Do We Have Heat Sensitive Buttons ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do We Have Heat Sensitive Buttons ?

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Curious to know if the lower buttons on the center console panel are heat sensitive, much like you see in some elevators. It seems like the buttons can turn on before I actually touch them sometimes, and with gloves on they don't seem nearly as sensitive. I have to think they are activated by the heat in our fingers ?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious to know if the lower buttons on the center console panel are heat sensitive, much like you see in some elevators. It seems like the buttons can turn on before I actually touch them sometimes, and with gloves on they don't seem nearly as sensitive. I have to think they are activated by the heat in our fingers ?.

Nope. They are capacitive sensing.

That is, they have two layers of conductive material seperated by a non-conductive layer. Putting current through one of the layers creates a capacitor which stores electrical charge. The capacitance can be measured. Touching the button changes the capacitance of the capacitor by allowing current to leak through your body- this change can be measured. Putting your finger "near" the button may cause enough of a change in the capacitance to trigger the sensor. Gloves inhibit this effect because the gloves are insulators and reduce the amount of current drawn from the button.

The My Ford Touch main display on the other hand is a resistive touch screen display. It operates by having a flexible plastic screen with transparent conductive "wires" etched on it form a connection with another layer with transparent conductive "wires". You have to press harder with the resistive display because you have to physically push one layer into the other. I think most people who have issues with this display registering their touches don't press hard enough because you really do feel the top layer bending - to some it can seem uncomfortable. You generally have to press harder on a resistive display vs. a capacitive display.

B.T.W. - most touch screen devices these days (iPad, iPhone) use capacitive displays so people aren't used to the harder force required to push the resistive display. There are good reasons for using a resistive display. They are generally thought to be more durable for one....

Nope. They are capacitive sensing.

That is, they have two layers of conductive material seperated by a non-conductive layer. Putting current through one of the layers creates a capacitor which stores electrical charge. The capacitance can be measured. Touching the button changes the capacitance of the capacitor by allowing current to leak through your body- this change can be measured. Putting your finger "near" the button may cause enough of a change in the capacitance to trigger the sensor. Gloves inhibit this effect because the gloves are insulators and reduce the amount of current drawn from the button.

The My Ford Touch main display on the other hand is a resistive touch screen display. It operates by having a flexible plastic screen with transparent conductive "wires" etched on it form a connection with another layer with transparent conductive "wires". You have to press harder with the resistive display because you have to physically push one layer into the other. I think most people who have issues with this display registering their touches don't press hard enough because you really do feel the top layer bending - to some it can seem uncomfortable. You generally have to press harder on a resistive display vs. a capacitive display.

B.T.W. - most touch screen devices these days (iPad, iPhone) use capacitive displays so people aren't used to the harder force required to push the resistive display. There are good reasons for using a resistive display. They are generally thought to be more durable for one....
Well laid out jrmexplorer. Perhaps Ford should incorporate this information into their next printing of the MyFord Touch Supplement.

There are good reasons for using a resistive display. They are generally thought to be more durable for one....

great explanation btw...

I personally think the benefit of capacitive touch outweighs the disadvantage of using glass, there are also capacitive touch solutions that are born of plastic/plexi that I think would have a good application in a car. I don't know why there isn't more use of capacitive screens in the automobile applications yet. Resistive touch panels are so slow, and inaccurate, especially with some of the small pixel maps we are expected to touch on MFT (i.e.: the plus and minus buttons on the map display, etc)

Thanks for the great explanation, that helps explain things perfectly.

Back