Do you wear a seatbelt? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters
The average person has a 200+ degree peripheral field of vision, a helmet restricts that to 140-150 degrees.
I think that depends on the helmet design, like a full-face, half/open-face.

I dont do any motorcycle riding but I've worn a few helmets in my life (biking, snowboarding) and I would rather snowboard with a helmet than not, its almost scary not to especially here in the east coast where its almost always ice -- and sometimes that tree doesn't always move out of the way. I once caught the edge of the board and slammed the back of my head on ice and wowzers, that was a spicey experience, ruined the rest of my day. I'm thinking motorcycle riding is probably the same? Yeah it gets in the way sometimes but it could very well help you from having a very sour day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i always wear mine on the road... it would feel like riding a roller coaster without a lap bar... lol at least for me.... now off road since the body is always rolling and being joinced around while i am shuffling the steering wheel, i take my belt off....no idiots to run into you off road at high speeds right?... also the seatbelt rubs my neck when off road..

Same here. I don't like the part about the driver getting ticketed though, because if the person is over 18, and they choose not to wear one in my car, that is their choice.

Same laws just to the south of you. Driver is responsible for his passengers. In IL they set up road blocks to slow down traffic enough to see if your wearing one. The part most people dont know about is that they will normally have a cop on foot about 1/4 mile b4 the block radioing the block what cars to stop. You might be wearing it at the block but if he saw you b4 that w/o it, busted.

O and I always wear mine. And your not allowed to ride in my truck if you wont!

I always wear a seatbelt and I am very uncomfortable riding in a vehicle w/out seatbelts.

Any accident will almost instantly throw everyone out of their seat. Without assuming that the first impact will be so hard that everyone becomes a rag doll, most of the time a driver can do a better job of avoiding an accident if they aren't slung out of the seat.

And if your driving and restrained, but you have unrestrained pasengers (or gear!), they can become missles that could easily kill you.

My vehicles do not budge unless everyone in the vehicle is belted in...NO EXCEPTIONS. I've seen the results of what happens with no seatbelts in an accident....no thanks!!

Same here and same here. Everyone is belted in my vehicles or else. I saw a t-bone collision at an intersection when someone ran a red light and I saw first hand a kid get ejected through a closed window. Not a pleasent memory.

Helmets, for bikers, legal and should stay that way. It's hard seeing brain matter in the street after a crash. Back in the day, they used to ride bikes with no shirt, no helmet...

I heard of an interesting helmet law proposed, but don't know if it ever passed. The lawmaker wanted to make helmet use optional, BUT...if you were in an accident w/out a helmet, you gave automatic consent for organ donation.

Always, ever since I saw an Ohio Highway Patrol driver training film (1959?) with a guy crushed between the door and doorjamb wedged beside a tree. If he had been belted, he would not have been crushed. When seat belts became available, I had one.
Bill W

I always wear one in the front, without even thinking about it, and i never wear one in the back... Switching either of those just feels really uncomfortable.

And NY's laws are just like everyone elses by the looks of it. 16 or older in the back dont have to wear one, everyone does in the front, truck beds are okay except being above the cab or on the highway... Seatbelts arnt required for kids on a school bus, but they have to be there if the kid wants one, i remember our bus drivers used to use them as punishment, i walked to school from 6th grade till the day i could drive. School buses just scream deathtrap to me

i would just like to add that i got another ticket for no seatbelt, and still are not going to change my ways

I don't even put it in gear unless everyone in the vehicle is buckled up.
I don't need some fool going through my windshield, or crushing my 9 month old just because they didn't feel it was important to wear it.
I wouldn't care if it was my mother, I'd tell her we're not leaving till she's wearing it.

Ben

It depends. I never wear it when im driving or i kno the person can drive decently. I always were it though when im offroad in the explorer. A month ago my friend and i were getting on the highway, he went to get in the fast lane, and out of no wear( i even lookd like always) BAM! a chysler 300c rearend is integra going 95-100mph we were going like 65-70mph. We hit the median spun around and stop right in the middle of the highway. I wasnt wearin my seatbelt neither was he, and neither of us had a scratch. Bad whiplash though haha

I'm curious -- why is it illegal?

I think it b/c in the event of a fire or anything else wear everyone had to get off ASAP with the mass of ppl ruing like chickens with the heads but off to the back some of the younger kids might not be able to undo them fast enough and could kill the kids that's what my bus driver said when i asked he a long time ago.

It depends, Not always on the street do i wearone, but always on loggingroads and the trail. We have a seat belt lay ut it doesnt seem to be enforced. I also wear one when i have my little cousins with me, that way they know to, i usually dont even think about puting it on.

It's such a habit for me, i put it on even when i only have to move my truck 10 feet for whatever reason.

Always on the street, don't typically wear it in the mountains, and don't wear them on busses (my friend has a bus :D).

I always wear mine. Always did when I was a kid too. We had to though, since we'd fly outta the seat if not tied down. Now my passengers always buckle up so they don't fly out too. Learned some bad habits from my parents.:)

Always. Even if I'm just going down the block I click it. Just feel weird without it.

Close door, start ignition, click seat belt, adjust volume and go.... pure routine.

I always get in, start the engine, close the door, and put on my seatbelt, and shift into gear, I don't even think about it anymore its an action preformed by my subconscious....

I don't wanna be the one leaving bloody, head sized holes in the windshield, like in those cars you see at the junkyard, so I wear my seatbelt. I've been in accidents (as a passenger) and would probably not have been walking away without a seatbelt on. I know that in certain circumstances people have been saved by being thrown from the vehicle... but I think my chances of being in an accident where that happens are not as high as one where flying into the dash will do a good job of dismembering me.

well i live in nyc and theres a cop almost anywhere...especially in manhatten you better be wearing your seatbelt...$90 and going up to $110 after aug 1...me personally i probably got over a dozen seatbelt tickets maybe more..waste of money...recently i started wearing it a lot...very uncomfortable...i find the seatbelt mandatory rule to be b.s. if you want to wear it wear it if not then dont....citys trying to make money i guess...easy fine...ive been into about 5 accidents...3 high speed...bad whip lash...one of them i was lucky not wearing one cuz the car landed in the middle of the highway and i had to rush and get out...just one persons opinion

I most likely wouldn't be here today if I wore my seatbelt all the time. I was driving home from work new years eve 2000. It had been snowing all day and at the time I had ZERO experience driving in the snow. Didn't help I was driving a tiny nissan 2wd pickup at the time. I hit a patch of ice and lost it. Hit a tree right behind the front left tire. The cab was a good foot out from the bed after that. I broke my left femur and pelvis from having my foot on the clutch. The left side of the cab crushed and I was pushed across the bench seat after that. My femur and pelvis very likely saved me from brain damage. The doctor said if I was any smaller (I'm 6'5") I'd be dead.

About the only time I wear a seatbelt now is when wheeling and there is a chance of sliding off the side of a mountain.

After bouncing off a concrete retaining wall like a pinball from right to left and flipping over the other wall at 70 MPH I believe God will make it your time. Seat belt or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do but here's the interesting thing: I remember back in grade school when some school buses didnt have seat belts -- why? Is there some sort of a law that says if the vehicle is over some GVWR then seatbelts are no longer required? Just like how bumper/lift laws dont apply to heavy trucks (at least not in MD)?

man those things still dont have seatbelts!

Back