Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now, you may be saying that diesel fuel is more expensive, it will cost more to run. Most fuel estimates for this engine in a smaller truck or SUV seem to be in the 30 - 35 MPG range.

Lets take that previous number of 20K miles a year.
20,000 miles
30 MPG
$3.80 per gallon (checked today)

That works out to $2533 a year in fuel costs. Quite a bit of savings.

Now lets put all that stuff behind us and get down to the big question. Will a 750 lb, 4cyl engine fit in a 95 Explorer at stock height (or close to it) and still retain 4WD?
Good question, let see.

DSCF1741.jpg

DSCF1740.jpg

DSCF1739.jpg

DSCF1738.jpg

DSCF1737.jpg

DSCF1736.jpg

Looks like I will have to mod the oil pan, and make some more room for the starter. Nothing too bad. Height looks good...the hood will close. As it sits is 1/2" higher then the SOHC. So after the oil pan mods, I should be able to drop it down 2" or so. That will put the top of engine about 20 1/2" above the frame rails.
I still have to get some exact measurements front to back. Best estimate is that I'll have about 3" of clearance between the elec fan and the front of the engine.

I'm going to get some before and after weights, we have a scale at work, just have to wait till Tuesday.

:popcorn:

:thumbsup:!!!

You are planning an interesting swap. What transmission are you considering?

Sorry, no picks of the trans. I have a small block ZF S-542 from a F350 that i picked up a few years ago for $75.
I do have to thank Karl (kbabiak) for these though:
DSCF1760.jpg

..Subscribing...:biggthump

Subscribing to this.

Subscribing to this too!

:popcorn:

subscribing also!

I ordered some parts.

-AC/ alt mounting bracket....$45 used. (yes, I'm planning to run A/C)
-Turbo rebuild kit.... $40
-Motor mounts... 13.44 (for both!)
-trans mount... $13.87

I also dug out some other parts:

-Sanden SD7 A/C compressor.... NIB $48.56 shipped (I bought 2 of these a while ago for an OBA setup I built.)
-Flex-a-lite 1st/2nd gen Ranger fan...... $??? no clue. (I bought it new years ago, it didnt fit my 90 4.0l w/ heavy duty cooling. i'll put it too good use now.)

subscribing.. very interested in doing this in the future....

Si

Little update:

Pyrometer ordered. I'll have it thursday.

Talked to the warehouse today. I'm taking the truck over to get weighed later today.

** If anyone in the area has a used steering rack (good or bad) they can let me use to mock this up, let me know.**

Holy crap, man! I just found this thread, you are an industrious little bugger aren't you. I'll check my shed for the steering rack. I used to have one but I have a feeling it may have been scrapped in a previous shed clean out. I'll let you know.

Holy crap, man! I just found this thread, you are an industrious little bugger aren't you. I'll check my shed for the steering rack. I used to have one but I have a feeling it may have been scrapped in a previous shed clean out. I'll let you know.

What else am i gonna do? Sit in my recliner and watch Family Guy? Its not on 24/7.

It is if you DVR it... Lois is hot. Sorry did I type that. Supposed to be inside voice.

I only TiVo the new episodes. I have all the old seasons on dvd. (including "partial terms of endearment" which wasnt aired in the US.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking for the stiffest torsion bars. It seems that the "1" bar is the stiffest (1.09" used in FX4 level IIs), followed by "B" (1.06"). Looks like I will be swapping out the torsion bars. Thats ok, I have to do some front end work anyway. I need to do ball joints, they're starting to make noise. This is going to be a lot of weight on the front end, I gotta make sure its up to the task.

Back