Ev build

Dangofaster

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002-2005
Hey all,
So, I'm planning on possibly doing an EV conversion on one of these trucks. My idea is to place an electric motor at the front and rear diffs, and remove the motor, trans, transfer case and driveshafts, exhaust, gas tank etc. Place a tesla battery in the center between the frame rails. I'm also thinking about using two tesla motors (two small front drive units, because they're cheaper than other options).

The gearing on the drive units is such that I'm worried that it'll have too little torque at the wheels if I replace the stock truck diff and use the diff that's on the tesla motor. One motor by itself would be hard pressed to move the vehicle so it would be a full time 4wd set up. Max torque of each motor is 243 lb-ft).

Another hurdle will be hacking the canbus. I expect it will cause no end of frustration!

Any input would be appreciated. Feel free to flame me too. I've searched high and low for a similar build but really can't find one.

The purpose of the truck will be for light truck use, occasional construction project I do around the house, going mountain biking, etc.

I've just always wanted to build an ev and we found that with some of the shenanigans we get into, a light truck would be ideal to have.

Thanks in advance for all your gracious input I'm sure to get lol!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds like an exciting project. Makes sense to replace diffs with drive units. Been wondering about this myself. I'll stay tuned

Back in the 80’s and 90s a bunch if electric rangers were built you may look into how they did it. I believe the engine was replaced with e motors not the diffs
I like your idea! Lots of hot rod people going this route
Tesla batteries are $$$$ aren’t they? I would think some cheaper options exist
I know there are plenty of electric motors shaped to replace your small block v8. Is this not an option?

Like an elevator :) torque is instant

Not to mention eliminating transmission problems, u joints, gas tank, trans lines. Motors, battery and cv axles. No energy wasted dragging a piston back and forth.

Plus with batteries all the weight is kept down low and that is a lot of weight!

I love the idea of an electric atv or snow bike ;) silent travel through the wilderness!

This sounds like an exciting project. Makes sense to replace diffs with drive units. Been wondering about this myself. I'll stay tuned
Hopefully I'll have something to show in a year or so lol!

Back in the 80’s and 90s a bunch if electric rangers were built you may look into how they did it. I believe the engine was replaced with e motors not the diffs
I like your idea! Lots of hot rod people going this route
Tesla batteries are $$$$ aren’t they? I would think some cheaper options exist
I know there are plenty of electric motors shaped to replace your small block v8. Is this not an option?
I think that those rangers retained the transfer case iirc. My hope is to use that space for batteries.
As far as the batteries you can buy an 85kwh battery from a model Y extended range for about $5500. They are long though so I'm hoping I can cram it in there!

Plus with batteries all the weight is kept down low and that is a lot of weight!

I love the idea of an electric atv or snow bike ;) silent travel through the wilderness!

I wanted to build one of these out of a long track tunnel.

There are several e bikes now snow bikes atv’s and Utvs all going electric for sure
I’d be the dude to haul a big ass diesel generator to the basin and charge people to recharge all day :)

There are several e bikes now snow bikes atv’s and Utvs all going electric for sure
I’d be the dude to haul a big ass diesel generator to the basin and charge people to recharge all day :)
Show Me the Money gif - Joanne Ketch | Chrysalis Counseling of Katy

There's kits available to mount the drive units to the differential with a short driveshaft. Standalone controllers make this a simple conversion. Some people take the battery pack apart and fit the cells in the engine bay, where the gas tank was, etc.

I too would try to leave the diffs alone, those would a big hurdle to remove and replace. If the front diff, can handle the torque of the motor, that should make a very reliable drivetrain. Try to build for a high charge rate battery system, so hopefully the technology doesn't get too far ahead too quickly.

Back