• Register Today It's free!

Explore mods for newbie

Mustangdude86

Reaction score
City, State
Orrville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Alright I'm new to this, THIS being the explorer world AND forums. lol Anyhow, I know that alot of mods can be done to the 5.0 with mustang aftermarket parts. But what exactly. Say would Trickflow or Edelbrock Heads or intakes work? What about throttle bodies and all that jazz. I'm happy now that I got something that's finally over 200 hp again. Now I want more. I'm planning on doing the manual shift 4406 mod deffinately. Another thing, exhaust. has anybody done a header back exhaust with just mufflers at the end or know of pre bent parts or is it all going to be custom? and one more thing. I know the rear end is an 8.8, so i can find gear ratios pretty easy for it, but what the heck is the front set up and can gears be obtained easily? What are the factory ratios?

ok well if you have the 98 XLT 5.0 then you dont need to worry about heads and intake manifold. It comes with the GT-40P heads which r really good and you also have an intake manifold used on the Cobras. As far as exhaust (personal preferance) me and quite a few others have a Mac catback exhaust. Heres a link for that.
http://www.explorerexpress.com/exhaust-catback-aluminized-9698-explorer50-before-12898-p-337.html
They also have a really good cold air intake on that site for our 2nd gens.
now as far as headers go only one company makes headers for our explorers and thats torque monster. Go to www.torquemonsterheaders.com they are definately worth the money. now if you are looking for a programmer we have a great guy on the forum named James Henson that helps all of us out with programers and tunes. you can contact him on here or on www.hensonperformance.com hes one of the most helpful guys on here. now if u want engine work there is a really good 347 stroker kit for the 5.0. ide talk to JTsmith about that one. hes another really good helpful guy. GL with your mods and such.

welcome and good luck with the mods

Back