driver's window stuck in up position. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driver's window stuck in up position.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
my daughter informed me that the driver's door window would not go down on her 2000 Mountaineer. of course i assumed that meant the switch or motor wasn't working. wrong. as it turns out the glass is somehow stuck in the full up position. the motor and switch work fine, but the glass has pulled out of the track. she told me her boyfriend pushed the glass up by hand because it wouldn't go up straight... hmmm, not sure what that means.

1. what's holding the glass up? out of the track i would think it would just drop, but i couldn't even pull it down with my hands.
2. how do i reattach it to the track? i can get the glass on the track easily enough, but it will have to be glued in with something and if the glass is somehow stuck in the door frame it will just pull out again when you try to roll the window down. i didn't have much time to play with it today. i just don't what the glass to suddenly drop, so i raised the track and told her not to put it down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might be able to glue the glass back into the metal channel --it worked for me using grey RTV and a good cleaning out of the previous glue. I also pinched it a little tighter with pliers.

My 2000 mounty had-(has) this issue. Seems as if the rear track has migrated just enough to allow the metal window holding clamp thingy to snag the lock linkage on the way up or down.
I have a new glass to try, after I get the track all lined up. I thought I had it but it just snagged again last Saturday--rear of window does not like to go "down" so I have to help it. At the same time the door lock is hanging up on "unlock" , even when using the key.

Subscribing.

You might be able to glue the glass back into the metal channel --it worked for me using grey RTV and a good cleaning out of the previous glue. I also pinched it a little tighter with pliers.

My 2000 mounty had-(has) this issue. Seems as if the rear track has migrated just enough to allow the metal window holding clamp thingy to snag the lock linkage on the way up or down.
I have a new glass to try, after I get the track all lined up. I thought I had it but it just snagged again last Saturday--rear of window does not like to go "down" so I have to help it. At the same time the door lock is hanging up on "unlock" , even when using the key.

Subscribing.

thanks for the reply. i think my rear track must be somehow snagging the glass. the thing that moves the window up and down seems to work fine and isn't catching on anything. i think it just pulled away from the glass because the glass got stuck. i've got a more pressing problem, with a rattle from what i believe is the alternator, to address first. i'm trying to see if i can get it rebuilt for less than the price of an auto parts store reman ($139). i don't see any alternator rebuild kits for sale.

update: the re-builder i trust quoted me $135 to rebuild my alt, said they tend to have shaft problems, so i guess i'll get a reman unit with a lifetime warranty.

stuck window problem solved

okay, so i finally got around to taking my daughter's '00 Mountaineer's driver door apart to try to figure out why the widow was stuck in the up position. turns out it came out of the front track and when her boyfriend forced it up he jammed it really good.

i'm guessing one end of the glass must have come out of its bracket. then it got ****-eyed and pulled the other end out. i lubed the window tracks/channels with silicon spray, got the glass back in the channel, squeezed the brackets closed more to try to tighten them up, cleaned them and the glass and re-glued the glass in the brackets using 3M yellow weather stripping adhesive (strongest stuff i know of). then i ran the window up all the way and unplugged the motor so that no one can put the window down until the glue is good a dry. i'll test it tomorrow after the glue drys for 24 hrs.

you'd think Ford could have used a better mounting method for holding the door glass to the regulator, or at least they could have used mounting brackets that were more than 3" long.

you'd think Ford could have used a better mounting method for holding the door glass to the regulator, or at least they could have used mounting brackets that were more than 3" long.

Yeah, there's a lot of things they could have done better; but they didn't...:-(

Back