• Register Today It's free!

Engine clatter after oil change

singularity

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
hey everyone, after a routine oil change today, I started to hear a clatter from the engine.. it initially sounded like the valvetrain but it gets louder towards the crankshaft region. It's the first time I have actually noted this kind of sound - my friend's Camry made the same sort of noise before the crankshaft bearings were busted.. which is why I'm a little paranoid. It's the second time I changed the oil myself.. did everything as before, I only changed the brand from Pennzoil to Mobil Clean 5000 (same grade 5W-30).. no leaks, oil pressure normal, oil is clear in the dip-stick.. I am at a complete loss as to what the cause is. Please Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing

mine also makes a "clatter" or a "clacking" sound, but only now and again. I'll pay attention to the circumstances surrounding the noise and try to locate the source.

teamwork people!!!

Its not a chirp sort of sound is it.

What filter are you using? Some of the filters on the market have poor or no anti-drainback valve, which can cause noise due to oil starvation on startup.

Thanks for your responses everyone!

Its not a chirp sort of sound is it.

No. it's more of a mechanical rattle.. sounds quite like a diesel engine.

What filter are you using? Some of the filters on the market have poor or no anti-drainback valve, which can cause noise due to oil starvation on startup.

I am using a Super Tech ST8A oil filter. Used to have a Fram PH8A previously.

Started the engine this morning.. didn't have the clatter for about 10 seconds. It is also most noticeable at idle.. I guess at open throttle the clatter is just covered up by the engine noise itself.

get yourself a real filter! supertech is what-walmart brand?? this is one of those things when you get what you pay for. the only filter i use is mobil 1 and motorcraft. both have the valves to eliminate dry starting..

Thanks for your responses everyone!

No. it's more of a mechanical rattle.. sounds quite like a diesel engine.

I am using a Super Tech ST8A oil filter. Used to have a Fram PH8A previously.

Started the engine this morning.. didn't have the clatter for about 10 seconds. It is also most noticeable at idle.. I guess at open throttle the clatter is just covered up by the engine noise itself.

As said above, get a quality filter like Motorcraft. Fram are junk, and I don't think the Wal-Mart filter is anything special.

although if you are in walmart buying grocerys next time-WALMART SELLS MOTORCRAFT FILTERS! and correct me if im wrong bu the last time i was in there you could walk out with one for under 5 bucks...dont skimp on your investment ;):thumbsup:

Did you put oil in the filter before you installed it?

hey everyone, thanks for all your input and I took your advice.. I changed the oil filter to a Motorcraft FL-1A but the clatter is still there at idle. Oil levels and pressure are normal. Talked to a few ppl I know.. they said it sounded like the push-rods or the valves themselves.. gonna take it for a run for a few miles this evening to see if it goes away.

Odd how things manage to go bad at the weirdest times- make you think things are related, when they may not be related at all... Let us know what you find out!

I used to use SuperTech filters, when they first came out, they were much larger, and had a lot more media in them. They actually tested toward the top of the list on oil testing sites- but recently they just seem to be getting smaller, and I've gone back to Motorcraft filters.

hey there i am new to the site. It seems to me that alot of us with the ohv engine have the same problem. Mine too has the clatter noise and it came after an oil change. The rig runs awsome does not miss a beat. I have been to three ford dealerships and none of there so called ford speciallists could tell me what it is or if they even experienced it with another customer. So why the same symptoms and surcomstances for all of us. These threads here about engine clatter,marble sounds,knocking after an oil change all seem to stop. Has anyone ever actually found out what causes it. This noise of a diesel engine is driving me crazy.

welcome Derek!!!

I've heard rumor of the OHV's making noise from a build-up of carbon? possibly?
a quick Seafoam treatment should clear it up if that be the case...

If my valvetrain is dying then theres only one direction I'm headed:

Turbo diesel!!!! :cool:

Where could I get seafoam? I live in canada british columbia and no parts stores have heard of seafoam I guess I could hop over the boarder to shucks and see if I could get it there in belingham.

Also as to motorcraft being a quality filter. I cut one in half and it looks almost identical to a run of the mill fram. I didn't think that a quality filter would cost $3.50 at walmart.

I just paid $3.67 for my Motorcraft filter at Walmart 4 days ago. And thank God they dropped the price of Mobil 1 to $22 for a 5 qt jug!!!

timing chain and guides??

I just picked up a jug on Mobil1 5W30 also...it said 26.00 on the shelf, but rang up at 22.00.

I was happy!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WalMart also carries SeaFoam....Bellingham or even Tulalip will have it..

Ryan

Back