, buy into the two button, add an oil and/or transmission cooler, and brakes on the tow, you'd be good for a bit of towing but I wouldn't be climbing hills with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are absolutely right, but the burden is still going to be on Ford to prove the weight, which is hard pressed if done periodically.

That said, these are the same people who sold me a car with no one in the dealership knowing that you could flat tow the Explore behind an RV.

Back