• Register Today It's free!

WolfMatrix

Reaction score
City, State
Tecumseh Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay, here's the deal.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer. It is the XLT 4.0 OHV it is 4WD 4 door. It is my daily driver with 189,700 miles on it.
So far I have replaced the following :
  • Recent Oil Change
  • Trans fluid and filter replaced
  • Rack and Pinion was fixed not replaced it had a leak
The Question is sitting with the heat on full or A/C, Headlights on and in drive not moving there is a clicking when the engine works (normal) but my headlights dim and the engine wants to stall but doesn't. rarely does the clicking in the engine does it back to back every 1-2 seconds and doesn't sound healthy. I do have an audio system pulling 1500 watts to the amp. I'm assuming I need a new alternator because I bought a refurbished one when money was tight and needed it desperately. I also replaced the battery for an 850 CCA battery 2 years ago and the thing tests fine. the lights dim when the bass hits too so that could be an alternator problem, with only the heat headlights, and in the drive when I turn the belt just starts screaming. I was told by my family mechanic I could need an AC Compressor with the clutch plate going out he said. also could need a new power steering pump from when I had the rack leak it ran dry and a reservoir of only Lucas rack and pinion so it could be burning out or something but this was 3 months ago I also Have a Few Codes Full Sys Scan with my blue driver app
P0171 Sys Too Lean Bank 1
P1701 Reverse Engagement Error
P1000 OBD Readiness Test Not Complete
P2200 NOx Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1808/P1804 4WD Low/High indicator circuit Failure
B1323 Door Ajar Warning Lamp circuit Failure

for the lean code i replaced all 3 o2 sensors but i was told i have a intake plenum leak i dont know what that is
and for the reverse engagement code. my O/D light was flashing at me while i was driving so i threw it in neutral and killed the engine and turned it on and put it in drive again and it went away

any input helps sorry for the long fourms thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with the lights dimming, I replaced the alternator, problem solved. You have all the accessories on. Don't you see the voltage gauge needle moving. Take a volt meter and place it across the battery and measure the voltage, you will see it low voltage. A good alt should give 14 volt or more. The AC clutch fail. Just try to more the pulley side to side. A failing pulley bearing will be noisy. I was stop at a light and my engine stalled. It was the ac clutch bearing and the compressor. The seals leak on My power steering pump. I replaced mine. My new pump makes noise some times it could be the fluid I used, the belt or the pump not being fill to the proper level.

I had the same problem with the lights dimming, I replaced the alternator, problem solved. You have all the accessories on. Don't you see the voltage gauge needle moving. Take a volt meter and place it across the battery and measure the voltage, you will see it low voltage. A good alt should give 14 volt or more. The AC clutch fail. Just try to more the pulley side to side. A failing pulley bearing will be noisy. I was stop at a light and my engine stalled. It was the ac clutch bearing and the compressor. The seals leak on My power steering pump. I replaced mine. My new pump makes noise some times it could be the fluid I used, the belt or the pump not being fill to the proper level.
I have my radar detector which reads 14.0 but driving goes to 14.3 at the most. At a stop when my subs are playing it drops to the lowest 13.6

I have my radar detector which reads 14.0 but driving goes to 14.3 at the most. At a stop when my subs are playing it drops to the lowest 13.6
That normal, check your ground wires. That what I am doing now. There are around 5 ground wires and 3 ground studs.

That normal, check your ground wires. That what I am doing now. There are around 5 ground wires and 3 ground studs.
Where are the grounds. I just know of the one from the battery to the chassis

Where are the grounds. I just know of the one from the battery to the chassis
So far I found at the battery , the neg terminal Has 3, (rad support stud, And black cable,; & 1?; firewall there 2 ground studs, ( by EEU, & wiper motor) ground wire from the hood to pass side fender, 2 under front doors( body bushing frame too body floor).

So far I found at the battery , the neg terminal Has 3, (rad support stud, And black cable,; & 1?; firewall there 2 ground studs, ( by EEU, & wiper motor) ground wire from the hood to pass side fender, 2 under front doors( body bushing frame too body floor).
my main go to would be the alternator but also checking the wires

Any other tips? I honestly appreciate the help
Clean the neg terminal it self. I help a friend with the same problem on a chevy. Dim light on cluster. I ran a new wire from the battery neg to the alt bracket. It did not help. The EEU controls the charging on the battery. I did not check grounds at the time. Look under the car at the body bushing under front doors see if the ground wires are there. One on each side. The cluster is in the dash it must used those for a ground.

You also really need to fix the intake plenum leaks
a 97 OHV needs new intake gaskets or you will run lean and cause all sorts of issues since un metered air is entering the engine

Intake plenum leaks are also known as upper intake to lower intake gaskets leaking
where the plastic upper intake meets the metal lower intake
Not a hard job, covered on this forum many times I am sure
Plan to replace the intake gaskets as well as the EGR O ring

You also really need to fix the intake plenum leaks
a 97 OHV needs new intake gaskets or you will run lean and cause all sorts of issues since un metered air is entering the engine

Intake plenum leaks are also known as upper intake to lower intake gaskets leaking
where the plastic upper intake meets the metal lower intake
Not a hard job, covered on this forum many times I am sure
Plan to replace the intake gaskets as well as the EGR O ring

I have an OHV engine (95), that I'm wanting to replace the intake gaskets. 215,000 miles on the original gaskets. Yes it does idle bad.

I find 2 styles available for the lower intake gasket - one piece and a 2 piece. Which is better?
Which brand should I buy, Motorcraft, FelPro?

I like the 3 piece lower intake gasket, not the one piece.
Felpro or motorcraft, both good gaskets, however I usually go with felpro because they are continually upgrading their technology, even for older engines.

I like the 3 piece lower intake gasket, not the one piece.
Felpro or motorcraft, both good gaskets, however I usually go with felpro because they are continually upgrading their technology, even for older engines.

Thanks.

Back