• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

scottfmc

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Platinum
We have several company car 2011 Ford Explorers at our campus. All were built between 11/8/10 and 11/22/10. A significant percentage (4 of 7 identified so far) have a rattle seemingly coming from the passenger-side A-Pillar beginning at a speed of about 60-65 MPH and up.

I used a little plastic tape to isolate the problem. The first piece of tape I applied at the base of the exterior A-pillar trim and covered the end of the trim, the sealing gasket, and part of the cowl. This did very little at except maybe raise the MPH at which the noise started to about 70 MPH instead of 60 and maybe change the tone of the noise from a rattle to a little more of a buzz.

The second longer piece of tape was applied over the first and about 2/3rd up the windshield covering the trim and gasket. This stopped the noise completely

Has anyone else seen/heard this issue? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I had not noticed anything like that, but am wondering how can we find out when our Explorer was built?

The only odd thing I've noticed was that once when I was closing the open moon roof while driving around 70 mph there was a strong burning smell. It had to be from the motor on that since there was nothing burning in the vehicle and there was no other outside air coming in at the time. The smell went away after a couple of minutes. It didn't happen other times I open/closed it, but wasn't going as fast then either.

If you look at your Window Sticker, there is a long series of numbers and spaces in a box just to the right of the box near the bottom labeled FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT. The last set of numbers is the month, day, year of the planned build (i.e. when the vehicle was invoiced and sent to plant to build). It is usually built that week unless there were some holds.

The burning smell has been reported by others. Conventional wisdom is that it is the Catalytic Converter burning in. It goes away in 2-3 days. How long have you had your Explorer?

I've heard of that issue and it was found on the first builds of the Explorers built in November of 2010 before the OK to Buy date (December 1st or so). Keep in mind most of these were used to fill Fleet orders. Another user did the same thing as you, taped the front A-pillar and the noise went away. The gasket didn't seal correctly. It's my impression this was fixed after the first 5000 or so as I haven't heard anything north of 8000 complain about this.

Users on the facebook page the blueOvalForums noted this too but haven't heard anything else for a good month now.

All my info agrees with yours, Edge929 - thanks!

I bought mine on January 8. It's at the dealer now waiting to see what is wrong with the MyFord Touch which died (I posted elsewhere about that) so I'll have to wait until I get it back to check the sticker since it's in the glove box.

No rattle in my X at this point.

Skobama - Just curious. What is the last 5 of your VIN? Just wondering where your Ex was in the build order. Supposedly the A-Pillar rattle is an early build issue that has been resolved.

I have the a Pillar rattle and MFT went completely black and had to have the "radio module" replaced (it has worked fine since then).

Also, there is an annoying rattle in the rear of the cabin. Not sure where it is but it is very annoying. I pan to take the car in next week.

Is there a fix for the A pillar noise? Anyone else have a rattle in their cabin?

The A-pillar fix, from what I understand, is the dealer replacing the gasket where the driver's side A-pillar cowling and windshield touch. scottfmc could probably explain better seeing as he's done it. Maybe if you ask nicely, he'll post pictures of his temporary mod ;)

Your VIN (6439) would seem to indicate an earlier build. From talking to friend who is a plant-guy at Ford, the pillar rattle occurs on some Ex's built in November and early December and may be caused by a faulty trim bracket. Sounds very fixable. No idea on the rear rattle.

My temporary mod was UGLY! Definately prefer the dealers fix it! :)

Windshield wind noise?

On the Ford Explorer Facebook site their is a discussion thread about noise when underway in the windshield. The area of the noise reported by two on FB differs. Is anyone here experiencing a noisy windshield?

Not in my Explorer. No squeaks, rattles or other odd noises.

On the Ford Explorer Facebook site their is a discussion thread about noise when underway in the windshield. The area of the noise reported by two on FB differs. Is anyone here experiencing a noisy windshield?

Very minor squeak in liftgate if not closed really securely, but nothing else. Cabin is so freaking quiet that I hear every little thing!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front pillar rattle

Hey gang,

I get a noticable rattle from the front A-pillars when on the interstate and there is a heavy cross-wind. Anyone else noticed this?

Just wondering if I should have it looked at or if there is a fix...

4,000 miles and climbing!

Back