Do i need extended drive shaft with a lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do i need extended drive shaft with a lift?

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
is it completely necessary? i will not be doing too much off roading while in school right now, so i was thinking about waiting till my money was more available, and doing the extended drive shaft later.

the lift i'm looking at is 4" superlift in the front, and SOA in the rear.

what do you guys think? (i've gotten mixed opinions)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll be able to get away with the stockers, but I've seen the stock rear one fall out with SOA.

THE REAR?!? REALLY?!?

everyone so far has said the front drive shaft i thought.

or do you just replace one?

i'm an idiot

In the rear you will need an extended driveshaft, however, you can get away with it until it's affordable.

I did the SOA and did lengthen my driveshaft. If you're not going to articulate much it won't need extending. You may get some extra vibration though because the driveshaft won't be in the transfer case as much. The front driveshaft shouldn't ever need to be extended.

Originally posted by zensius
I did the SOA and did lengthen my driveshaft. If you're not going to articulate much it won't need extending. You may get some extra vibration though because the driveshaft won't be in the transfer case as much. The front driveshaft shouldn't ever need to be extended.

how much, if you don't mind, did it run you for the rear driveshaft?

I got a new one for about $200. Including u joints. You might be able to find someone who can do it cheaper. I was in a bind and needed my truck running.

I got a new one for about $200. Including u joints. You might be able to find someone who can do it cheaper. I was in a bind and needed my truck running.

$200 aint bad at all

You may get some extra vibration though because the driveshaft won't be in the transfer case as much.

Actually the T/C has a solid, flanged output. The driveshaft splines will be extended farther than they should, which will cause vibration and pre-mature wear.

I ran mine for a short time but it vibrated above 60mph, then it vibrated all the time after the splines wore out completely, thus needing a completely new driveshaft.

I went full custom with a double cardin (CV), extended driveshaft and brand new from flange to flange for $400 including tax and install.

notajp and zenius how much longer did they extend your driveshaft?

Ryan

If i remember correctly ( And I didn't about the flange. Mixing up my cars. Thanks for straightening NOTAJP) my driveshaft was lengthened 1.5 inches. And to correct what I wrote before. My driveshaft wasn't brand new the ends were from my old one. The tube was new. Silly me. I've got to wake up before I start typing.

I just picked up a long bed ranger shaft for 30 bux and its about 4 inchs longer than my explorer shaft. I will be putting that in tonight or tomorrow. to try and help get rid of vibrations

Ryan

sooo..... for me.... a mechanical idiot, what should i do? i'm going to have to have any work done at a shop, and it's gonna be expensive, so whats my best bet?

My rear suspension consists of SOA and AAL, soon to be replaced with new 2" springs. I measured the driveshaft with the suspension fully compressed and fully extended, then at rest (weight on suspension parked on level ground). The static length of my driveshaft from flange to flange is 53". I don't remember my other measurements but with that kind of length and 12" of sus travel, the driveshaft didn't change that much so the stock style splines work just fine.

All you have to do is take your truck to a driveline shop and ask them to extend your driveshaft. They'll measure, cut a new tube and install new u-joints for you in no time. Should run you about $150-$200 at the most. The greatest cost is the length of the tube. I bought brand new flanges with a custom double cardin joint so that was the majority of my costs. The angles are not severe so it was a little overkill but I wanted to guarentee no vibration. With my 17" rims, 35" tires, and custom driveshaft I don't have an ounce of vibration at any speed including 80mph.

two questions:

one- do i need to buy shocks for the rear when doing
SOA since i currently have ARC?? if so, just a pair of
Rancho 9000's?

two- Will my vehicle be driveable after the suspension lift
but before the new driveshaft? i mean, at least
enough for me to drive to the drive line shop?

I don't remember the shock length but you can drive the truck for a while with the stock driveshaft.

Shock length stays the same for a SOA. What's ARC? And there are people who've done the lift and never etended their driveshaft so I'm sure you'll be able to get around for a while.

ARC= Air Ride Suspension

will i have to replace the air ride shocks with regular ones is what i mean?

Well, since the shock length in the rear remains the same you should be able to re-use ARC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

However, if you have ARC all around, you'll probably need to ditch the system.

Back