Difference between 91-94 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between 91-94

Oh Fantastic! I just bought a '92. They really made 15 hp less for some reason? Oh well, it's been pampered at least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

El Luchador said:
Oh Fantastic! I just bought a '92. They really made 15 hp less for some reason? Oh well, it's been pampered at least.

Yes, if its a manual, it is ratred at 145 hp as opposed to the automatic which is 160 hp. I don't know why they are different. Maybe the manual was tuned differently, or maybe the lack of a torque converter makes the horsepower vs rpm curve different.

Look at the bright side: With the stock 3.27 gears and stick, I average 19 mpg with 21 mpg on a longer highway trip. You would be hard pressed to find an SUV or light truck that does better. Its within a couple of mpg of the V6 3.0 L Escape, and in some cases better. Escape owners are reporting between about 18 and 24 mpg.

Also, if you have the manual trans, it will be more reliable than the A4LD automatic that was used in the early Explorers.

Then there's the "coolness factor", which is easily worth 15 hp, especially if you put in the Hurst shifter (as I plan to do).

Bob

Bwana Bob said:
Yes, if its a manual, it is ratred at 145 hp as opposed to the automatic which is 160 hp. I don't know why they are different. Maybe the manual was tuned differently, or maybe the lack of a torque converter makes the horsepower vs rpm curve different.

Look at the bright side: With the stock 3.27 gears and stick, I average 19 mpg with 21 mpg on a longer highway trip. You would be hard pressed to find an SUV or light truck that does better. Its within a couple of mpg of the V6 3.0 L Escape, and in some cases better. Escape owners are reporting between about 18 and 24 mpg.

Also, if you have the manual trans, it will be more reliable than the A4LD automatic that was used in the early Explorers.

Then there's the "coolness factor", which is easily worth 15 hp, especially if you put in the Hurst shifter (as I plan to do).

Bob
LOL! Since i put the hurst in i have noticed at least a 25 horse power coolness increase.:D

I have a 93 Sport, 5 spd, Tupperware, Dual Cupholders, Trailer wiring, but no hitch or tranny cooler. Can I add the tranny cooler to my 5 spd? I only occasionly tow a 3 rail bike trailer (1500 lbs) but I like the idea of a cooler Tranny. Where do I get one, easy or hard to install?

I found this thread and I liked it, I have a 91 Ford Explorer, made in December 90, Eddie Bauer, 4 doors, automatic, 4x4, 3.73, the change to manual transmission, 5 inch lift, a friend bought a 92 very similar, also the modified transmission occuring manual, and Rancho lift kit installed 7 inch, same axis ratio, he modified the pcm, install center force, and still does not run as hard as mine, feels that lacks power . Actually I failed to know what is due, your engine is 97, mine is the original, limited my speed in 4900 while no longer have that problem, my clutch is factory design and still managed to do things that can not be modified in. He asks me if I did to mine, but the truth is not to be due.

93-94 also have aluminum cast heads... i believe, or maybe its 91-92, i forget

You sure about the cast aluminum heads??? Cus I'm a callin' you out on that.
ALL heads on the 90 through 2000 model year 4.0l OHV (not OHC)were produced from cast IRON... not aluminum as you stated. The lower intake was aluminum... and the upper intake was aluminum in the beginning (changing over to plastic some time around or after the 95 model year).

You find a "FACTORY" installed pair of aluminum heads on an OHV and not OHC, and I'll be amazed.

The Ford Explorer was released in March 1990 as the 1991 model year. First generation Explorers were equipped with the then new 155 hp (116 kW) 4.0 L Cologne V-6, manufactured in Cologne, Germany. Vehicles came with either Ford's own 4-speed A4LD automatic transmission, built in France, or Mazda's 5-speed M5OD manual transmission.

WOW I did not know that?

You sure about the cast aluminum heads??? Cus I'm a callin' you out on that.
ALL heads on the 90 through 2000 model year 4.0l OHV (not OHC)were produced from cast IRON... not aluminum as you stated. The lower intake was aluminum... and the upper intake was aluminum in the beginning (changing over to plastic some time around or after the 95 model year).

You find a "FACTORY" installed pair of aluminum heads on an OHV and not OHC, and I'll be amazed.

This thread is yearrrrrrrrsssss old and he hasnt been on in awile.but yes ford never put aluminum heads on a ohv.they were all cast iron:salute:

Torque and HP

That may be so. One of the mechanical engineers where I work (who is also a car enthusiast) suggested that the manual Explorer may have a different cam. It certainly appears that the 2 versions were tuned differently.

I'd really like to see torque and HP vs. rpm curves, but I never see them in vehicle specs any more. Just torque@rpm and HP@rpm.

Bob
torque is how hard you hit the wall speed is how fast you hit the wall.

Back