Driver side door adjustment! HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver side door adjustment! HELP!

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
The driver side door on my 1995 2 door explorer does not line up at the top. I tried to fix it and messed it up even more. I loosened the bolts on the top hinge and lifted up the door and tightened the bolts. Well then it was metal on metal where the hood and door meet! So I just put it back how it was. How do I fix this, or is it cheap to have a dealer do it! Here are some pics!

I can see outside while I'm driving down the road when I look behind me, through the door! And I get that annoying highway noise!

IMG-20120516-00701.jpg

CentralPennington-20120516-00703.jpg

CentralPennington-20120516-00702.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A body guy won't be real expensive to line up your door, but you should grab a friend and give it another shot. Also remember, you may need to move the striker a bit too when you adjust the door.

It's not up, it's inward adjustment on both the hinges and the striker.

The driver side door on my 1995 2 door explorer does not line up at the top. I tried to fix it and messed it up even more. I loosened the bolts on the top hinge and lifted up the door and tightened the bolts. Well then it was metal on metal where the hood and door meet! So I just put it back how it was. How do I fix this, or is it cheap to have a dealer do it! Here are some pics!

I can see outside while I'm driving down the road when I look behind me, through the door! And I get that annoying highway noise!

IMG-20120516-00701.jpg

CentralPennington-20120516-00703.jpg

CentralPennington-20120516-00702.jpg
How does the bottom of the door fit? As my98nnj said, you need to go IN with the hinge adjustment. How did it get so far out in the first place,accident? If not an accident, then the hinge must be bad.

The bottom of the door fits fine! It got so far off, because I chase storms, particularly tornadoes, well when I was out on one of the chases, I left my door open while I was filming, and a sudden shift in wind started to close it, then the wind changed direction again and slammed it back open! But for some reason its just the top and side that is off, bottom is fine!

I tried tightening the bolts on the hinges, then when I shut the door, I had to force it open, because towards the front it was caught on the outside, where the door meets the front quarter panel ( I think its called ), so is it more that just tightening the bolts? They were pretty loose, but had to loosen them back to how they were so my door wouldn't catch the panel!

I know this thread is "OLD"...

But I am having a different issue but it's also a TWO-Door body [2001 version]

Initially when I go to pull/close the DRIVER side door it, does not line up with the body striker/lock.

I have to grab the inside door handle & pull up and slam shut.

FROM the outside, I can grab the door assembly at its end and actually lift up as if it's loose... but I can't seem to find which hinge is actually loose.

Again from the outside, I have to lift the door so it actually lines with the door locking latch & body striker/tab. Then use my body-weight to shut the door without slamming it.

...........................................................................................................................................................

Is there any videos or instructions on how to properly tighten the hinge bolts?
I'm guessing pull the inside door panel & remove 6x8 factory speaker so I can get as close to the inside door body-frame.

With a wrench & ratchet at opposite ends, while lifting the door "up" on its end, re-tighten the four bolts, right?

This brings back memories of common problem with those long, heavy doors on the early-mid 70's coupes (think Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Chevelle/etc) where the hinge pins and bushings would wear and cause the door to sag. The problem was never loose hinge mtg bolts. I've never experienced this with any of my Explorers, though. Nor, have I seen it on any at the JY's I often frequent...so, don't know if this would be your problem. Surprised you can't see any play when opening the door and lifting up and down on the rear bottom corner of the door. Maybe get a helper to move the door up and down while you look at the hinges/hinge pins?

As XL describes, I'll bet it's the hinge bushings that are worn. Very common since lubing them is often neglected.
Dorman makes a kit to repair the hinges, available at good parts stores or online.

This brings back memories of common problem with those long, heavy doors on the early-mid 70's coupes (think Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Chevelle/etc) where the hinge pins and bushings would wear and cause the door to sag. The problem was never loose hinge mtg bolts. I've never experienced this with any of my Explorers, though. Nor, have I seen it on any at the JY's I often frequent...so, don't know if this would be your problem. Surprised you can't see any play when opening the door and lifting up and down on the rear bottom corner of the door. Maybe get a helper to move the door up and down while you look at the hinges/hinge pins?
Speaking of memories, I had those long heavy 2 doors on my 70s Mopars - my fave mechanic said (when mine had that sag) "I'll fix it but you can't watch" which meant he would take a board and a pry bar, and lift up with them on the bottom of the door, until it lined up and shut properly!

As XL describes, I'll bet it's the hinge bushings that are worn. Very common since lubing them is often neglected.
Dorman makes a kit to repair the hinges, available at good parts stores or online.

Can you reference a part number, using say RockAuto/eBay/Amazon/Autozone sites?

That's why I'm asking... I figured that involves replacing the entire upper & lower hinge assembly.

I actually don't know what exactly I should be looking for to order

Speaking of memories, I had those long heavy 2 doors on my 70s Mopars - my fave mechanic said (when mine had that sag) "I'll fix it but you can't watch" which meant he would take a board and a pry bar, and lift up with them on the bottom of the door, until it lined up and shut properly!
I still have both doors from a '74 Chevelle sitting in the garage. Weighed one of them once on my shipping scale and, complete with glass, was about 108 lbs IIRC.

Back