Explorer 'A' pillar replacement | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

Update...looks like the passenger side A-pillar is now about to come off, but it may be due to the below. I have dropped it at the dealer for repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 2013 XLT and the driver side is loose at the top. Where did you purchase your replacement kit(s)?

Ok, I went ahead and took some pics in the process...

My exterior moulding broke a few months ago due to road debris, and the inner moulding took some damage, so I bough the new parts finally to replace them.
SInce I had no exterior moulding, I started by removing the inner moulding...

MS8yqZ.jpg

no big deal...

iSBnm6.jpg

The new inner moulding with the 7 plastic tabs, and the old one. Notice there is an 8th tab (not shown) that clips on the marked hole. This tab comes attached to the exterior moulding.

Z6uH3Y.jpg

The new inner moulding in place...

SR9bhD.jpg

The new exterior moulding in place, just apply some pressure, so the tabs can clip into the holes.

zthyFP.jpg

NOTE: Be careful if you need to remove the exterior moulding, since the tabs can easily break. Start from the top, and work your way down...

Read through this thread and am a little confused. Is the top trim reusable? If the mount comes with new clips can I use my old trim piece? The weatherstripping on mine is torn and I’m looking to replace it.

Read through this thread and am a little confused. Is the top trim reusable? If the mount comes with new clips can I use my old trim piece? The weatherstripping on mine is torn and I’m looking to replace it.

No the top trim is not reusable. It would have to be replaced. It will just fly off again. And like others have said, make sure you replace the clips....very important of your new top trim piece will have wings again. Don't ask me how I know. :)

'A' PILLAR WINDSHIELD RETAINING STRIP WEATHERSTRIPPING

The weatherstripping/rubber seal that is attached to the A Pillar Windshield Retaining Strip (PN: BB5Z-803145-AA is deteriorating and part of it has torn away and come off. It looks as though this weatherstripping is part of the retaining strip. Can I order the weatherstripping separately? If not, is it a critical piece? Am I in danger of letting water in and damaging the interior and other things? Thank you in advance for your help.

View attachment 161788

Did anyone ever find out about purchasing JUST the weather stripping???

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
No one has ever just bought the weather stripping that I'm aware of. See post #46. It seems to suggest it is part of the strip as well.

Peter

I am having to go by my Safelite location as they did the replacement and BOTH A pillar trims are coming loose but are still attached.... for now.

I bought the parts to do this replacement myself, passenger side trim flew off. The replacement parts came with a giant tube of auto glass Urethane Adhesive. Is this to go on the weatherstrip? Anyone have any idea how much to use and where I should apply it? thanks in advance.

I bought the parts to do this replacement myself, passenger side trim flew off. The replacement parts came with a giant tube of auto glass Urethane Adhesive. Is this to go on the weatherstrip? Anyone have any idea how much to use and where I should apply it? thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum Darren.:wave:
Did you get the package from Ford? I'm asking because no one that has done the DIY ever mentioned getting a tube of adhesive.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Darren.:wave:
Did you get the package from Ford? I'm asking because no one that has done the DIY ever mentioned getting a tube of adhesive.

Peter

no they are not Ford oem.

My 2017 Sport were both cracked upon delivery. Arnold the body builder must have been the guy installing them that day. Both were cracked at the top and both had some factory glue added for adhesion. I think they are one of the most complicated over engineered trim pieces I have ever encountered. Not to worry, the drivers door pillar/keypad just started flapping in the air at 13k miles. Warranty covered but I just found a flat 2'' x 3'' piece of trim that is some kind of cover piece in the back seat after bringing home some of my daughters soccer team. I have not found where in the heck it goes yet!? The numbers on piece are 2449581 L >PP< and I am actually a pretty good car mechanic, but a bit embarrassed on this one.

Hi CAtoFLin1994, did you ever find out what that part was (2449581 L >pp<? I just found one exactly as you described on the middle seat of our 2017 Explorer Platinum. I looked everywhere around where I found it (even flipped the 2nd row seats forward). Yet everything looks normal. Worth mentioning, in case the dealership broke something else, we just got it back from the Ford Dealer who replaced the second row middle seat seatbelt and also had to replace some bracket underneath the third row seats (they would not stow flat and usually got stuck in a partly folded position). Fortunately, all was covered under the 3-year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. But now I found that "mystery part". Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

I found it! The mystery trim piece that was referred to above (with part # 2449581 L >pp<) belongs on the left side of the center fold down armrest, near its hinge point (this is on a 2nd row, split bench seat). It is used to cover the two torx head bolts that appear to be holding the armrest to the hinge.

Welcome to the forum barnsY90.

1. It's called the passenger side "A" pillar cover.
2. It would be best to take it to a dealer and let them fix it. Another good place would be a glass shop that knows what they are doing with windshields.

The plastic clips that hold this part down are known to break easily and cause noise. Some have even flown off in traffic.

Good Luck!

On the passenger side, the black plastic cover on the top is no longer latched. I can see that the plastic mounting piece has split. What's this thing called (or part number) and where's the best place online to buy it?

Thanks for your help.

rTTYLhg.jpg
On my 2017 the a pillar trim flew off driving down the road of corse it’s not covered by the extended warranty. Why does an expensive car have cheap trim. Sounds like a recall to me

On my 2017 the a pillar trim flew off driving down the road of corse it’s not covered by the extended warranty. Why does an expensive car have cheap trim. Sounds like a recall to me
No recall will be forthcoming. Recalls are issued for 'Safety' realted items. This has been going on since the 5th gen was introduced 10 years ago.

Peter

I am having to go by my Safelite location as they did the replacement and BOTH A pillar trims are coming loose but are still attached.... for now.

Any luck with Safelite? I too had my '14 explorer windshield replaced a year or so ago by them. Passenger side A Pillar trim/cover just flew off on our way from central Michigan to Indianapolis. I had no idea these were an issue and that Safelite should have included new in the replacement.

The issue is with the plastic clips. If they tried to reuse the old ones, chances are that some of them may have broken. This was a problem with the early models and then Ford began including all new clips with the pillar replacements.

Peter

I had a problem with the top end of driver side top trim trying to come loose and was sticking up about 3/4 from the roofline

I got to studying it and my research indicated that the whole assembly (top and bottom) is supposed to be a one use application.

When I lifted the top corner a little bit more, I noticed a couple of flat plastic surfaces sticking up from the bottom piece that would probably hold some adhesive of some sort, and if I applied adhesive to the flat pieces and taped the top piece down, it may just hold when the adhesive cured.

So I put just a dab of pl premium between the top and bottom pieces and taped it down tight with blue painters tape.

I let it cure for 24 hours and when took the tape off.. and bickety bam, the top corner is now back down flush with the roofline.

Cheap fix to delay the inevitable replacement of the whole assembly when my windshield gets cracked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any luck with Safelite? I too had my '14 explorer windshield replaced a year or so ago by them. Passenger side A Pillar trim/cover just flew off on our way from central Michigan to Indianapolis. I had no idea these were an issue and that Safelite should have included new in the replacement.

Yes, they came out and replaced both trim pieces AND GLUED them in place due to the installers experience in having issued with the "locking tabs" not locking long term.

Back