Real Buttons for MFT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Real Buttons for MFT?

Real Buttons for MFT

• Gimme some real buttons, Now!

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Buttons? We don't need no stinkin' buttons!

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Stop picking on it, it's fine the way it is.

Votes: 32 47.1%

• Total voters

VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I was just curious who out there would appreciate actual, tactile buttons/switches that the MFT interface would supplement?

I believe that in a perfect world, my new explorer to be would have actual buttons, not those shiny touch sensitive things, but real buttons you can navigate by touch. They would control the climate (including seats) settings and the radio. Those would be the masters sending their status to the MFT system so we could see the pretty graphics on the screen. MFT would be able to update these master controls, but the buttons/switches would always have the final say. Nothing like a good power button to shut off an offending component. This way, even if MFT craps out, you still have A/C and radio control.

Well, that's just my two cents worth, and maybe not even worth that :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know what your are saying, but I like the design they have; they just need to make it function properly.

ATMs with touch screens respond to commands, so should MFT.

vfral1, you didn't vote! lol

This is true, but how often do you drive an ATM down the highway at 70mph? haha (that would be an interesting experience!) Also, can you use an ATM without looking at the screen (though I have seen some with braille on the buttons)?

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE gadgets, my house is full of them. I feel that Ford made the mistake of removing the tactile response from controlling some of the vehicles most important functions. I realize that voice commands are available, but I shouldn't have to engage in a lengthy conversation to control my vehicle. After watching numerous youtube videos of MFT voice control in action, I have to say that, while it does work for the most part, it is not a fast and seamless way to control basic vehicle functions that might require more frequent driver input than some others.

Also, Ford didn't give the user the easiest choice on how to control the vehicle (beyond of course not opting for the MFT or just buying a completely different car). I shudder to think what my 70 year old parents would say or do when they tried to work all of the goodies.

I hope that Ford fixes MFT, it truly is an amazing piece of technology that I feel I would really enjoy. But until it is 99.9% reliable, give me some buttons to push. An underused button makes trouble for no one, but a crashed MFT system is a royal pain!

What are you all's thoughts on the matter? I'm curious to hear some opinions.

One of the coolest features I have seen is with BMW. They have a button row, labeled 1-6. Each button is programmable to any feature you can do within the iDrive system. So for example, if I want button 1 to start up the nav and set my destination to home, I can. If I want it to Call my wife on number 2, I can. Then it is really easy to activate the features you want quickly. If you can't remember what you programmed a button to do you just lightly place your finger on top of the button and on the screen it tells you what it does. Pure genius!

Touchscreen technology is good, this version simply doesn't work up to the required level.

User feedback upon touching a button on MFT should be crisp and immediate. Guessing whether or not you missed the button isn't appropriate in a cutting edge 2011 design.

How can Apple do it on an iPad?......never had any issues with my iPad touchscreen.

Go on you-tube look at aftermarket installs of iPads in vehicles, they work very well.

This next update will be do or die for Ford and the SYNC/MFT team.

I know what your are saying, but I like the design they have; they just need to make it function properly.

ATMs with touch screens respond to commands, so should MFT.

:thumbsup:

Touchscreen has its places, but to me, being my main controls in the vehicle isn't one of them.

I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to turn up the etc.. I want to be able to reach over, feel the switch, and viola, Bob's your Uncle.. task accomplished..

I do have an Iphone and love how the touch screen works there. I used to have a phone with a real keyboard (and keys). I could type on the real keyboard without looking at it, but thats not a requirement for a phone since its no big deal if I have to look to it, unlike while I'm driving.

~Mark

Touchscreen technology is good, this version simply doesn't work up to the required level.

User feedback upon touching a button on MFT should be crisp and immediate. Guessing whether or not you missed the button isn't appropriate in a cutting edge 2011 design.

How can Apple do it on an iPad?......never had any issues with my iPad touchscreen.

Go on you-tube look at aftermarket installs of iPads in vehicles, they work very well.

This next update will be do or die for Ford and the SYNC/MFT team.

Apple uses capacitive touch screen displays whereas the MFT seems to be a resistive display. Basically with the resistive display you have to press with enough force to push one layer of flexible transparent material to make contact with another transparent layer. Each layer is coated with a titanium dioxide (which is a transparent, yet conductive layer). When the two sheets meet they form a circuit and the system can sense the touch. With capacitive touch screens, two opposing charged transparent layers (using titanium dioxide) are seperated slightly. Touching on the screen will change the capacitance level between the layers slightly which can be detected. The benefits of the capacitance touch screen is generally an easier touch. But the problem with capacitance touchscreens is that they rely on the conductivity of the human body stealing some of the charge and thus changing the capacitance. This means they will not work with gloves. Probably something Ford deemed unacceptable.

I find that if I touch the screen hard enough where I feel the plastic outer sheet touch the inner sheet it works almost every time. It doesn't take much pressure, just enough.

But the problem with capacitance touchscreens is that they rely on the conductivity of the human body stealing some of the charge and thus changing the capacitance. This means they will not work with gloves. Probably something Ford deemed unacceptable.

Except that all the buttons below the MFT screen (at least with the Sony system) are capacitive. So you have to wonder why capacitive was good enough for all those buttons, but then they went with the resistive touch screen.

I'd love to see the 2012 model show up with a capacitive touch screen. The inconsistency between resistive and capacitive touch interfaces annoys me.

Except that all the buttons below the MFT screen (at least with the Sony system) are capacitive. So you have to wonder why capacitive was good enough for all those buttons, but then they went with the resistive touch screen.

I'd love to see the 2012 model show up with a capacitive touch screen. The inconsistency between resistive and capacitive touch interfaces annoys me.

haha.... good point - didn't think of that!

Touchscreen has its places, but to me, being my main controls in the vehicle isn't one of them.

I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to turn up the etc.. I want to be able to reach over, feel the switch, and viola, Bob's your Uncle.. task accomplished..

I do have an Iphone and love how the touch screen works there. I used to have a phone with a real keyboard (and keys). I could type on the real keyboard without looking at it, but thats not a requirement for a phone since its no big deal if I have to look to it, unlike while I'm driving.

~Mark

That's exactly where I am coming from on this one.

Your point about button activation without having to drop eyes down to the switch is a very good point. That's why in Emergency Vehicles the lights and siren controller industry tried touchpads briefly but they weren't popular.

Your absolutely right muscle memory and crisp mechanical response is why physical switching in Emergency vehicles is the norm.

You can keep your eyes on the road, reach down in the dark and move a switch simply by muscle memory and tactile feel.

+1,000,000

The screen looks nice enough. The touch function is horrid. Blame it on the screen, the system, whatever, but it just doesn't work.

Sometimes I touch it and it works just fine, though I still have to look and guide my finger to the desired "button" (make them larger, please). Other times I touch a button and it beeps that it registered my input- and nothing happens for a split second. Sometimes it beeps and nothing happens for a full second or even two seconds. Sometimes it beeps and nothing ever happens. Finally, sometimes I touch it and no beep, I touch again, no beep, I touch again, maybe it beeps and works. What is going on???? The system has one job to do- monitor that screen for input and act upon it. No antivirus in the background, no SETI computations, etc. I hate to bring Apple into it again but they have set a standard level of expectation and MFT is so far from it as to be an embarrassment to Ford.

Our other car is a BMW. The automotive press absolutely hated BMW's iDrive system when it was introduced- they have warmed to it now. BMW has a physical multi-function knob for input as well as an array of ~6 hard buttons around the knob for direct access to various features. Add the aforementioned user-programmable buttons and there are numerous direct tactile inputs available. Even without the buttons, the system responds to the knob input immediately, and every time. I can scroll through Sirius stations, song lists, phone contacts, etc. VERY quickly or use voice commands. I never use the voice commands because they are inconvenient compared to reaching over and pushing a button from memory.

I have ~2700 miles on my Explorer now and I still find myself WAY to distracted by having to look at a screen to get things done.

I wish I could cut this POS MFT out of the vehicle and tape my Android phone in the open space.

I woud be willing to control the temp and fans with old fashioned knobs.

Honestly, this is an embarrassment. 2.7 is worse than 2.4.

Happy with the truck, DISGUSTED with the MFT / SYNC products.

R

Well, I'm still waiting on my Ex, so my experience is ONLY from a couple of test drives, so take it for what it's worth...

I liked that there are buttons on the XLT for the climate controls. It seems that if the MFT craps out, I can at least do climate controls. The volume on/off knob is a nice idea, but I don't know how useful the seek and tune controls will be if the MFT is down. If I don't have a working MFT/SYNC to select Sirius or USB/MP3 player, then I probably wouldn't listen to anything. Still, I don't need music in the car to drive it, but climate is pretty essential to me. I think that's one of the reasons I preferred the XLT dash set up.

You could go for the regular radio instead of the MFT. That would solve your tactile button problems.

Going for the normal radio and foregoing the MFT interface is an option, but I want the MFT interface. I just want some real buttons below it too!

I can only see one situation where I would be willing to forget real buttons, and that would be a voice command system that is powerful, effective, and reliable. If I can say in one breath, after a single button press, the following command: "Driver temperature 72 degrees" and have MFT understand it and do it (99.9%, or better, of the time) with nothing more than an acknowledging beep, I would be perfectly happy.

1995E, in your signature you say your Ex drinks like a Focus. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage you are getting? Thanks.

I wish I could cut this POS MFT out of the vehicle and tape my Android phone in the open space.

I woud be willing to control the temp and fans with old fashioned knobs.

Honestly, this is an embarrassment. 2.7 is worse than 2.4.

Happy with the truck, DISGUSTED with the MFT / SYNC products.

R

You have an "AMEN".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i can say in one breath, after a single button press, the following command: "driver temperature 72 degrees" and have mft understand it and do it (99.9%, or better, of the time) with nothing more than an acknowledging beep, i would be perfectly happy.

+1

Back