directional vs nondirectional tread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

directional vs nondirectional tread

I'm looking to get new tires (for my Suburban actually, but I value your opinion in such matters). I would like to get something agressive. I've seen directional tires like the Pro Comp Xterrains or the new style Kumho Venture MT's, and I like the look. I've seen good reviews for these tires, too. What are the advantages and disadvantages to a directional tread? I'm not looking for a simple tire recommendation, here. I would really like to see a little discussion on the merits of a directional tread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The advantage of directional tread is generally better performance in most conditions since the tread is more specialized. Disadvantage is that you can only rotate them front to rear (unless you want to pay to have them broken down and remounted to the other side occasionally) so in street use the outer edges wear down faster. And if you're 'froading, then they might not work as well in reverse if you're stuck (Baja Claws being the likely exception:D ).
FWIW, about a year ago one of the 4x4 magazines did a mud tire test and Pro Comp X-Terrains finished dead last in mud by a long shot. Good sand and rock tire though, depends on what you're going to do.

Johnny did a pretty good job! :thumbsup:

-Drew

dont go with directionals...you cant back up a muddy hill (if need be) or a snowy hill...

Mud Bug 94 dont go with directionals...you cant back up a muddy hill (if need be) or a snowy hill...
Have to disagree with you a little there Mud Bug(just a little). I run BOGGERS on my Ranger and I just opened up a road for my father on some mountain property he has and busted through some pretty deep snow drifts going in reverse(that way the winch would be pointed towards his truck and easier for us to winch out). I was going through about 1 1/2 to 2 ft. of snow(yes it would have went a little further if I was turned around), but Im locked F/R also.
MrShorty, the main thing I have found with directionals is the lateral traction(as the BOGGERs are). Snow makes for some tricky going, espeacially when sidehilling, I usually am going slow enough that I get the BOGGERs pointed in the right direction and let the paddles do their work. Next set I put on my Ranger will be IROCs(that or sipe the BOGGERs).
Just my 2cents................

X-Terrains are loud and suck balls.

A directional tire can only be rotated on the same side too. If you ever have alignment problems and notice after your tire is jacked up, you won't get a lot of life out of them. I really don't understand the M/T on a street driven truck but hey, that's me.

By the way, X-Terrains are loud and suck balls.

Have to disagree with you a little there Mud Bug(just a little). I run BOGGERS on my Ranger and I just opened up a road for my father on some mountain property he has and busted through some pretty deep snow drifts going in reverse(that way the winch would be pointed towards his truck and easier for us to winch out). I was going through about 1 1/2 to 2 ft. of snow(yes it would have went a little further if I was turned around), but Im locked F/R also.
MrShorty, the main thing I have found with directionals is the lateral traction(as the BOGGERs are). Snow makes for some tricky going, espeacially when sidehilling, I usually am going slow enough that I get the BOGGERs pointed in the right direction and let the paddles do their work. Next set I put on my Ranger will be IROCs(that or sipe the BOGGERs).
Just my 2cents................

dude they're boggers...come on.....BTW put TSLs on the front and its enough lateral traction....plus I wouldent consider a bogger a directional(to an extent)...a micky thompson baja claw is what I consider a directional...

I like the look of those boggers. I'll bet they do real well at spitting mud all over the place.

Question to make sure I understand. When you say "lateral traction seems a little better" are you saying that the boggers seem to do better at limiting the side to side motion that comes on mud/snow?

I appreciate the discussion. Often seen tractors (and other farm/construction implements) that almost universally run a directional tread. I have often wondered if a directional tread would have any advantages for a truck like it seems to have for other off highway vehicles.

no...boggers have almost no lateral traction....TSLs have 90% more....

I misunderstood what bloodbane was trying to say, I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

X-Terrains are loud and suck balls.

A directional tire can only be rotated on the same side too. If you ever have alignment problems and notice after your tire is jacked up, you won't get a lot of life out of them. I really don't understand the M/T on a street driven truck but hey, that's me.

By the way, X-Terrains are loud and suck balls.

I love my X-terrains! The BFG muds were much louder! I'm on my 4 set of X's and I love them but I've only ran those and the BFGs.

Baja Claws are the Shiznit! I love mine! With a 2" TT and AAl on 31's I kept up with just about everything else that I have off roaded with except locked vehicles. Heeps (YJ's and XJ's), Zuks, Mountaineer on 33's (97V8) ;)

Definately worth every cent.

My 2 cents....

I know that some of you peeps got rocks and mud in mind with your tire choice - trust me I ahave had some pretty aggressive tread patterns on some of my vehicles...
but where I drive now, 99% of my concern is deep rain, water and puddles or snow - slushy and wet stuff, not deep powdery stuff. My goal is to not hydroplane or skate over the top, so a directional with good exiting of material gets my first look.

I live on the west coast north of Seattle and I tell you - a directional rain/snow tire makes way more sense here.

All Ima sayin is it depends on the where you plan on drivin... :D

Back