Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I am very jealous and want to do a cummins swap but funds don't allow it. I noticed a decent looking engine on craigslist and since I can't buy it, I figured I would post a link here in case anyone following this thread and was looking for a 4BT of their own.
Craigslist link is here

I am very jealous and want to do a cummins swap but funds don't allow it. I noticed a decent looking engine on craigslist and since I can't buy it, I figured I would post a link here in case anyone following this thread and was looking for a 4BT of their own.
Craigslist link is here

Thats fine if you want to run a chevy trans. The flywheel housing and flywheel usually go for around $600-1000. You would need a ford adapter to use a ford trans. You can usually sell your housing and buy a setup for whatever trans you want to run and not loose any money. If your engine comes with a dodge or SAE housing, they are worth less then the ford or chevy ones.

I would want to hear it run before buying at that price for a (more then likely) 105 HP 4bt. I payed less then half his asking price for my 4bt and it came with a ford housing. They can be run very easy out of a vehicle. You just need a jug of clean fuel, jumper cables, and a wire to the injection pump solenoid.

Sick!!!!!!!!

If your engine comes with a dodge or SAE housing, they are worth less then the ford or chevy ones.

That's good news, because I would like to run an nv4500. Thanks for your insight, especially about it running out of the truck. Where do you hook up the jumper cables and how to feed the fuel?

On the driverside of the engine is a mechanical fuel pump (pick up pump). Drop the pickup hose into a clean jug of fuel.

Hook the jumper cables to the starter. Run 1 jumper wire over to the fuel solenoid on the Injection pump, and 1 jumper to the solenoid on the starter. It should run.

My wifes new car should be in on tuesday, I can get back to work on this sometime after the holidays. :party:

Anyone interested in a nice Nissan Altima, It just needs a motor?

Damn SnoRanger - you are like an Explorer Fab Encyclopedia. I remember when you hooked me up with a trans wiring harness for my 1991 EB a few years back and helped me with some questions about my 5 speed swap.

This project is looking great - going to be following this for sure. Everybody with an SUV/ small truck dreams of this motor and the MPG associated with it - can't wait to see it in an Ex!

Take the white beast out lately? Sure was a nicely done truck.

Thanks man.

The white truck ('94 Limited on 35's, for those that dont know) is out of commission for a while. After I finish this project, I'm starting on that.

The plan:
Convert it to 2 door hardtop convertible. :D
Install the Cobra 5.0l
Install the d44 spindles.
Move the tires over to the MT Classic Locks.
Install the Detroit Locker in the rear.
Gut the interior and bed-line it.

Ok, Back to this.

Wifes happy in her new car.
The Altima sold within 3 hours of putting it on CL.

I spent the day researching and ordering parts.

-Borla XR1 3" in/out muffler.
-DEI Titanium turbo blanket and heat wrap.
-New 12cm exhaust housing for my hx35 turbo.
-Full stainless steel, pipes, clamps, hangers, etc... everything to build my exhaust system.
-Denny T level II fuel pin

I also emailed Hamilton cams to order a 181/210 cam.

I'm thinking that my combo will net me around the 200 HP level and 450 ft-lbs. (Maybe more, I'm learning as I go on diesel performance. )

Subscribed!

anything new with the diesel?

Not yet. I'm kinda trying to push this off till winter is over, this is the only 4x4 i have on the road. The only thing is winter hasnt even hit us yet. It was 60°+ today. So far we've had about a total of 3" of snow from 2 "storms" this year!?!?

Im worried about only having the Cobra, the Supercoupe, or the 2wd Ranger to try driving in the snow. They all have Z rated tires and suck in the snow. Bear with me, It wont be long.

It's cool. It was 70 here thunderstorm last night. Supposed to be 70ish today. I only recall one time this year we had accumulating snow and a couple flurries. The temp here hasn't gone below 27. Last January we were looking at 19 or so. Weird.

The past 2 years we've had feet of snow by this time of year. I guess global warming is finally here. :D

Global warming... it was minus frigging 30 this morning...

I could tell ya then I'd have to...:eek:

Back