disable 4x4 AUTO? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

disable 4x4 AUTO?

Gonzo:

Is your dash switch on 4wd Auto or 4wd High? Your lighted brown wire mod switch will either be off (no light) or on (fully lit) if your dash switch is in 4wd high. If your dash switch is in 4wd Auto then the light on the BW switch should vary in intensity as the TOD calls for more power to the front wheels.

I didn't use a relay so I can't help you but I suspect that you have done something wrong with wiring the relay if your dash switch is in 4wd auto and you can't get the BW switch light to vary.

Hopefully a wiring guru will chime in. If not try disconnecting the relay and just wire the switch in line in the brown wire. The relay is not really necessary IMO.

Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I have the dash switch in 4-auto, and the rocker switch is on, the light is on all the way. In 4-auto with the rocker switch off, the light is off. I think the relay may be what is keeping the light from flashing when 4-auto kicks in, but I thought there was someone else who made it work with the relay.

On a lighted switch there are 3 terminals - supply voltage, acc. and ground. Do I wire the switch in line using the supply and acc. terminals and ground the ground terminal?? Thanks......

Do I wire the switch in line using the supply and acc. terminals and ground the ground terminal??
Yes, that is what I did, and it works fine. I just couldn't get the light to light up while using a relay, so i just put in the switch.

I am getting serious vibrations and noise/ the faster the louder/ from the right front wheel housing. My ex is a manual button 4wd system. I need to know how to remove the front drivesafts completely and how to both repack the spindle bearings and replace the suspension rubber sections.

your wheel bearing may be bad. thats if i clicks and it progressivle got worse

I've done this on my 98, everything seems to work as it should, but I dont think I have a good ground so the light is always off. But there is 2wd and 4wd auto. The only thing that concerns me is that when the rear tires spin in 2wd i get a clunk once in a while. My guess is the bad ground is not disengaging the clutch completelty, but then it does disengage. I wired it up without the relay by going underneath the drivers seat. Otherwise everything works as it should.

Dan

Ok I'm always a little nervous about wiring so could some explain just how to do this mod. I plan on using a relay so please include that as well. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks.

JPA1982 said:
Ok, well there are about um, way to many posts on this, all of which were good to read,but here is new, the new improved, quick resource for the 2wd mod, hope this makes it easier for others, enjoy ,take care.

Tools needed:
-7mm socket
-3/8 socket extension(10")
-Ratchet
-Flathead screwdriver
-wire strippers
-crimper

Hardware needed:
-14 guage wire(15"x2)
-male/female crimp connectors
-electrical tape
-30 amp switch(doesn't have to be this big, but doesn't hurt, 10amp fine)

Steps: For in dash
*can also find this same set of wires under driver seat,along door trim*
1-use 7mm to undo 2 screws under side of radio bezel
2-pull bezel out
3-undo all wire harnesses from back of bezel
-might need flathead to pop 4x4 harness off
4-place bezel aside
5-use 7mm & extension to take out screws underside of vent tube(pic 1)
533410_69.jpg

6-locate blue harness to the right, with wire colors Blue,Brown,Black,Yellow
-use flathead through hole in bracket to pop harness off,pull with other hand(pic 2)
533410_70.jpg

7-cut brown wire and strip outside(pic3)
533410_71.jpg

8-attach new wire to each side of cut w/connectors
9-attach crimp connectors to other end of both wires (pic4 )
533410_72.jpg

10-run down behind dash to center console
11-connect to 30amp switch

Rock and Roll, u now have 2wd when u want it, and thats 2wd in Hi or LO!! :burnout:

page 2 of this very thread ;)
Adding the relay is the same, only you have to run wires from the relay to the switch rather than just running the cut and extended brown wire ends to the switch.

hey guys i just cut the brown wire in half. i dont want awd unless i sell it then i will hook it back up..and it didnt work, i cannot break the rear tires loose, and i still hear my front driveshaft have a little bump when i accellerate.

any thoughts?

-Paul

Creepin said:
hey guys i just cut the brown wire in half. i dont want awd unless i sell it then i will hook it back up..and it didnt work, i cannot break the rear tires loose, and i still hear my front driveshaft have a little bump when i accellerate.

any thoughts?

-Paul

It only works on V6 models with the Control-Trac transfer case. Unfortunately you have AWD so your unable to do this modification.

Blee1099 said:
It only works on V6 models with the Control-Trac transfer case. Unfortunately you have AWD so your unable to do this modification.
hmm so i guess i need to hook it back up eh?

Vibration and "locked in feeling" Gone!!

:thumbsup: I finally got around to putting a switch in-line with the brown trasfer case clutch wire. Im sorry I waited so long to do this. I didnt realize the vibration and "locked in feeling" i was getting at hiway speeds was the auto 4wd pulling in. It would appear that the computer tells the trasfer case to go 4wd at any speed, all conditions(even dry pavement) when there is about 3/4 throttle applied. The most irritating thing was the vibration that would happen going up slight inclines at hiway speed. When my tires were worn and uneaven it even caused my X to pull to one direction when it would lock in. But now with the bypass switch in the "off" position it drives smooth as silk on the hiway. It even cruises at speed easier since the front and rear drivtrains are not binding at times. My wiring was just slightly different from the plug in the picture, but the brown wire was still the key. Its got to be one of the best mods for my model of Explorer. :D Thanks for the helpful photos.

Mike, sounds like your GEM needs to be reflashed or the speed sensors cleaned. The Auto 4x4 should not be kicking in above 35mph unless the system senses slip as far as I know.

Mike, you may be correct, but I dont think so. All three explorers of this style that I have had, have put forth the same symptons since new. The problem becomes much more pronounced as the tires wear.Maybe some others with the bypass switch installed could chime in with their opinions. Do you have the bypass switch on yours? Again, mine would only engage at 3/4 or so throttle(load) at any speed on dry surface even after just installing new Michelins. :D

I don't have the bypass switch. I've never had any Auto engagement like you describe with mine in the 135K i've driven it. On my second set of Michelins now, and never any uneven wear.

where did u connect the ground to...and i was readin the original thread and they are talkin about realys ans stuff...i dont know much about electronics..so can someone please clue me in..id like ot d othis mod this weekend ot at all possible

For mine I put the switch in the cigarette lighter spot on the center bezel. So I just took the ground wire for that and hooked it right on the switch. If you stick it some where else you could hook into any ground wire or ground it the metal framing in the dash somewhere.

awsome ill try to get that done this weekend

-Davis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back