• Register Today It's free!

Engine flush with prelube pump

david4451

Reaction score
City, State
cotabato philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford sport trac
I think we have all been surprised how quickly our new engine oil gets dark looking relatively guickly after a change. Looking on Google and youtube, there are recommendations to flush the engine with diesel or kerosene. One guy on YouTube poured a gallon of kerosene in the oil filler, started the engine for a minute or two, drained engine, then repeated. The result was a lot of black fluid drained from engine that cleared up a lot on second flush.

I would never suggest that anyone should try this type of flush using engine to circulate a lot of diesel/kerose. Just out of curiosity has anyone out there tried this? If so what were the results?

On my next oil change I will flush my ST engine with kerosene or diesel, but having installed a pre lube pump I will use this to circulate kerosene/diesel to clean out engine till it is clear. Then once drained half fill with cheap oil and flush with that to remove residual kerosene/diesel.

Please anyone with advise thoughts etc on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you drive one of those old toyota's known to have sludge issues, why do it?

My thoughts are the cleaner the inside of the engine is the better, for all components involved.
As I said I've installed a pumped pre lube system, I'm looking to maximise it's viable uses.

Between my 2 explorers I have driven 320K and not had a single oil related issue. With a toyota I did the auto-rx treatment, as they build up sludge and need to be opened to to fix this. Our Ford blocks do not have this problem. All they need is generic oil changed at regular intervals. Now, if you feel better doing it, go for it. At least detergents and high performance oil does not cause problems when introduced after high miles. Our trannys are a totally different situation, though. Do not do this with your tranny. Introduce new oil slowly and not detergents or snake oil.

Can definitely agree with you on the transmission flush, which I would not do. Just a more regular oil change, extra oil cooler and in line filter.
However, the 4l sohc has a very significant oil related problem ie minimal oil pressure in hydraulic chain tensioners at startup, resulting in the destruction of the plastic tensioners. That was why I fitted a pre lube pump, no chain rattle and no flare now at startup.

Also there are a lot of second hand ST being aquire by enthusiasts, often with unknown service history that may benefit from an engine flush, of the kind I'm going to do. This of course needs a pre lube system and is probably the one and only way to preserve the timing components from premature failure, plus minimising bearing wear at startup.

david4451, I am interested in how this turns out for you. I bought a 2001 a few months ago with 114k on it. Maybe get a couple pictures of what your clean out looks like.

Back